Post by LTTPlits »

My pleasure!!!! :D
KateR
Site Admin

Re: Website Upgrade

Post by KateR »

Hold your breath.

I may have fixed the problem.

Or rather, my web host may have come to the rescue.

JP, did my email come through?

:shock:

Kate
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

I just exhaled! Your email came through, Kate! So, yes, your web host fixed it. They have defeated the evil that Gmail can be. :D Now I will have to decide whether to transition back.... ;)
Nice when good triumphs! 8-)
jp
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

:D :D :D :D :D

I never would have been able to follow the bizarre string of instructions that Google listed for becoming "verified." But apparently if you knew what you were doing, it only took a few clicks. Thankfully, my host knew what he was doing. I may have just forgiven them for all the mess they put me through with that upgrade. ;)

Now, can we please have a few months without another crisis??? :roll:

Kate
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Amen to that, Kate! :D :D :D
And, as one of the people affected by this one, may all crises, if they must happen, be as equally minor and as easily resolved as this one was!!! :lol:
jp
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

I should add a thank-you to JP, too, for reaching out. She was the second Gmail user I tried to respond to and couldn't. From my end, it just seemed that it was up to the receiver to update their spam list to let the messages go through.

There was no clue from Google in the error messages, and indeed, this whole thing was supposed to start next February anyway. Besides, being a small domain, it never should have affected me at all. So I would have had no idea what to look for or what to correct.

My web host recognized the problem immediately, thank goodness, but that means that all the big bulk senders would have already had the proper settings in place, so the only ones who were being affected were small sites like mine who were getting blocked with no explanation. And it's very likely that Gmail users are now also not receiving messages from lots of other sites and having no idea what is missing or why.

Thankfully JP found the link from Google that I could send to the web host to clue them in to what was going on. And thankfully they corrected the problem without charge.

I think we're back to normal now.

I need a break. :roll: :D

Kate
JB5

Post by JB5 »

Well done Kate (and jp!!) and many thanks for sorting this :D You deserve another holiday now!!! :D :D

J
Skurk

Post by Skurk »

Well then that's good news.
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Kate,

I echo J's thanks to you. I may have alerted you to an issue and sent you some info about it but I could only do so because you are so responsive and available to Forum members... and cared enough to query your web host on our behalf. I can't help it but I always think of Goa'ulds now when I hear the word, "host," :lol: though they are the innocent and good half of the equation, which yours showed by resolving the issue so quickly and without charging you (perhaps Tok'ra, though Jack doesn't always find them so helpful :lol:)! I think you're absolutely right that this impacts the smaller sites so much more. It's sobering to think about all the emails recipients may never receive because Gmail has bounced them back and are none the wiser about what they're missing. And even if we are, we can't do anything about it unless senders, like you did, step up to the plate.

So, thank you and here's hoping, Kate, that all is now "steady as she goes," (to borrow from my other favorite "star" franchise ;) ) and that you get your well-deserved shore leave. :D

jp
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

AR%%&@GGGHH@*%$!!!!

Gmail is at it again. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Once again, any message sent from rdanderson.com is being blocked by Gmail. And this time my host says it is not a DNS issue but it is Gmail's spam filter. The ONLY thing I can think of that might have triggered it is sending out the "Updates" email. A group email to about 2500 people once every one or two months is considered spam??? (Even though their own guidelines say the limit should be under 5000 emails per DAY?) If that's the case, then thanks to Gmail I will have to end all Update emails. :x :x

In the meantime, I don't know how to undo Gmail's blockage, so please be aware that if you write to me from a Gmail address, I will not be able to respond to you.

Seriously, can I not have ONE month without some sort of website crisis???

:roll: Kate