Website Upgrade

Skurk

Re: Website Upgrade

Post by Skurk »

I know, it doesn't help, but the requirements for IT security are increasing. Unfortunately, this means a lot of maintenance for "older" websites and also that you have to deal with cryptic requirements.
What exacly is the error message that gmail sends?
Your web host should at least be able to say more about it than that it's not the old problem! As I'm sure you've read, google gives several reasons that you have to ensure as the sender. That's already deeper IT knowledge. I hope your privider can help you or you can send me some more input to my email. As I'm currently sick in bed due to Covid anyway, I could at least do some research if you like.
Regards
Steffi
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Steffi, thanks. As you pointed out in your email, it could have been as simple as the fact that I forgot the "s" in the URL this time. But that is cause to block ALL emails? I'm not sure I want to keep risking it.

The strange thing is that all the Updates emails SEEM to have gone through. At least, I wasn't getting any error messages from them. But AFTERWARD I tried to respond to an individual fan and it bounced back. And then I tried to send a test message to jp - I'm guessing she never got it? That bounced back too. And the bounceback messages both simply say that Google has decided these are probably unsolicited emails, so they have been blocked.

I wonder how many Gmail users never know what messages are simply not getting through? :roll:

I've written to Gmail, and the reply says it will take about two weeks to get an answer. In the meantime, Gmail users will not be hearing from me. :evil:

Kate
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Kate,

I just saw your posts and can confirm that I didn't get your test email nor was I in the least bit aware that you had tried to send me one until I read your post! So, yeah, I'm afraid they are once more gumming up the works. How like them to decide without consulting the user just what is or is not unsolicited email. I shudder to think just how much truly important email has been turned away at the gate and I'm never the wiser. Incredibly annoying... GRRR!

My sympathies to you, Kate, for having to deal with this. Again.
jp

PS: Maybe those who use Gmail might consider, given all these problems, transitioning to another mail service, just for the Forum at least. I already had another one in use, so was easily able to abandon Gmail for the Forum. But I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to do and I'm sure, Kate, you'd be so pleased not to have to deal with them anymore!
MacGyverGirl

Post by MacGyverGirl »

I don't have Gmail but only get notifications for PMs but I guess maybe I didn't set my preferences for other notifications.
"I say we trust our instincts, go with our gut. You can't program that. That's our edge."
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Hi MacGyverGirl, If you want to get emails about updates to favorite topics, you can turn on notifications, by using the drop-down menu next to the wrench on top of the topic in question. The first choice is an already checked box, "Subscribe topic." When you click on the box, a message will pop up letting you know that you have subscribed to that topic and then the box itself becomes unchecked and the label turns to "unsubscribe." That's the way to turn off notifications, if you change your mind. Hope that helps... if you decide you want those notifications! ;) :D jp
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

LTTPlits wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:30 am How like them to decide without consulting the user just what is or is not unsolicited email. I shudder to think just how much truly important email has been turned away at the gate and I'm never the wiser. Incredibly annoying... GRRR!
Exactly. On my end, I get the bounceback email so I know it wasn't delivered, but the recipient never knows that anyone was trying to reach them. And neither of us knows WHY. It's one thing to have a spam folder that regularly misdiagnoses spam - at least you can go find the missing emails. But this is indiscriminate blocking without warning, or any way to fix it, or any option to turn it on or off. It's another of the many reasons I DON'T have a gmail account.

I'm told that after a certain period, perhaps a week or two, the block should be lifted, as long as I don't try to email anyone at gmail. Well, why would I, if I know they would never get it? My inclination is to stop sending out the Updates emails altogether, but then, I'm not actually sure that that was what caused the problem in the first place. :evil:

In the meantime, if you hope for a response, use something other than gmail.

Kate
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Kate, I understand your complete annoyance with Gmail... and while I still see some value in having a Gmail account (in fact I have two! :o :shock: ), when this first surfaced as a problem here, it was easy enough to switch to a different non-Gmail account for the forum and communicating with you. In case you were serious about stopping sending the update emails altogether, which would be very much missed, would you consider requesting current and new members NOT use Gmail if they want Update emails and responses from you with an explanation of the multiple time-consuming and unresolvable problems Gmail causes for you? Then, if they still want to use a Gmail address, in the spirit of caveat emptor, is there any way to filter out sending emails to Gmail addresses when the updates go out? Then you would be done wasting your time dealing with Gmail! I plead complete ignorance about how the web site and Forum function (just grateful they do!), way above my pay grade, but, while I totally understand your frustration, I'd hate to see a valuable feature lost because of the high-handedness of Gmail, the Goa'ulds of the email world! :evil: GRRR! jp
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

My host and I are still trying to figure out how to resolve this problem, but with no way to contact Google, that is nearly impossible.

It's been nearly three weeks, and all emails to Gmail are still being blocked. Once this is resolved, I will almost surely have to suspend the Updates emails. I may also need to suspend notifications from this Forum, for example when you request to be notified if someone has responded to a specific topic.

People with Gmail addresses - I assume you are still not getting those notifications?
People with something BETTER than Gmail - are those notifications still working properly?

Can you believe it, this is so much of a widespread problem that there are actual websites about it?
https://www.rackaid.com/blog/gmail-blacklist-removal/

Gmail users, who knows how many important emails you're not receiving just because Google thinks you shouldn't. :roll:

Kate
MacGyverGirl

Post by MacGyverGirl »

Hi Kate,

The only notifications I am signed up for are private messages. Everything else, I just periodically check the website, especially if I posted an answer in the forum that I am awaiting confirmation for. Other than that I get enough emails from elsewhere. I am always purging my inbox. I digress. I don't use my Gmail account here so I am getting my notifications.

Sorry to hear how frustrating this is for you but you are doing a fabulous job! :)
"I say we trust our instincts, go with our gut. You can't program that. That's our edge."
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Kate,

Since I switched to a BETTER than Gmail email for the Forum, I have been receiving all notifications from all the topics I've subscribed to, along with those letting me know about new PMs. I can't believe that there is a website dedicated to this! Oh, Gmail, what have you wrought!

Now, it just occurred to me that, I may be conflating email updates and email notifications. I'm not sure now that I ever received anything other than email notifications about responses to Forum topics and new PMs. Are "email updates" a different animal??! If so, I never signed up for them, don't even know how, and wonder what I've been missing ;), and can't tell you if my version of BETTER than Gmail can receive them.

Thank you, Kate, for all the time you've spent trying to straighten out this mess. I hope that once this is resolved though, that there is some course other than to suspend email notifications from the Forum about topic responses and PMs, as I really appreciate them and would very much miss them (and if I knew what the email updates were, I would likely feel the same about them! :D ) jp