GalaxyCon Richmond March 16-17

EllenD

Re: GalaxyCon Richmond March 16-17

Post by EllenD »

I've keeping an eye out for updates from the convention, but so far it's been quiet. Let's hope a video of the Q&A surfaces ... 🤞I did see numerous tweets on Saturday from (frustrated) people who were waiting in line outside for hours … and I thought Brussels was poorly organised! :roll:

Love the story about the waitress, I can just picture him having fun with that … :)
Life, far more important than what you do for a living - RDA
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

EllenD wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:22 pm Let's hope a video of the Q&A surfaces ... 🤞
I had even attended the panel just before his so that I could move up and get a better seat when the room started to empty out. But it didn't work. :roll: I moved forward as far as I could, and I was on the aisle, but then they decided to put the wheelchairs in the aisle (isn't that a fire hazard?), and RDA came out and took the ONE seat on the stage that I couldn't see at all. I took a few pictures, but they are very poor quality. However, the guy a couple of rows ahead of me seemed to be recording the whole panel - I could see his phone screen clearly even though I couldn't see the stage, and he had a pretty good view. I don't know if he intends to post it, and I don't know if there will be an official one, but they may be out there.

The panel itself was rather typical, questions about how he started in acting ("Twinkies"), his time at "Sea World" (which he corrected as Marineland), and why he left SG-1 (to be with his daughter). All questions he has answered many many times before - he even asked the audience, "How many of you already know this story?" He did get rather choked up talking about his daughter and leaving SG-1 to be with her, which was very sweet. The one question that was new to me was about what's happening with Sea Shepherd, and he did address the controversy, and the split, and the fact that he's not involved anymore, (and Paul Watson's ego), and he concluded by saying that he supports Sea Shepherd and donates to Paul.

This didn't come up in the panel, but I did ask him afterwards about his earlier references to writing a "memoir." You won't be happy with the answer, though. He said he has been trying to write things down (though he hasn't had a working computer in months), but it was only ever intended for himself and Wylie - he never intended to publish anything. So I'm afraid his published life story isn't coming any time soon.

Kate
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Thanks for the update to your early post, Kate. I’ve wondered about Sea Shepherd and Paul Watson, but felt that was probably a difficult and frustrating topic to inquire about. It must be difficult when you support a worthy cause, but the internal politics are concerning.

The memoir. That would have been really great, but not a bit surprised to hear we’ll never see it.

I feel for Rick and his non-working computer. If my computer tech wasn’t my son, who is on-call for mom 24/7, mine probably wouldn’t be working either.

Thanks again, Kate, for all that you do.
MacGyverGirl

Post by MacGyverGirl »

Thank you, Kate for your very timely updates. Your lovely dinner was well deserved.
"I say we trust our instincts, go with our gut. You can't program that. That's our edge."
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

GWhite wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:44 pm I feel for Rick and his non-working computer. If my computer tech wasn’t my son, who is on-call for mom 24/7, mine probably wouldn’t be working either.
In his case, the issue is apparently age. (Of the COMPUTER! :D ) He said he has had it a long time and it has just been getting slower and slower until it's not really useable anymore. (I can relate - I had to upgrade my Windows 8.1 computer some months ago.)

He also said that he has been doing everything on his phone for months, but recently he went out computer shopping and he will be getting a new one soon. He also said he is signing up for a class to learn how to use it. And he promised to keep in touch more regularly when that happens. (We'll see.)

But here is an example of why it is complicated to keep his messages updated here on the site: I thought maybe he'd send a little "Thanks Richmond" kind of post after the convention, but instead, today's text was:

JAEGER MEISTER!!!!

Which makes NO sense out of context, so how can I post it? But here is the context: For some reason we had gotten on the topic of alcohol and cocktails, and he was trying to remember the name of the red liqueur. It wasn't coming to me, either. He even got up and walked over to the bar to look at the bottles to see if it would ring a bell. I should have just googled it then, but we had put our phones away. After I got home, I finally did google it, and texted to him:

Grenadine!

So that was his response. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kate
Skurk

Post by Skurk »

:lol: I wouldn't call Jägermeister red. And I still don't understand why it's so popular overseas... :lol:
Prost!
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Kate, I decided not to quote your post back to you, because I really don’t do well at that for some reason. So …

Old computers: I had to replace my old windows laptop last year. My son the IT guy informed me it was impossible to update any longer. I figured if he couldn’t do it, there was no way I could. I totally sympathize with both you and Richard.

Phones: I use my iPhone for almost everything now. After all, it’s a computer, too. I only use my laptop when I need to use a usb. My friends think it’s because I’m too lazy to grab my laptop, but honestly, it’s because some things are just easier (and I’m lazy).

Like you, I’ll wait and see if Richard sends more notes. Me, being hopeful but skeptical ;)

We did get to see Richard’s note, since you posted it here. That’s a fun tidbit. I can picture him peering at the bottles behind the bar. Thank you so much for sharing it. Made me smile.
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

KateR wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:25 pm This didn't come up in the panel, but I did ask him afterwards about his earlier references to writing a "memoir." You won't be happy with the answer, though. He said he has been trying to write things down (though he hasn't had a working computer in months), but it was only ever intended for himself and Wylie - he never intended to publish anything. So I'm afraid his published life story isn't coming any time soon.
Kate, Thank you for all the updates and news from the front lines, as it were! :D I was sorry to hear about the memoir, but not surprised. You had warned us awhile back not to get our hopes up and I can certainly understand his wish to share those written remembrances with Wylie alone. In keeping with that, I wanted to thank you again for assembling such a rich archive, (one that doesn't require inserting one's head into that dang head-sucking device! :lol:), as all his notes and photos, interviews, and convention appearances may be as close to an in-his-own-words-and-emojis-and-photos memoir as we are likely to see. Whether his new computer and classes result in more regular contact... or not ;), I'm sure they will vastly decrease his frustration. And then who knows what he might decide to do! :D ;) jp
Last edited by LTTPlits on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacGyverGirl

Post by MacGyverGirl »

Ugh! I can relate to anyone with computer malfunctions. While I am fortunate to have a 24/7 tech consultant in my son (I am in good company with another member), he couldn’t help when my work laptop froze while doing a routine update. I spent quite a bit of time with the IT help desk and even he was just guessing about what to do because he never came across that problem before! :o I have moved away from my desktop in favor of my laptop, but I do prefer to use my laptop over my phone for most functions. I could not imagine being without my laptop for the length of time that RDA has been. Perhaps a tutor would be a better option as opposed to classes, although I don’t know how he learns.

All I remember about Jägermeister is that Jaeger Bombs (during my era, Jägermeister shots with beer not energy drinks) were pretty standard at college frat parties. I don’t like beer and I think Jägermeister tastes like cough syrup. 🤢

I second JP’s sentiments, that your work on the website is much appreciated and without parallel. And the website may be as close as we get to a memoir. 😊
"I say we trust our instincts, go with our gut. You can't program that. That's our edge."
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

This is similar to the link already provided by Steffi but it gives two short video clips, instead of a succession of stills. jp

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4nRev_u3qb ... QwdzZzbg==