Website Upgrade

KateR
Site Admin

Website Upgrade

Post by KateR »

My ISP informs me that my server must undergo a required upgrade, and as soon as possible since I will be traveling in September.

This means that the site will be down for several hours at a time, but the HOPE is that it will all be working properly once it comes back online.

I will be backing up the Forum and Fan Mail and other php data this evening. Any posts after that may or may not make the cut.

This also means that the site cost is increasing. I have been looking into alternative hosts, but it is very difficult to find one that can handle the size and bandwidth. The site is about 60GB in size and draws sometimes more than 2TB in bandwidth in a month, mostly because of the Video Gallery. Any recommendations are welcome.

Please be patient while the server works through the latest update! Thanks.

Kate
Jo56

Re: Website Upgrade

Post by Jo56 »

Thanks for the information, Kate. Good luck with all that stuff...
Life is too short not to have fun. My way of life! :D
Jo56
Flor

Post by Flor »

Muchas gracias Kate por tu información !!!
XX Flor 🌸
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

A little update...

My web host has completed the preliminary checks required before the upgrade, and they have let me know they will wait until after I return from my travels to complete the upgrade itself. So it will be October 1st that the site will be down for a few hours. Hopefully it will be back up and running shortly afterward.

I want to thank all the people who wrote with suggestions for other hosting companies that might be able to handle the size of the site for a more reasonable price. I'm considering making the move.

I have also begun to consider that after 26 and a half years, it might be time to accept donations to help with the costs. I don't want to require a membership or fill the pages with advertisements, but at least a donation would be optional.

So, once all the upgrades are in place, I may be makng a few updates. To make it worth a donation, though, I really should add some new content beyond RDA's occasional notes, so I have been trying to motivate myself to finally complete the MacGyver Lexicon. I just bought a new computer. Once I get a Blu-ray player to connect to it, I'll start looking into that as well.

Meanwhile, I'll be gone for most of the month of September, but I'll try to check in from the road. :)

Kate
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

KateR wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:32 pm I have also begun to consider that after 26 and a half years, it might be time to accept donations to help with the costs.

So, once all the upgrades are in place, I may be makng a few updates. To make it worth a donation, though, I really should add some new content beyond RDA's occasional notes, so I have been trying to motivate myself to finally complete the MacGyver Lexicon.

Meanwhile, I'll be gone for most of the month of September, but I'll try to check in from the road. :)
I'm really glad to hear, Kate, that there is going to be a way for us to support the website. But from my point of view which is admittedly SG-1(and RDA)-centric ;), no new content is necessary to make the website worth a donation. It already is and eminently so! (I'm sure a lot of MacGyver fans would agree!) Have a great rest of the summer and travels in September. And as always, thank you for creating and maintaining such a wonderful resource and, in the Forum, such an interesting and fun place to interact with like minds! :D jp
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Kate, LTTPlits said it perfectly. You already know I’d be happy to donate a bit to help maintain the site. In the meantime, I plan on doing a little shopping through the store.

I love new content, but am perfectly happy with what is here. Such a great place to visit, and a wonderful resource! You have done a marvelous job.

That’s not even to mention the occasional notes and pics from Richard, which I adore, and the information you provide.

Enjoy your travels, Kate.
JB5

Post by JB5 »

Absolutely agree GWhite and jp!

Kate - this is an amazing site and massive kudos to you for it, and for keeping it going. 👏👏👏 :D

I too would be more than happy to make a donation to help. And whenever I make an Amazon purchase I do try to remember to do it through the store on the site - hopefully the pennies from this all help in a small way!

Safe and enjoyable travels!

J 8-)
MacGyverGirl

Post by MacGyverGirl »

Count me in, Kate to donate and make purchases through the affilliate links!

I appreciate your professionalism and dedication. :D

Safe travels!
"I say we trust our instincts, go with our gut. You can't program that. That's our edge."
Claire

Post by Claire »

Thank you Kate for those informations. And thank you again for all what you do to keep this site alive. ♥️ I would be happy to help. Enjoy your trip! 🙌🏻💛
Beata

Post by Beata »

Thank you Kate,

Keeping this site alive is a good idea, and I would be happy to contribute.

Beata
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver