Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

KateR
Site Admin

Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

Post by KateR »

"Things That Make You Go Hmmm..." was a running theme on Arsenio (and apparently inspired a song), so I'm wondering if it might inspire some conversation here.

How often during the day does RDA pop into your head for one reason or another? Maybe something happens that sparks a memory of an encounter, or a scene from one of his roles. I'll begin with an example.

Today I was grocery shopping, and an abandoned grocery cart in the middle of the aisle reminded me of RDA:

When we had met in Toronto, he was doing a lot of shopping. At one point he was waiting in line for the cashier, and the person about four people ahead of him in line was taking forever, unprepared with money, or confused, or for whatever reason was holding everyone up. RDA was getting more and more impatient and aggravated, and afterward he explained that he is not good with waiting and one of his pet peeves is people who thoughtlessly make others wait. (Never mind that he himself is most often the one who is late and holds up others, but that is a different topic...)

Anyway, I told him that one of my pet peeves is thoughtless people in grocery stores who leave their carts in the middle of the aisle and then walk away to look at something else. He answered that that annoys him too, so he just takes the person's cart and wheels it to another aisle so they have to go looking for it. :shock:

So now, whenever I encounter a thoughtlessly abandoned cart that I have to maneuver around, (no, I don't steal it and move it), instead of getting annoyed, I just picture RDA stealing it and it makes me smile. :lol:

So, any other day-to-day things that make you go hmmm, and RDA springs to mind?

Kate
bftlovesRDA

Re: Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Hi, Kate,

That's a funny story.......LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every time I use my walker at my home, I think of what he said at the Raleigh Galaxy.con about my walker when I pushed it past him at the photo op booth. He said he had 3 of these at his home......I'm thinking due to his past knee surgeries probably and/or his many other surgeries.....I said well these come in handy sometimes.......So I think of him all day every day since I use my walker every day.

Also, whenever I hear someone say, "Sweet" or "Morning, Campers" I think of RDA as Jack O'Neill.

I am re-watching the SG1 DVD's and enjoying them so much. But what they make me think about is how sad I am when I get to Season 7 and 8 because RDA is not in those episodes very much and I know I am nearing the "end" of his major role in SG1....and how much I wish there had been more. Just can't get enough of RDA!
B
ergomac23

Post by ergomac23 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that is soooo funny i can't stop laughing thank you Kate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

for me when i am in a shop and i walk past a shelf that has those rubber ducks bath ducks what ever you want to call them i smile every time as i remember those photos rick sent when he was in south Africa back in 2012 he was bored and sent a series of photos

"'Finally, mother Rubber Duckie, can contain her instincts no longer: a bloodcurdling roar is all I recall, yes, a roar.'"

it never fails to make me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

this story is so funny Kate. love the others too. I just adapted a lot of funny lines and words from Jack O'Neill. It's just for my own entertainment, really.

Best example pops in my mind: I was shopping with my husband. He was looking for something on a bottom shelve and I was a bit behind. When i court up with him, I walked passt and just dropped the line 'and we walking' (from sg1 2010). He nearly fell over for laughing.
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

Kate, your story reminds me of my everyday life in our shop.
Time and time again, "homeless" shopping trolleys get in the way, and I keep asking myself, why do customers use a shopping cart when they're sneaking around the aisles, hundreds of yards from their vehicles, with the piles of goods they want to buy? I always put the shopping carts aside to let people know it may not be so good to leave the shopping cars in the middle of the hallways. The best is, however, if the shopping carts will never be picked up again. What happened? Did somebody suddenly not feel like the things he chose? I do not know .... annoying, as if we did not have enough to do without having to clean up behind the people. I work in a shop selling flowers, garden supplies, decorative items, and much more that mankind needs or does not need ;)
Maybe I should also push the shopping carts into other gears, not a bad idea at all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My story:
I always have to think about RDA with a smile when I see men in shorts with thick boots and this thick white tennis socks ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's what he wore in Stuttgart on the second day and it looked so funny. Not to mention how hot it was over the weekend. His feet must have cooked in these shoes.
When we did the group photos, I had to stoop to his feet once, because everyone suddenly let go of the shirt, which we had held up to his chest. So I was down there at his feet and really had to master not to laugh when I picked up the shirt. During the shoot I caught myself several times, staring at his feet. Others were staring at him, I stared at his feet. :shock: :?

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a fantastic topic and stories :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I often think of him actually...

