01.10 Episode 10 (#40191-010)
Airdate: December 22, 1985
While visiting his estranged grandfather in Colorado, MacGyver is tracked and hunted down by a contract killer.
Teleplay by: Mike Marvin, Stephen Kandel & James Schmerer
Story by: Mike Marvin
Directed by: Ernest Pintoff
Guest Starring: John Anderson as Harry Jackson, D'Mitch Davis as Axminster, William Frankfather as Barney, Robert Miano as Black, Huck Liggett as Farmboy
OPENING GAMBIT: "KITCHEN MAGIC" Mac rescues a lady general at a beachhouse, then nabs her kidnappers using common kitchen equipment. Written by Terry Nation / Directed by Lee H. Katzin
Nielsen Ratings: 13.2 rating / 21 share / 3rd (49th overall)
Picked a door lock with the awl
blade of a Swiss Army knife,
behind his back, without looking
Used a toaster oven and a bag
of ice as a trigger for precariously
balanced pots as a distraction
Used vegetable oil on the floor
to create a slippery surface
to delay pursuit
Used a hose as a trip wire
Used a chaise lounge as a restraint
Checked for intruders using a
special light to make footprints
visible on a treated doormat
Floated hollow reeds on a piece
of wood to simulate someone
breathing under water
Made a blow gun from a hollow
reed and a whittled dart dipped
in sap from a Urtica plant
Used the sharp edge of a stone as
an ax to chop the branch of a tree
Took out a jeep using a
stuffed vest as a decoy
and a falling branch
Made landmines from pinecones
and pine pitch lit by a match
Made a natural antibiotic by mixing
crushed pyrite (iron sulfide)
Created spontaneous combustion
by igniting floating grain dust
Sawed partially through a
wooden beam to cause the
support to collapse
Harry created a decoy by remotely
tugging on a curtain with a wire
Harry simulated the sound of
gunfire by throwing pine nuts
into a fire
- Big on aliens in Alabama. [MacGyver]
- It has to do with freedom and peace, Harry. And some people who don't like either. [MacGyver]
Well, I sure hope it's worth losing that damn trout. [Harry]
- You sure that'll work? [Harry]
Bud, you are a comfort. [Harry]
- Just what is it that you do, Bud? [Harry]
Well, a little of this, a little of that. [MacGyver]
Well, that... that sure explains it. [Harry]
- There is no clear indication of MacGyver's employer, but he returned the lady general to "the Pentagon," he blew up the nuclear refining plant because "Washington" asked him to do it, and his boss, Barney, is a colonel who works for "the Department."
- MacGyver points a gun at the suspects as he calls for backup, but he does not fire.
- MacGyver wears the brown leather jacket and the Calgary Flames cap.
- MacGyver eats a raw carrot, drinks orange juice, and eats fish for breakfast with Harry.
- MacGyver drives a blue Jeep Cherokee Chief.
- MacGyver's answering machine message: "Hi. MacGyver here. When you hear the beep, let me know what's on your mind."
- MacGyver can pick a door lock with a Swiss Army knife, behind his back, without looking.
- MacGyver says "damn" three times.
- MacGyver states that he hadn't seen his grandfather since he was 10 years old, and that it has been 18 years, which would make MacGyver 28 years old.
- Harry Jackson is MacGyver's only remaining family. He calls MacGyver "Bud," and MacGyver refers to him as "Harry."
- Harry refers to leaving the family after his wife died, MacGyver's father died, and MacGyver's mother died, but as yet the sequence and circumstances have not been made clear.
- Harry also carries a Swiss Army knife and likely taught MacGyver his problem-solving approach to finding solutions.
- John Anderson, who played Harry Jackson, was 63 years old at the time, only 28 years older than his "grandson" Richard Dean Anderson. He is also 6'5½" tall.
- Swiss Army Knife Count: (6)
- Picked a door lock with the awl blade, without looking
- Whittled a dart for a blow gun
- Cut open a plant from the Urtica family to release the sap
- Dug out pine pitch from a pine tree
- Both MacGyver and Harry cut hollow reeds
- Both MacGyver and Harry dug a hole to bury landmines
- MacGyver Science:
- The sap from a plant from the Urtica family is powerful. One dab in the bloodstream hits the neural system and knocks you out for hours.