Game - the Geography Game

bftlovesRDA

Re: Game - the Geography Game

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks, Karine, for your kind words about Raleigh. Yes it has many trees. In fact it is called "The City of Oaks" because of all of its Oak Trees.

Heppenheim sounds like a wonderful place too.

Ok, M....here is one that is definitely not a quiet peaceful place.....there is a lot of information about this place in Wikipedia: (but it is NOT a place I want to spend a lot of time in)....

MANHATTAN is a borough of New York City....the most densely populated of the City's five boroughs...

Manhattan has been described as the cultural, financial, media, and entertainment capital of the world, and the borough hosts the United Nations Headquarters. Anchored by Wall Street in the Financial District of Lower Manhattan, New York City has been called both the most economically powerful city and the leading financial center of the world, and Manhattan is home to the world's two largest stock exchanges by total market capitalization: the New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ.

Manhattan is historically documented to have been purchased by Dutch colonists from Native Americans in 1626 for 60 guilders, which equals roughly US $1038 in current terms. Manhattan traces its origins to a trading post founded by colonists from the Dutch Republic in 1624 on Lower Manhattan; the post was named New Amsterdam in 1626. The territory and its surroundings came under English control in 1664 and were renamed New York after King Charles II of England granted the lands to his brother, the Duke of York.[26] New York, based in present-day Manhattan, served as the capital of the United States from 1785 until 1790. The Statue of Liberty greeted millions of immigrants as they came to the Americas by ship in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and is a world symbol of the United States and its ideals of liberty and peace. Manhattan became a borough during the consolidation of New York City in 1898.
B
Irina

Post by Irina »

Neuss

Is a city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is located on the west bank of the Rhine opposing Düsseldorf. Neuss is the largest city within the Rhein-Kreis Neuss district. It is primarily known for its historic Roman sites, as well as the annual Neusser Bürger-Schützenfest. Neuss and Trier share the title of "Germany's oldest city"; and in 1984 Neuss celebrated the 2000 year anniversary of its founding in 16 BCE.

(In my childhood I lived in this city for a while. I love him very much)

B,I like your town :)
"It's very difficult to say "goodbye" to someone who means so much... "
("To be a Man")
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks, Irina....glad you like my town, Raleigh.

I like what you have written about Neuss also,..,especially its history! Wow = it goes back to a very long time ago!

Ok, an "s" place...

SAN ANTONIO second largest city in Texas

San Antonio (/ˌsæn ænˈtoʊnioʊ/; from Spanish, "Saint Anthony"), officially the City of San Antonio, is the seventh-most populous city in the United States, and the second-most populous city in both Texas and the Southern United States, with more than 1.5 million residents. Founded as a Spanish mission and colonial outpost in 1718, the city became the first chartered civil settlement in present-day Texas in 1731. The area was still part of the Spanish Empire, and later of the Mexican Republic. Today it is the state's oldest municipality.

Here is a snippet about San Antonio's most famous historical event - the Alamo: ..., the joint command of William Barrett Travis and James Bowie were left in charge of defending the old mission. The Battle of the Alamo took place from February 23 to March 6, 1836. The outnumbered Texian force was ultimately defeated, with all of the Alamo defenders killed. These men were seen as "martyrs" for the cause of Texas freedom and "Remember the Alamo" became a rallying cry in the Texian Army's eventual success at defeating Santa Anna's army.
B
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

Morning

Incredible, Irina, your story is amazing and you probably speak german, don't you ?
And B, you found again an interesting town..."San Antonio"...it is also mystery novels for french people, written by Frederic Dard.

O...O...O...

OXFORD

in this "Brexit" Time.. :lol: :lol:
Oxford is a university city in south central England and the county town of Oxfordshire. With a population of approximately 155,000, it is the 52nd largest city in the United Kingdom. The city is known worldwide as the home of the University of Oxford, the oldest university in the English-speaking world.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Interesting info about Oxford, thanks, Karine.

OK, D......am sure this has been used before....

DENVER the Capital and most populous city in Colorado, USA.

... it is nicknamed the Mile High City because its official elevation is exactly one mile (5280 feet or 1609.3 meters) above sea level. In 2016, Denver was named the best place to live in the United States by U.S. News & World Report.
B
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

Hello...Well no geography Game since few days... sorry about that....

So with a R....

ROTTERDAM
s the second-largest city and a municipality of the Netherlands. It is located in the province of South Holland, at the mouth of the Nieuwe Maas channel leading into the Rhine–Meuse–Scheldt delta at the North Sea. Its history goes back to 1270, when a dam was constructed in the Rotte, after which people settled around it for safety. It has a population of 633,471 (2017).
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

Madrid
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thank you, Karine and Jack(s)!

Good cities to see - thanks.

DURHAM fourth largest city in US state of North Carolina (and 30 minutes away from my home).

It is the home of Duke University.
B
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

Mainz (City in Germany)
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Ok, a Z name....tough one..thank goodness for the Internet....

Zurich the largest city in Switzerland
B