01.04 Episode 4 (#40191-002)
Airdate: October 27, 1985
MacGyver must help an investigative reporter get out of a Latin American country with incriminating evidence which links a general to an illegal arms dealer.
Written by: Stephen Kandel
Directed by: Lee H. Katzin
Guest Starring: Robin Curtis as Kate Conolly, John Vernon as Dave Ryerson, Gregory Sierra as General Antonio Vasquez, Sam Vlahos as Diego Montoya, Marco Lopez as Gomez, Socrates Ballis as Captain, Abdul Salem as Camel Driver
OPENING GAMBIT: "MAP" MacGyver retrieves a top-secret map, then uses it to escape his pursuers in the desert. Written by Judy Burns / Directed by Lee H. Katzin
Nielsen Ratings: 14.3 rating / 22 share / 2nd (44th overall)
Retrieved the key to a locked door
by pushing it through the keyhole
and drawing it back on a map.
Used a rolled up map as a
Used a metal rod rolled inside
a map as a weapon.
Escaped by sliding down a
sand dune on a map.
Used a map and duct tape to
patch a bullet hole leak in a
hot air balloon.
Evaded a live electrical security
system using a camera strap
with a plastic clip.
Ignited plastique using a camera
flash on the timer setting.
Created a diversion with a church
bell, fireworks, a candle, and a
camera strap as a delayed fuse.
Prevented a pursuit by using a
jeep winch to connect
two jeeps together.
Made a periscope using a
rear view mirror and a compact.
Set a trap to catch
a lizard for dinner.
Created a diversion to steal a
jeep by tossing Kate at one
of the guards.
Created chemical fog by burning
oil with an overheated jeep
Used leather straps and duct tape
on the steering wheel, shift, & gas
pedal to drive a jeep by itself.
Made smoke bombs by igniting
oily rags in metal drums that
Escaped during the diversions by
rolling downhill in a barrel and
swimming across the border.
- It just goes to show you, a good map will always get you where you want to go. [MacGyver]
- So, your name's MacGyver and you're harmless. [Kate Conolly]
- Well, now, Dave, it just might be that I'm working on getting you kicked out of this country, too. [MacGyver]
- Ah, it's not that bad. [MacGyver]
Oh, yes, it is. [Kate]
No, it's not. [MacGyver]
Please tell me how things could be worse. [Kate]
Ah, you're right. You convinced me. We're in a lot of trouble. [MacGyver]
- So, how are you gonna start a fire? Make lightning, or rub two sticks together? [Kate]
Well, thought I'd use a match. [MacGyver]
Aw, shucks, MacGyver, I was looking forward to seeing some more of your Boy Scout stuff. [Kate]
- MacGyver, you don't eat things like that. You call pest control. [Kate]
You know, they taste an awful lot like chicken. [MacGyver]
I don't care if they taste like beluga caviar, I am not eating lizard. [Kate]
- Very next dinner party I give, breast of lizard à la MacGyver. [Kate]
- You're a very... unexpected man, MacGyver. You... keep me off balance. [Kate]
I'm sorry. [MacGyver]
No. I think... I think I like it. [Kate]
- Want to share? [Kate]
That's quite an offer.[MacGyver]
Is that a yes or a no? [Kate]
- What do you see? [MacGyver]
Two men with guns. What do you see? [Kate]
Opportunity knocking. [MacGyver]
- You make it sound so easy. [Kate]
That's to keep me from thinking about how scared I am. [MacGyver]
- Welcome to Mexico. Do you have anything to declare? [Mexican Border Patrol]
Wise guy. [MacGyver]
- I thought your camera was broken. [MacGyver]
I fixed it... MacGyver style. [Kate]
- MacGyver specifically states for the first time that he prefers not to use guns.
- MacGyver states that he grew up in Minnesota and he was a Cub Scout.
- Swiss Army Knife Count: (3)
- Used the blade to open the window latch
- Used the blade to push the key through the keyhole
- Trimmed a candle to use as a fuse for fireworks
- (Presumably also used the knife to prepare the lizard to eat)
- Duct Tape Count: (4)
- Taped the map to seal the leak in the hot air balloon
- Taped a candle to the bell to set off fireworks
- Taped the rear view mirror on the bus
- Taped down the gas pedal to make the jeep drive on its own
- (Kate borrowed some tape to fix her broken camera)