Just my two cents

tvero80

Just my two cents

Post by tvero80 »

I tried very hard to find a name for a subject/thread which can deal with … just about anything . That's what I meant . Talk about anything if you feel like it . But in a respectful way, of course . This isn't Ok Corral ;)
First like Lies said I hope we didn't offend anybody when we spoke about the primaries in the US ( these elections seem so complicated for foreigners …)
Then about the major threat , this virus spreading… maybe we overreact over here (in France) but since tv programmes talk about it all the time , people are getting scared .
To finish , tomorrow is women's day .Some may wonder why just one day ? I guess it's better than nothing ;)
Have a nice weekend ,everyone .
If you think my thread is silly or useless (we don't express our opinion on current affairs here , because it's just a fan website) , well it will simply disappear very soon .But since Rick seems to have a clear cut opinion on …various things I thought it was worth starting it.Just my two cents ;) Thanks for reading.
bftlovesRDA

Re: Just my two cents

Post by bftlovesRDA »

tvero80 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:23 pm I tried very hard to find a name for a subject/thread which can deal with … just about anything . That's what I meant . Talk about anything if you feel like it . But in a respectful way, of course . This isn't Ok Corral ;)
First like Lies said I hope we didn't offend anybody when we spoke about the primaries in the US ( these elections seem so complicated for foreigners …)
Then about the major threat , this virus spreading… maybe we overreact over here (in France) but since tv programmes talk about it all the time , people are getting scared .
To finish , tomorrow is women's day .Some may wonder why just one day ? I guess it's better than nothing ;)
Have a nice weekend ,everyone .
If you think my thread is silly or useless (we don't express our opinion on current affairs here , because it's just a fan website) , well it will simply disappear very soon .But since Rick seems to have a clear cut opinion on …various things I thought it was worth starting it.Just my two cents ;) Thanks for reading.
Hi, V,

I think this is a great thread idea! It's not silly or useless.

The primaries on "Super Tuesday" in the US were interesting because one candidate, Joe Biden, sort of came from behind (in the polls) and won the majority of the states in which the primaries were held. There will be more primaries in the months ahead. Then the Democrat Party convention will be held in August in which the final selection of the Dem candidate will be done. Although with this virus, I don't even know what they will do about holding that convention....since large gatherings are starting not being held. The Republicans will hold their convention in August also (in Charlotte, NC) IF it is held.

That brings up the coronavirus topic. Here in my county, Wake County, North Carolina, we have 1 case of it. It is a man who went to Seattle where there is a "hot spot" of the virus in an eldercare home. He visited that eldercare home. But the officials say he is isolated at home and is doing well. The virus is on our news every day all day also....so it's hard to avoid being concerned. I have stocked up on some basic supplies - enough to last me a week or two if for some reason I am quarantined. That's all I am doing besides washing my hands all the time and just avoiding anybody who appears to have a cold or a cough (so far I haven't been around anybody like that).

Are any others taking any steps because of the virus?

Thanks V for starting this thread.
B
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

The life is too short... So just enjoy and Have a nice dayyyyyy
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks, Karine....hope you enjoy your day also!
B
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

As I said yesterday , today is women's day . Here's a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt:
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
Now you can meditate on that , ladies ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks for that Eleanor Roosevelt quote, V.

Ok, in honor of women's day - here is a quote from Corrie Ten Boom - one of my favorite woman authors - The Hiding Place; Tramp for the Lord; Amazing Love; Not Good If Detached):

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.
B
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Hi everybody, V what a great great great great great idee of yours!!!!

Around here people are hoarding food. It was crazy in the stores, and then to think we had our first deadly victim Friday and today 188 cases of the 17 million people in the Netherlands.
I'm looking after hygiene, at home and at the shelter/protected living area I work, but furthermore I am not hoarding or something.

Boy, is RDA a Lucky guy or what????😜

Have a good day everybody!!!
Lots of love,

Lies

bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Hi, Lies. Thanks for the graphic and the quote.

OH, so people are mobbing the stores there. Here so far we only have 1 case of the virus in my county in North Carolina and that person is apparently doing well but is in isolation.

When I went to the grocery store here two days ago, there was plenty of basic supplies but no hand sanitizer and no hand soap. Everything else was fine. However, I don't know how it is today.

I did buy some toilet tissue, some canned fruit, some canned veggies, some canned chicken breast and lots of peanut butter. These are only if for some reason I am quarantined and can't get out to a store. Although we have something called "instacart" which is a way to order items from the grocery store to be delivered to my house. So there is really no need to worry about being quarantined as far as food or TP is concerned.

Also, I received an email yesterday saying that the CDC (center for disease control) had said that if someone is elderly or has impaired health they should just stay home! But I went on to church today and was glad to see that most everybody who would be considered "elderly" in my Adult Bible Study Fellowship class was there! I know if we get more cases of the virus, that may change but for now people here are not panicking.

Thanks for your discussion on this topic.
B
rjas441

Post by rjas441 »

Annalies, I think people are hoarding so they don't have to be exposed more often to potential sick people by going out shopping. It's said the virus can live on surfaces for up to 72 hours. Plus during the incubation period you are contagious but might not show symptoms. I haven't hoarded, but plan on picking up a few extra supplies that have a long shelf life that I will use anyways. I have syncope (blackouts) & can't drive or get out often so I keep extra stuff when I hurt myself.
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

OH, so people are mobbing the stores there. Here so far we only have 1 case of the virus in my county in North Carolina and that person is apparently doing well but is in isolation
Well yes, almost... a few months ago our neighbourhood had no water for a few hours in the morning, noticed when it was 7 am.... I have 3 supermarkets near me, and we went for some water around 8.45 ... ALL the water was gone, from the big packages till the little bottles..children got run over because the grown ups saw a last little bottle of water in the back of the shelf... and at 10 a.m we all had water again.. maybe its dutch or typical local in my neighbourhood, I don't know... when it was announced that the first person here had the virus the first week people were almost crazy.. and no one is looking after each other, they go only for themselves.. That can make me angry. We are all in the same situation, I hope people can keep a bit of rest and patience and think about each other and share. Get enough but leave something for the others....
I haven't hoarded, but plan on picking up a few extra supplies that have a long shelf life that I will use anyways. I have syncope (blackouts) & can't drive or get out often so I keep extra stuff when I hurt myself.
And that sounds logical and is needed.
And also sounds like you are having a hard time..

I also am taking bit of arrangements.. but just like you all do. I also cook large but that's because it's cheaper so I always have fresh meals in my fridge.

And I really don't like the way the media brings it around here... they dont think about the people either.. just pouring and pouring info but I can imagine people are scared and hurt because of it.
Lots of love,

Lies