Website Redesign

Juliette

Re: Website Redesign

Post by Juliette »

Yes the video section is faster this way! Great idea to open the videos in a new tab, so that only the videos we want to watch can load, and not all of them at the same time.
My internet connection is so slow that it took forever before loading all the squares with titles and images, and then it wouldn't play the video I clicked on... so now I just have to be patient to wait for one video to load, which is (I can't way fast with my crappy connection) but still quicker than before :)

Thanks Kate for all the amazing work you're doing!!
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Sam : There's a problem with the Video Gallery , sir .
Jack : What ?
Teal'c : Indeed .
Sam : No, wait a minute … Kate found a solution , sir !
Jack : Kate ? She beat you on that one , Carter !

Thank you , Kate ! You're smarter than Sam ! ;) :)
Beata

Post by Beata »

:lol: tvero80 Video's working on Chrome.
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

UhSir wrote: If you are still considering YouTube, a copyright notice is not necessarily a bad thing and the copyright holder might place advertisements on the video. If the warning has a yellow triangle is also not bad thing but it will be muted or blocked, sometimes worldwide, sometimes only certain countries. If the video gets a red triangle it is bad. The video will have been taken down and your account will get a strike. Three strikes and your channel will be shut down. No warning, just gone.
Thank you for the YouTube info. I'm still finding my way around that site, and I'm not sure I want to risk running up against copyright issues when I have so many videos to juggle. But I'm watching my bandwidth statistics and keeping YouTube on the back burner as a possible alternative.
UhSir wrote: Have you been to W3Schools and looked through their tutorials?
https://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
I used that a lot while designing my website.
Yes, actually, between W3Schools and Lynda.com I've been able to learn a LOT of what I need to complete this redesign. W3Schools is a very handy reference, but you have to be pretty creative in searching to find JUST the right answer to the problem you are trying to solve.
UhSir wrote: Video Gallery
Maybe reorganize the selection options? Firstly, don't make "All Videos" be the default. Just bring up the selection boxes.
That's a good suggestion, but the way the page was designed before, it would call up all the files anyway, even if they were hidden. But the new code only calls up the thumbnails, so it should be loading WAY faster than before.
UhSir wrote: Help Funding the Site
I shop Amazon frequently. I'll start going there through this site. So I just click on any of the, say Stargate, links and then go on about searching and buying? Also, do you get anything at all for the clicking or is it only if I buy? I do price comparisons and sometimes find a better price elsewhere.
Yes, as long as you click ANY of the links on the "Store" page to enter Amazon initially, then ANYTHING you buy while searching or surfing will count whether RDA-related or not. Unfortunately, browsing clicks don't count, only buying. The income from Amazon is pretty minimal, but I appreciate that people do use it.
UhSir wrote:I've been to lots of sites that have Donate buttons. I'm cool with that and hopefully you would be getting most of the donations. The web isn't like it was 20 years ago. It's big business today. Please don't think of donations as "taking money." You aren't requiring it. I, and I'll betcha lots of visitors, will happily "bother" to help you out!
Thank you. :) I guess I'm still old fashioned about that, but I do realize that the internet is considered a source of income nowadays. I've just never been one of those people who wanted to use RDA to make money for myself - there are enough of those out there already.
Jerseycoconut wrote:I've tried the link several times, sorry not loading yet. Each day it changes.
From "not able to decode, loads all in one square, then loads, but still doesn't play.
That's on E, Chrome -4G wireless PC. Could it be the security we use?
I'm not sure which link you're trying? I took down the sample link I used for a test. Now the videos are back on the regular Video Gallery page. The page is connecting to different links, though, so you may need to refresh the page to make sure you're getting the new version.

I'm gradually re-uploading the videos and keeping an eye on bandwidth. So far 100 of the videos are back on the page, so I'm about half done. It seems that lots of people are going straight for the full Legend episodes - yikes! :o But so far the bandwidth is still within reasonable limits, so good news! :)

Kate
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

Hi everyone,
Just to share my experience about videos, because I was one with many problems. I use mozilla on a laptop (an HP), but I don't think it changes something. I read this morning the comments and I tried again.

The first video "Birthday Party" was available after 6 seconds
Dinah ! after 15 seconds
7B7B Round up 26 seconds
People are talking : immediatly
Pandora's clock part 1 : 11 seconds
Spacey awards : 2 seconds

Could be that the upload time is connected with the time of the video ? I don't know, i'm not enough aware about all those things.
So just to tell, (for me at least) it works, be patient.
Again thanks a lot for you amazing work Kate.

Have a beautiful day
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

karinedauphin wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:20 am Could be that the upload time is connected with the time of the video ?
It could be, but it is probably more connected to the speed of your ISP. For me, the little "spinning circle" that shows the video is loading only appears for one or two seconds and then the video is ready to play, no matter how long it is.

The problem I am having now is that on my phone (Android) I can't seem to get it to refresh. No matter how many times I swipe down to reload or click the reload button, the new PAGE will appear, but it won't load the new CSS style sheet, so the formatting is very odd. The little "Close Video" button appears to the left instead of the right, and the video itself is wider than the page and sticks out over the edge of the page.

This has happened before, with the Archives for example. In fact each time I add an update, the little "update" thumbnail on the main page won't change to the new picture on my phone. I just have to wait, and then after a few days, it will suddenly correct itself without warning. It's annoying because I can't really test to make sure it is appearing properly on my phone.

If anyone else is getting these weird formatting results, and can't seem to refresh, give it a few days and see if it corrects itself. :roll:

Kate
tvero80

Re: Website Redesign : poll ?

Post by tvero80 »

I've just seen that there's a poll about the best stunt in MacGyver ( MacGyverGod started the thread ). We couldn't vote before … is it possible now ? It would be great news concerning the website redesign ... AT LAST ! :)
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

tvero80 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:41 pm I've just seen that there's a poll about the best stunt in MacGyver ( MacGyverGod started the thread ). We couldn't vote before … is it possible now ? It would be great news concerning the website redesign ... AT LAST ! :)
I haven't changed any settings.

It's possible, if polls were not working before and are working now, that while the ISP was trying to correct whatever caused the Forum to shut down a few days ago, they managed to kickstart whatever was needed for polls.

Have you tried voting? Is it working?

(BTW, I still can't get the videos to load properly on my phone. Is that a problem for others? If the "Close Video" button is showing up on the left instead of the right, then the page is not loading the CSS script, but it loads properly on a computer and I don't know how to force a refresh. :roll: )

Kate
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

KateR wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 pm

(BTW, I still can't get the videos to load properly on my phone. Is that a problem for others? If the "Close Video" button is showing up on the left instead of the right, then the page is not loading the CSS script, but it loads properly on a computer and I don't know how to force a refresh. :roll: )

Kate
Good evening Kate ( and the others)
As requested, i tried to watch the videos on my phone. I have to confess... i never tried it before now... i have a computer and a touch pad, that is enough to enjoy from the website. Anyway, i tried. I have a samsung one. And i tried several videos with several times, short and long ones. I tried fast forward, etc... close videos. And for me it is working

Thanks a lot, Kate

Have a nice day or evening
Best regards
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

KateR wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 pm
tvero80 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:41 pm I've just seen that there's a poll about the best stunt in MacGyver ( MacGyverGod started the thread ). We couldn't vote before … is it possible now ? It would be great news concerning the website redesign ... AT LAST ! :)
I haven't changed any settings.

It's possible, if polls were not working before and are working now, that while the ISP was trying to correct whatever caused the Forum to shut down a few days ago, they managed to kickstart whatever was needed for polls.

Have you tried voting? Is it working?

Kate
videos are working fine on my mobile phone and with the poll, yes the voting works as well...
thanks Kate and I hope it works with your phone soon. I have a android, don't know if it makes a difference
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA