for the man's 65th birthday...

Fandango

Re: for the man's 65th birthday...

Post by Fandango »

The "leader" should probably be the person willing to do all the hard work. They will be in control in the end, anyway.

Caty, it sounds like it was very fun with your uncle! I'm not so sure how it would go with Rick, to be honest. He's always had a good sense of humor, but our guy has always been acutely aware of his appearance. When he got heavy, he took it kind of hard. His being unhappy with his physical state showed in all of those pap videos. He is getting older and he knows it. In the world of entertainment, that means a shift in the kind of roles normally available to an actor. For a guy who has always held the dashing lead role, the 'alpha' on set, being 'reduced' to side 'character roles' could really sting badly.

I don't know. I think Kate would be more attune to how he would take such friendly jabs.

I know this is transposing, but give recent events...with Robin taking his own life...it points out that guys in Rick's age range are just a bit more vulnerable to not being happy with their life's position, in a number of ways. Maybe we should take it kind of easy on the 'you're getting old' stuff and concentrate more on the 'we still love you' stuff. It's hard to go wrong when you tell someone that they matter, that they are important in this world, and that they are loved.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Fandango wrote: I know this is transposing, but give recent events...with Robin taking his own life...it points out that guys in Rick's age range are just a bit more vulnerable to not being happy with their life's position, in a number of ways. Maybe we should take it kind of easy on the 'you're getting old' stuff and concentrate more on the 'we still love you' stuff. It's hard to go wrong when you tell someone that they matter, that they are important in this world, and that they are loved.
I agree.I don't think we should focus on his age too much...

V
cmbj67

Post by cmbj67 »

Fandango wrote: Maybe we should take it kind of easy on the 'you're getting old' stuff and concentrate more on the 'we still love you' stuff.
Exactly. I have the feeling that on his birthday he feels a bit down because another year has gone, so we should avoid reminding him his age, we should make him feel still loved by many people and precious to many people.

I'm not big in imagination, have no clue how to make a video and my time is limited, but I'm happy if I can help somehow.
Claudia
Kti

Post by Kti »

Fandango wrote: I know this is transposing, but give recent events...with Robin taking his own life...it points out that guys in Rick's age range are just a bit more vulnerable to not being happy with their life's position, in a number of ways. Maybe we should take it kind of easy on the 'you're getting old' stuff and concentrate more on the 'we still love you' stuff. It's hard to go wrong when you tell someone that they matter, that they are important in this world, and that they are loved.
I also agree with you absolutly and think it's a very good approach.

I mean the birthday websites under Kate's features offer a good template. 2003 I really like and 2005, I find a nice idea.
Maybe one (only one) lovingly designed birthday greeting. Among everybody writes what they value so highly of the person Richard Dean Anderson.

Superb, I also found the idea when for one his birthdays fans in his name donated for one of RDA's supported charity organization.

Am I only safely without Kate is nothingness here.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

IMHO: I know I'm just "the new girl" here, but I doubt Rick suffers from any form of profound depression like Robin Williams did, however I do agree that anything focusing on his age would be a mistake... take it from this 62 year old woman... that kind of ribbing should only come from very close family members & dear friends. Personally I think he would appreciate a donation made in his honor to one of his beloved causes where he sits on the Board, like the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society or the Challengers Boys and Girls Club.
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

There is a Charity section on this website where you can make a donation to one (or more) of RDA's charities. There is an "Ecard" option to send a gift card to mail@rdanderson.com
If you can't say anything nice.....

xena

Post by xena »

hey guys,

nice to know you like the idea to do something for the man's birthday. :)
maybe after we do some brainstorming, we can make a list of the alternatives of what to do..
i also agree we do not focus on the age but we focus on we still love you idea..

and i definitely think we should do something FUNNY!
cmbj67

Post by cmbj67 »

Exactly, it must be funny. How about a video with funny pictures, something funny written on it and a funny song?
Claudia
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

PamK1950 wrote:There is a Charity section on this website where you can make a donation to one (or more) of RDA's charities. There is an "Ecard" option to send a gift card to mail@rdanderson.com
I couldn't make a donation for RDA's charities, still struggling with Paypall, so I donated to a foundation called Warchild, wich tries to get childsoldiers out of war and try to give them a normal life again, in honor of RDA's birthday, and wrote it down in the guestbook.
Lots of love,

Lies

Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

PamK1950 wrote:There is a Charity section on this website where you can make a donation to one (or more) of RDA's charities. There is an "Ecard" option to send a gift card to mail@rdanderson.com
Yes, I've seen it... been following KateR's site for Rick for years :)