Re: Thank you, Kate

Post by Cornelia »

Danke Kate das Du Ricks neue Bilder und Notiz gepostet hast :D :D
Dank auch an Rick :D
Skurk

Post by Skurk »

Wow, I envy you, Kate! What an event!
Thanks for posting this private pics of Rick :)
Dutchie81

Post by Dutchie81 »

Thank you Kate for continuing to give us small insights to Ricks personal life. It is always a joy reading the text messages he sends you.
Any problem can be solved with a little ingenuity.
EllenD

Post by EllenD »

Thanks for sharing, Kate! Hope you enjoyed it as much as Rick did and indeed had a safe trip home.
Life, far more important than what you do for a living - RDA
ergomac23

Post by ergomac23 »

thank you kate for giving us notes and photos from rick always appreciated :D
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Thank you, Kate, for sharing Richard’s note and pics. It sounds like you both enjoyed the eclipse. You did get a great picture, and Richard looks very comfy stretched out on the lawn (very nice yard - wish my grass looked that good ;) )
JB5

Post by JB5 »

Thank you from me too Kate for sharing your eclipse conversation with Rick and pictures with us. How amazing to have been there to see totality! Truly an experience.
8-)
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

I've finally returned home. That was a long way to go for a three-minute "show."

This is the second time I have experienced a total eclipse. The first was in 2017. And there is nothing quite like it. Both times I wanted to just stand in awe and not try to fiddle with a camera, thinking that I would be able to find plenty of photos online afterward. But the thing is, a camera can't really capture it. The pictures always seem to make it look as if the sky is black, and the eclipse itself a rather fuzzy black and white image. It's not.

Right up to the very last moment before totality, you must still wear the glasses because it is too bright to see safely. And the landscape around you mostly looks faded, like a cloudy day. Then, suddenly, it slips into totality, you remove the glasses, and there is this gasp and cheer from everyone around you. It is spectacularly magical. The sky is not black - it's a deep royal blue. The landscape is not dark as night, rather it is like twilight, and the horizon all around you takes on a bit of pink like a 360-degree sunset. And the SUN becomes this crisp pitch-black hole in the sky, surrounded by the bright white of the corona. This time, you could actually see the prominences of the sun with the naked eye - shooting out in bright pink. For three whole minutes you get to witness this and realize why ancient people must have thought the sun, and the world, were ending. You just can't explain it.

I didn't actually take that picture. The guy next to me as we watched had a setup with all the right filters and telephoto lenses, and he offered to share his pictures with me. As soon as totality ended, you had to look away again, and the rest was rather anticlimactic. That's when I texted RDA that I was working on getting a picture to him, and he responded, "Just pay attention to the sky!" I knew he meant that he didn't want me to miss anything on his account by futzing with a camera, but it made me smile. All of us who had just seen it realized that anything else was just an afterthought. We were saying how sad it was that people who had only ever experienced a partial eclipse thought that they had seen "an eclipse." Someone on the news had said that seeing even 95% or 99% coverage was like going to a Taylor Swift concert and sitting in the parking lot. :lol: We all hung around and glanced up occasionally until the end, but THE EVENT was over after three minutes. And so that's when we were emailing the photos to each other.

It was a huge risk to plan this trip 8 months out, having no idea if the weather would cooperate. In fact it rained the day before and the day after, but on Eclipse Day, it was spectacularly clear. And worth all the effort. Seriously, if you ever have a chance to witness a TOTAL eclipse, grab it. :shock:

Kate
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

It must have been amazing. I’m so glad you got to experience it. It was worth taking the chance.

I think the next one is in Australia in 2028. That would definitely be worth it!
Skurk

Post by Skurk »

Ageed! I had one chance in my life to see it in Germany 1999 and took it. Well, I must say it was cloudy that moment so we couldn't actually see the eclipse but it was dark and the magic was that right before all animals were instantly quiet. That was strange... well, next eclipse in Germany will be in 2081. So to see it once more means travelling. Indeed it is more often on the American continents!
Keep your memories of feelings. You're right. Pictures will never replace a personal experience!