Game - the Geography Game

Beata

Re: Game - the Geography Game

Post by Beata »

Two Egg, Florida

Here's more breakfast food. LOL
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

MMM MMM good - Ham and Two Egg.

(Beata, I am going to use the last letter of HAM to be the first letter of the next place name. Your entry is good but supposedly we do the last letter/first letter way of doing it to keep the ball rolling. No problem here but just wanted you to know)......

So, HAM ends with M, so I start the next place with M.

No food this time:

MARTINSVILLE a nice city in Virginia where my father was born
B
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

No food but first name.... indeed, Martin is a first name and "ville" means town in french... so perhaps some Martin had to live there... so it becomes Martinsville... :lol: :lol: Nice thought for your dad

So with an E.... i found a town which could be a first name.... what the challenge... :lol: :lol:

EREVAN
Is the capital of Armenia (sometimes written yerevan)
And Erevan is also the celtic form of Yves. Erevan means "dragon"...

So ... you turn with a N and something to travel..... far far far away... :D :lol: :lol:
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Okey dokey.......a place that is far far away.....

Narayanganj

A city in Bangladesh....population 2.2 million people....The city got its name from Bicon Lal Pandey, a Hindu religious leader who was also known as Benur Thakur or 'Lakhsmi Narayan Thakur'. He leased the area from the British East India Company in 1766 following the Battle of Plassey. He donated the markets and the land on the banks of the river as Devottor or 'Given to God' property, bequeathed for maintenance expenses for the worship of the god Narayan.
B
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

;) ;)
Morning, every one.

May I introduce you a particularity of France, no England...well... no France.... well...both....

JERSEY

It is a smal island near from the french normand coasts. Jersey is not part of the United Kingdom,
and has an international identity separate from that of the UK,but the UK is constitutionally responsible for the defence of Jersey
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Good morning to you, Karine, and to everyone....

Wow - when you wrote "Jersey" I thought of our state in the US called New Jersey....so I looked New Jersey up and sure enough here is what wikipedia says about the name: "New Jersey: New Jersey was inhabited by Native Americans for more than 2,800 years, with historical tribes such as the Lenape along the coast. In the early 17th century, the Dutch and the Swedes founded the first European settlements in the state. The English later seized control of the region, naming it the Province of New Jersey after the largest of the Channel Islands, Jersey," ..... (so it was named for the UK Island you described???) Anyway, thought that was interesting.....

Okay, a "Y" name:

YAKIMA a city in the US state of Washington.

It is situated in the Yakima Valley, a productive agricultural region noted for apple, wine and hop production. As of 2011, the Yakima Valley produces 77% of all hops grown in the United States. The name Yakima originates from the Yakama Nation Native American tribe, whose reservation is located south of the city.
B
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

Exactly, B, Jersey like Guernsey is a little island in the Channel Islands (from Wiki : "archipelago in the English Channel, off the French coast of Normandy. They include two Crown dependencies: the Bailiwick of Jersey, which is the largest of the islands; and the Bailiwick of Guernsey, consisting of Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and some smaller islands")...
So again an "american" name with an european past... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you are so sweety to give us an A...

from a french-english island... to a french-corsica island...with

AJACCIO

is the largest settlement on the island. Ajaccio is located on the west coast of the island of Corsica, 210 nautical miles (390 km) southeast of Marseille. After the Corsican Republic was declared in 1755 the Genoese continued to hold several citadels, including Ajaccio, until the French took control of the island.
Among the twin towns from Ajaccio there is Dana Point, California, United States, since 1990
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Interesting info, Karine! Thank you for all the new information,....I am learning so much!

Ok, here is another place name that is very hard to pronounce:

Oconomowoc A city in the US State of Wisconsin: Here is a little bit of its history:

Before 1700, this region was inhabited by Potawatomi peoples descended from Woodland Indians known as "mound builders".[6] There are also reports that the Sauk Indian chief Black Hawk had a campsite on Oconomowoc Lake.

The first white person recorded in the area was Amable (sometimes spelled "Aumable") Vicau, brother-in-law of Solomon Juneau, one of the founders of Milwaukee. Vicau established a trading post in 1827. White settlers soon followed, beginning in 1830.
B
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

oh oh oh... what is this name with so many ooooooo :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you launched a C... that I catch to propose you ...

CHAMONIX

Chamonix is a commune in the Haute-Savoie département in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region in south-eastern France. It was the site of the first Winter Olympics in 1924. Situated to the north of Mont Blanc, Chamonix is one of the oldest ski resorts in France. The Chamonix commune is popular with skiers and mountain enthusiasts, and via the cable car lift to the Aiguille du Midi it is possible to access the off-piste (backcountry) ski run of the Vallée Blanche.

I looked about the twin town... And it is ASPEN, that if I well know is also a ski station in USA, isn't it ?
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Yes, Aspen is one of the most famous ski resorts in the US. /So they are sister cities? How nice!

X - let's see......

XALAPA a city in Mexico - whose name is often spelled "Jalapa".

The complete name of the city is Xalapa-Enriquez, bestowed in honor of governor from the 19th century, Juan de la Luz Enríquez. The city's nickname, City of Flowers (Spanish: La ciudad de las flores), was given by Alexander von Humboldt, who visited the city February 10, 1804. The reference is also related to the city's older colonial history. According to folklore, the Spanish believed that Jalapa was the birthplace and home of the world's most beautiful woman, la Florecita, which literally means "little flower".The residents of Xalapa are called Xalapeños or Jalapeños, which is the name given to the large popular peppers cultivated in this area.
B