GalaxyCon Richmond March 16-17

bluegirl

Re: GalaxyCon Richmond March 16-17

Post by bluegirl »

Dutchie81 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:47 am I'm eagerly awaiting Den Bosch next month!
I guess you won't be as nervous as you were in Brussels anymore! 8-) :D
The stuff is already there. I just find a different way to use it.
Dutchie81

Post by Dutchie81 »

bluegirl wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:40 pm
Dutchie81 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:47 am I'm eagerly awaiting Den Bosch next month!
I guess you won't be as nervous as you were in Brussels anymore! 8-) :D
I sure hope I'll be able to say more than the 15yr-old giggling and talking jibberish I managed in Brussels :lol:
Any problem can be solved with a little ingenuity.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

I just got back from Richmond.

I have no idea how many people were there, but the line to get in on Saturday was more than 2 miles long, and it took 3 hours, just to get inside! Thank goodness the weather was glorious.

RDA didn't have it any easier trying to get there. He texted me Friday afternoon saying that his flight to Dallas was diverted to Waco due to weather, so he had missed his connection. (Let's face it, Richmond is small, and there are only so many cities that will fly there - LA not being one of them.) Anyway, it was about 3pm and he was in Waco, trying to get to Dallas, or to any other city with a connection to Richmond, and he finally arrived in Richmond at 12:30am Saturday. Then a few hours later he was at the convention signing autographs. He did one Q&A for the event - that was on Saturday - and of course autographs and photos. He and one other celebrity were the ONLY two still signing when the place closed, so there he was in an empty convention center signing the last of the autographs a half hour after the building had shut down. But we still managed to get together and have a lovely dinner and chance to catch up afterward.

I didn't get a lot of pictures (I was in exactly the WRONG seat to try to get a view of him during the panel), but I will try to get the few that I have uploaded before I leave on another trip on Friday.

I will be away during his next convention (he will be in Paris, I will be in the Netherlands), so there will for sure be a delay in getting anything uploaded from there. But if anyone has anything to share from any of his appearances, let me know and I will try to get things added when I can.

Kate
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

KateR wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:18 pm I just got back from Richmond.

I have no idea how many people were there, but the line to get in on Saturday was more than 2 miles long, and it took 3 hours, just to get inside! Thank goodness the weather was glorious.

RDA didn't have it any easier trying to get there. He texted me Friday afternoon saying that his flight to Dallas was diverted to Waco due to weather, so he had missed his connection. (Let's face it, Richmond is small, and there are only so many cities that will fly there - LA not being one of them.) Anyway, it was about 3pm and he was in Waco, trying to get to Dallas, or to any other city with a connection to Richmond, and he finally arrived in Richmond at 12:30am Saturday. Then a few hours later he was at the convention signing autographs. He did one Q&A for the event - that was on Saturday - and of course autographs and photos. He and one other celebrity were the ONLY two still signing when the place closed, so there he was in an empty convention center signing the last of the autographs a half hour after the building had shut down. But we still managed to get together and have a lovely dinner and chance to catch up afterward.

I didn't get a lot of pictures (I was in exactly the WRONG seat to try to get a view of him during the panel), but I will try to get the few that I have uploaded before I leave on another trip on Friday.

I will be away during his next convention (he will be in Paris, I will be in the Netherlands), so there will for sure be a delay in getting anything uploaded from there. But if anyone has anything to share from any of his appearances, let me know and I will try to get things added when I can.

Kate
Thank you for keeping us posted so fast , Kate ! :) I didn't know you were going to Richmond . So glad you could have dinner with Rick in spite of all the problems and delays ... poor man he must have been exhausted on Saturday evening . We may have a video of the panel ( fingers crossed ) somehow . Again THANK YOU !
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

https://youtu.be/oWW15CT9MfA

19 seconds after the beginning of the video ... you'll see how Rick looked this weekend :D
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

tvero80 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:26 pm I didn't know you were going to Richmond. So glad you could have dinner with Rick in spite of all the problems and delays ... poor man he must have been exhausted on Saturday evening.
I don't go to most conventions, but Richmond is practically in my back yard. When he said he was going to be there, I said I hoped we would have a chance to connect, and he texted back, "OF COURSE we should connect ~~~ Jeepers!"

We were both pretty exhausted yesterday - he from a long flight and a full day of being "on" for the public, and I from standing in line for 3 hours and then walking endlessly to kill time until the evening. We considered meeting on Sunday instead, but figured we'd both be even more tired by then, and he still wasn't sure how early he would have to be up for his flight home, so we figured Saturday was best.

Funny, the waitress was bubbly and friendly and a little flirty and kept striking up a conversation, but she had no idea who he was. She asked what brought us to town, and RDA described the GalaxyCon. Then she asked what goes on there, and she said, "A lot of famous people are staying here this weekend, so maybe they are all here for that." RDA asked her name and said he almost named his daughter that, and she asked if his daughter lives in Virginia too. He introduced himself and me, by first names only, but it still didn't click for her. He was loving it that she didn't recognize him, and he kept playing along. She didn't get his humor either. He asked for chicken on his salad but didn't want it chopped up so when she said it would be sliced lengthwise, he said he'd prefer it widthwise, and she assured him she would make sure the kitchen did it that way. (RDA loves to customize his food.) Several other times his deadpan humor went right over her head as she was so anxious to be accommodating. She apparently just assumed that we were a pair of scifi geeks who had flown in for the convention. She asked if we would be going back again today, and RDA said yes, he would be there in the morning. But not why. ;) To be fair, this waitress was probably about 25, too young to remember Stargate even if she were into scifi, and WAY too young to remember MacGyver, and RDA didn't look like either MacGyver or O'Neill with his long white hair and full beard. It was rather amusing to watch each time she came over.

It was midnight before we finally said good night. I hope he got some sleep. Now he's back again still signing, but I had seen/done all I needed to, so I was able to come home early.

Kate
Skurk

Post by Skurk »

Very nice, Kate! And enjoy yourself in the Netherlands!
Here are some pics of the q&a - not mine, of course

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4lvh43xLHa ... xxb3VicnIx

Steffi
ttrana

Post by ttrana »

Thanks Kate and Steffi for the pictures and report on the Con! I’m always looking forward to see anything on the conventions he attends. I love seeing the videos at the Q &A’s that he does too!
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Thank you, Kate, for keeping us up to date. It sounds like an exhausting time, but fun. Apparently several flights were diverted because of weather (a local friend was also diverted, but not to Waco). I hope the trip home wasn’t quite so bad.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Thank you for the news Kate! I must have been exhausting for both of you... :cry: Rick looks good and i hope he enjoyed the convention, despite the organisation... Thank you for the anecdote in the restaurant! :D