New remasteristed Macgyver

Beata

Re: New remasteristed Macgyver

Post by Beata » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:42 pm

Beata wrote: ↑Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 am
by zoeryan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:38 pm
Don't faint when you watch the opening gambit of Trumbo's World in HD :lol: ;)
Are you kidding Zoe, I fainted during the very first episode, and was never the same after... LOL
LOL, what happened to you when he was wearing just a towel then :lol:
ZOE !! I forgot about that scene, because I was in a dream world for hours ! LOL.
"another day, a whole another set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:51 am

Any electronics experts here?

I bought the remastered MacGyver DVDs, because, well, you know, I HAVE to. ;)

But I don't own a Blu-ray player. So, I'm now trying to decide what I need to buy.

In order to get improved captures for the website, I need a player that will connect to my computer. I've found several that connect by USB, some are only players, some are also writers and act almost as an external drive. That would be fine, but I have to consider things like, does it power itself through the USB or need an additional power source, is it plug-and-play or do I need to install drivers, is it compatible with Windows 8.1, and does it come with software to play the DVDs and make captures, or can I use my 5-year-old version of PowerDVD to do that?

But then it would also be nice to be able to play the Blu-ray discs on my nice big 4K smart-TV. So I need to consider, does it use HDMI, must it be plugged in directly or can it connect wirelessly, and if it can write DVDs, does this mean it acts like a DVR with Blu-ray resolution?

I've researched online, I've talked to the guy at Best Buy, but I'm still not even sure if there is such a thing as a device that does BOTH (computer and TV), or if I am talking about two different purchases here. The product descriptions are not all that thorough.

Any advice?

('Cause the MacGyver Lexicon isn't growing anymore until I get this figured out! :P )

Kate

zoeryan

Post by zoeryan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:24 am

First off - yay on the high def screen shots! :n)

What I would imagine with computer peripheral players is that they would connect by usb to your computer, and then to play them on your tv you would connect the computer to the tv via HDMI so the tv is essentially an external monitor. Screenshots can be tough if the devices or software has a blocking element so it comes out blank if you screenshot (most streaming services have this so if you do a computer or phone screen grab the image is blank). So possibly you would need software to rip the video file from the blu-ray, at which point you can screenshot the video file, and play that on your tv as you would other computer files....

Which is a lot of writing to say - good question, if there is an easy way I'm not sure! Unfortunately my only Blu-ray player is my PS4 or I would try to play with computer software to help you out.