What pops in to mind is this, at the moment..
When we stood in the queue last year in Utrecht, he mentioned he had some very nasty dutch cookies.
I think he had dutch macaroons "Bittercookies", they are very bitter, so I gave him a "stroopwaffle" the day after..
Thinking often of that moment when I pass by the cookies in the supermarket :lol:
Lots of love,

Lies

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

JackGywer wrote: I always have to think about RDA with a smile when I see men in shorts with thick boots and this thick white tennis socks ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know fans have been ridiculing his white socks for decades, but it's probably worth noting that his choice of footwear has more to do with health than with a fashion trend (or lack thereof). He has had so many issues with his feet over the years - pain, surgeries, swelling, orthotics, etc., etc. - that he has needed to wear the heavier sports socks for support and to try to alleviate some of the pain.It was one of the things we talked about during dinner a few weeks ago, and as someone who had to wear ugly shoes and socks as a kid, I could identify with him. The long hours of standing, sitting, and flying on a plane probably don't help either. And unfortunately he lives in a climate too hot to camouflage his footwear with longer pants. ;)

Kate
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Annelies wrote: What pops in to mind is this, at the moment..
When we stood in the queue last year in Utrecht, he mentioned he had some very nasty dutch cookies.
I think he had dutch macaroons "Bittercookies", they are very bitter, so I gave him a "stroopwaffle" the day after..
Thinking often of that moment when I pass by the cookies in the supermarket :lol:
The first time I ever heard of stroopwaffle was on a flight to Amsterdam in 2006 when they were served as the snack on the plane. Recently I discovered that Trader Joe's (grocery store chain) carries them, and since that is my local grocery store, now (thanks to Annelies), every time I see them there they will remind me of RDA too. :)

As a side note, my stroopwaffle experience also has a connection to RDA. That flight to Amsterdam was actually to make a connection to Bristol, where I was traveling on Thanksgiving Day to attend RDA's first convention at Avalon in Wells. On the connecting flight, they served turkey sandwiches for lunch, when I arrived at the hotel I had cranberry juice with breakfast, and then a mini mince pie at Starbucks down the street - that was the best I could do in recreating Thanksgiving Dinner with the native elements! :lol: So, an overseas Thanksgiving, RDA, and stroopwaffle, all in the same weekend. :D

Kate
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

KateR wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:42 pm
How often during the day does RDA pop into your head for one reason or another? Maybe something happens that sparks a memory of an encounter, or a scene from one of his roles. I'll begin with an example.

How often....you kidding me... each minute... :lol: :lol: Actually, I have to explain why.... Just because I make screenshots from all videos and movies from Mister Anderson. And making screenshots and to catch the perfect view is very very very long... so I enjoy each minut.. again and again and again... But... I make this because I have a looooot of time. Soon I will have no more so much time for this. But firstable, it is always a pleasure to watch again all that he played and secondly, it is good to improve my english langage.

Anyway...In my normal life...It happens to me very often that someone told me "you are from the MacGyver generation". And I have to say I'm proud of that with all the respect of the show and of Mister Anderson of course.
For example, for few days, I walked with my dog. And i saw a man watching a tree... His kid was on a branch, trying to catch a frisbee. Ok... immediatly, my brain goes into "MacGyver" mode... think, think, think and watch. Those nice people had Ping Pong Rackets. So I put my dog in safe conditions. I took the the leash and the rope from my dog (yeah, I have always a extra rope with me, in case I have to catch another lost dog). I hang the racket to the rope with a special knot. And I throw the racket to bring down the frisbee (not the kid, of course, altought it would be easier).
And like in MacGyver... "Are you sure it will succeed?"..."Nope"... But I tried... And of course the racket fell several times on my head.... But But But... The story is ending well.. of course !!!
* the kid did not fall from the tree
* The frisbee did fall from the tree
* The father and the kid were happy
* My head was okay

And the father told to me "I never thought of doing what you did. Where did you learn all this?" And the friend of mine answered for me "she is a kid from the MacGyver Generation"... :lol: :lol:

But concerning the white socks... Well, it is also a way from me to think of Mister Anderson...
Because of all injuries that he had and that I had too or of the surgeries. Only people who have had operations or who have gone through difficult things can understand. Next time, he and I could make a "scars" competition... :lol: :lol: Well, he is more taller than I... so definitively, his scars would be bigger... (kidding :lol: :lol: )

Mister Anderson had to put white socks in all seasons... I have to wear mountain shoes ... even in summer .. and I do not live in the mountains ...
:lol: :lol:

I'm sure I would find plenty of examples.... But it will be for another day...For example the way of life or the mean of thinking...

Have a nice day all of you, enjoy and take care.
:lol: :) :lol:
Beata

Post by Beata »

Great idea for a conversation Kate.

I guess I am like everyone else, I usually have RDA on my mind, more than I should, but I could think of worse things to think of...

Yesterday I was outside with my dogs sitting in my backyard, which has a lot of trees and bushes, and I chuckled thinking of Rick mentioning his home in Malibu is like a retirement home because it is so beautiful, with the ocean and mountains around him. We had low humidity yesterday which is so rare for Chicago and I so enjoyed sitting out, not quite a retirement home but I can't complain.

My garage is full of walkers and crutches too, from numerous knee surgeries, etc. and I have the zippers (scars) to prove it. I also have a mangled little finger on my left hand which I also write with, and I think of the time Rick cut his little finger because the swiss army knife blade had the cutting edge against his little finger and he darn near cut it off, he said it was dangling. Yuck. From the MacGyver episode Three for the Road. I cringe when I think of all the pain he had endured over the years. I can relate ! Not very funny stories but I have many which also make me laugh, and I will save it for another day.
Beata
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver