Your MacGyver story

Annelies

Your MacGyver story

Post by Annelies »

I was installing my stereo this morning, and it was hard, but swore to myself I would do this on my own, cause my bro and father already were making arrangements to do it together, what could I do with it, woman alone with all those wires :x
Tried everything and didn't had a clue anymore.. I thought:'"Oh come on Mac, what would you do??" Crazy huh?? :oops:
Seconds after I thought that I saw a view little holes I didn't noticed before, plugged one of the boxes in and almost got blown away by the music coming out from it, I cracked!!!! I plugged in the other box and while I was preparing the wires I cracked again...just was missing the MacGyver theme song.. Now I have fantastic music. Can't wait to see those faces!!

Now this isn't a real MacGyver story, just a stupid funny story, but in the old forum we had some really cool MacGyver solutions/stories, so while I was busy I thought, hey why not make it a topic again....
Lots of love,

Lies

KateR
Site Admin

Re: Your MacGyver story

Post by KateR »

Annelies wrote:Now this isn't a real MacGyver story, just a stupid funny story, but in the old forum we had some really cool MacGyver solutions/stories, so while I was busy I thought, hey why not make it a topic again....
I think I told this story on the old thread in the old forum, but I'll repeat it here to christen the new thread. :)

A few years ago, a new roof was put on my condo building, but they must have left an opening. I live on the upper floor, and one night there was a very heavy, windy rainstorm. Suddenly, rain started pouring into my apartment, into the utility closet that holds my furnace and hot water heater. The closet has a small drain in the floor to help prevent a flood in case the water heater leaks, but the rainwater was pouring in all over the gas furnace and water heater and could have put out the flames before it reached the drain. It was late at night on a holiday (of course) - I think it was nearly midnight on New Year's Eve - so there was no way to get help. I had to think of something.

I took several plastic garbage bags, cut off the bottoms, and duct-taped them together to form a long plastic "tube." I needed to hold the one end open, so I took a wire coat hanger and bent it out to make a circle, and I taped the opening of the tube to the hanger. Then I taped the hanger to the water heater so that it would hold the opening wide enough to capture all the flowing water. Then I gently guided the plastic tube around the water heater to the front, to the drain, so that all the collected rain water would flow harmlessly down the tube and into the drain.

It wasn't pretty, but it worked, and I was able to prevent a flood until the roofers could come back after the holiday and repair the leak in the roof.

When the roofer finally came, I explained how I had to MacGyver the solution in an emergency, and he said, "MacGyver - I loved that show!" :)

Kate
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Kate, THANKS for christening the topic with this Fantastic story remembered it from the old forum :lol:
Lots of love,

Lies

Kti

Post by Kti »

Interesting Topic!
My stories are not as spectacular! Sometimes I do things that smell of MacGyver. Become aware much later.

Last month, my son fell on his scooter :? , because the screw had come loose from the front wheel an the wheel has jumped out of the fork. It was only to find the banjo bolt, not the nur. And it was saturday evening, DIY Shops in Berlin closed. I found a comprehensive nut between my tool. But it was too long. With the hacksaw I would have done great damage to the threads and washers I had none.
For monday morning hat the scooter but again be ready...
Here is a photo of my solution:

The wheel is still rock solid. And my son is also nothing worse happens with his scooter stunt! :D
nicolemj@otenet.gr

Post by nicolemj@otenet.gr »

Great story Kate. Thank you for sharing.
mac_jack_fangirl

Post by mac_jack_fangirl »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is awesome and it's funny because something happened to me just now. I was watering some plants on a window sill and put too much and water came out of the bottom and went down the wall into an electrical socket. All I could think about was when Mac did that to blow up the fuse box downstairs :o
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

@ Kti, what a fantastic solution!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: mac_jack_fangirl!!! Hope nothing blew up at your place????
Lots of love,

Lies

macgyverfan2015

Post by macgyverfan2015 »

Last Year I had to do something to keep the stuff coming from the Dryer I had the Dryer vent hose and I had to make it shorter but after I did that I used a coat hanger to hold the hose on my dryer it was choking me everytime I would go downstairs but to this day it is fixed I felt better knowing I did a Macgyver trick Macgyverfan
I think I told this story on the old thread in the old forum, but I'll repeat it here to christen the new thread. :)

A few years ago, a new roof was put on my condo building, but they must have left an opening. I live on the upper floor, and one night there was a very heavy, windy rainstorm. Suddenly, rain started pouring into my apartment, into the utility closet that holds my furnace and hot water heater. The closet has a small drain in the floor to help prevent a flood in case the water heater leaks, but the rainwater was pouring in all over the gas furnace and water heater and could have put out the flames before it reached the drain. It was late at night on a holiday (of course) - I think it was nearly midnight on New Year's Eve - so there was no way to get help. I had to think of something.

I took several plastic garbage bags, cut off the bottoms, and duct-taped them together to form a long plastic "tube." I needed to hold the one end open, so I took a wire coat hanger and bent it out to make a circle, and I taped the opening of the tube to the hanger. Then I taped the hanger to the water heater so that it would hold the opening wide enough to capture all the flowing water. Then I gently guided the plastic tube around the water heater to the front, to the drain, so that all the collected rain water would flow harmlessly down the tube and into the drain.

It wasn't pretty, but it worked, and I was able to prevent a flood until the roofers could come back after the holiday and repair the leak in the roof.

When the roofer finally came, I explained how I had to MacGyver the solution in an emergency, and he said, "MacGyver - I loved that show!" :)

Kate
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

macgyverfan2015 wrote:Last Year I had to do something to keep the stuff coming from the Dryer I had the Dryer vent hose and I had to make it shorter but after I did that I used a coat hanger to hold the hose on my dryer it was choking me everytime I would go downstairs but to this day it is fixed I felt better knowing I did a Macgyver trick Macgyverfan
Welcome, macgyverfan2015. Thanks for your MacGyver story....sounds good. See you around the forum!
B
macgyverfan2015

Post by macgyverfan2015 »

bftlovesRDA wrote:
macgyverfan2015 wrote:Last Year I had to do something to keep the stuff coming from the Dryer I had the Dryer vent hose and I had to make it shorter but after I did that I used a coat hanger to hold the hose on my dryer it was choking me everytime I would go downstairs but to this day it is fixed I felt better knowing I did a Macgyver trick Macgyverfan
Welcome, macgyverfan2015. Thanks for your MacGyver story....sounds good. See you around the forum!
Here is another Macgyver trick that I did with My Nu Wave Pizza Flipper well one day I had to find out if I could another pizza flipper from nu Wave well they told me it wasn't covered so I would have to buy a new one I couldn't do that so I went and took mickey mouse duct tape and fixed the handle where it was broke at. I really am glad I was able to fix this to save me money and it is holding up to this day.
I also had to do something last year also about my hitch on my van which I am not able to get off I kept hurting my knee because it wasn't covered or something I took an old ball that was bright orange and duct taped this on my hitch it is still working I think it might be time to be macgyver and put more duct tape on it weather has taken toll on this but it works....

I have to say I am a big fan and if there is one wish my son wants to meet RDA and I would like to too I have the whole set of the dvd of the show we watched them alot I know what we will be doing next summer hope Rick reads theses thanks Macgyverfan2015