Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Juliette

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by Juliette »

Comtrya!!

Tin Man is one of the episodes which hold a dear place in my heart. I really like it a lot.
It's not really about worlds explorations or cultural discoveries... well cultural it kind of is because we learn about a people that was about to disappear and used technology and artificial intelligence to survive. And we also learn that it didn't work that great since there is only one of them left. It makes the viewer think about humanity and its relations with technology (and in my opinion: where is the line that should not be crossed)

But my fangirl side tells me that a technology that can give us two O'Neills (or even as many as we want ;) ) is a good thing to consider :P
I'll give this scene the award of "Best Dialogue of the Show"! I mean come on, what's better than seeing Jack's personality interacting with itself :lol:

About Teal'c, I think both his consciousness and his symbiote's merged into one in the robotic body, which created conflict and caused it to malfunction.

You all mentionned many good aspects of the episode, like the real great acting from all, so I won't drag on, I'll just give one more award:
"Cutest Almost-Smile"!! :lol: ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

THanks, Juliette, for the great comments and the wonderful screenshots.

I agree with you = anything that gives us two Jack's can't be bad.....and I also agree with you about the cutest "almost smile"....LOVE THAT PHOTO!

Here are some more screenshots from TINMAN:

B
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Juliette,
Great comments! You are right, technology and humans shouldn't mix! :twisted: Hope we learn.

Great pics, and from B also! :P :D

Jerseycoconut
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Good Morning Everyone!
Does anyone remember the name of the episode when the 'robots' make a reappearance?
Can't think of it. :(
Jerseycoconut
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Jerseycoconut wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:46 pm Good Morning Everyone!
Does anyone remember the name of the episode when the 'robots' make a reappearance?
Jerseycoconut
Double Jeopardy

"Are we still so far from real to you?" <sniff>

Kate
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

KateR wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:10 pm
Jerseycoconut wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:46 pm Good Morning Everyone!
Jerseycoconut
Double Jeopardy

"Are we still so far from real to you?" <sniff>

Kate
Thanks Kate,
I had a 'brain fart'!
Jerseycoconut :D :lol:
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Happy Labor Day to All Who Toil!

There But For The Grace of God

Another day, another dialed planet, but this time, another reality.
Within a short time of arriving at PTR233, Teal'c discovers a warning symbol left by the Gou'ald. "Turn back, leave this contaminated planet." Col. O'Neill gives the word to leave. But, Daniel lingers to take artifacts tagged for study, not heeding the warning. He sees a mirror that doesn't reflect his image; touches it and passes (unknowingly) into another dimension. :shock: He cannot find the rest of the SG1 team and dials the Gate back to Earth. On the other side no one knows him. :? :oops:
The roles of the SGC are all different. Gen. Hammond is colonel; Dr. Catherine Langford, retired, is active at the SGC; Col. O'Neill is general and engaged to Sam; Sam who is not in the military, is an astrophysicist. Daniel researches himself and finds he's not in SG1, is a linguist in Egypt (finds out later Egypt has been destroyed and more than likely, he is dead). Teal'c is not known to the SGC team, as is a lot of information about Apothis, the Jaffa and other planets.
Earth is under attack from the Gou'ald. One and one half billion people have been killed, important people are being evacuated to the Beta site for safety. :o Viewing the world map, major cities have fallen, Airforce One is heard being shot down and on radar the Gou'ald have Cheynne Mountain as next target.
Daniel does not understand what is going on... :? :shock: Catherine and Sam develop a theory about the mirror transporting Daniel to an alternate dimension.
Against Daniel's advise, Gen. O'Neill sends a bomb thru the Gate to Chulack to kill the Jaffa, thinking it will hinder the attack on Earth. Non-essential workers from the SGC are being evacuated as the Gou'ald ship lands on the mountain. Gen. O'Neill needs to buy some time to delay the attack at the Gate. Daniel convinces him to try to negotiate with Teal'c. Since he knows in his world, Teal'c wants his people free of the enslavement of the Gou'ald, betraying Apothis may be possible.
Teal'c arrives in a snake suit (and pony tail), first prime of Apothis, and Gen. O'Neill ties to talk with him, using everything Daniel has said, but, talks fail. "You killed my people and family with a weapon of mass destruction". :oops: :cry:
Col. Hammond sets auto destruct for the mountain. Teal'c kills O'Neill :o , next Col. Hammond gets killed :o , then Carter :shock: , and Catherine :shock: .
Daniel gets shot by Teal'c as he goes thru the Gate to PTR233. The auto destruct goes off. Daniel arrives back at PTR233 in his world.
Sg1 finds Daniel injured from Teal's staff weapon, and he utters, "They're coming..."
To be continued. . . .

I liked the premise of the episode, having alternate realities. Intriguing to go beyond what we can see in this reality, maybe to see other choices we would have made, or maybe should not have made.

This week Daniel gets the MVP for great acting and carrying the major plot of the story. :D
The director of photography gets a real loud shout out for a wonderful job of shooting Gen. O'Neil's death, without showing him actually being shot! :D

One note of interest as you view the show, Gen. O'Neil has cut over left eyebrow that has no continuity from scene to scene. :lol: Yes, he's still soo cute. :P

Jerseycoconut
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Thank you jerseycoconut for this wonderful summary!
You are right about Jack's scar, you should put it in the oops thread ;)

This episode is one of my all time favorites, simply because I love alternate realities.
The theory of alternate realities is fascinating to me, and it makes us think about the impact our decisions (even the slightest ones) can have on our whole life, and on other people's lives, completely changing the universe's course.

Sometimes it's something we would like to see before making an important decision: what will happen if I do this, what will happen if I do that... Or even whlie looking back into the past, with this famous question: what if..?

Alternate realities are a subject really closely tied to time travel, which I ablosutely love too :)

So seeing another universe where our heros are so similar but at the same time so different from what we know of them is captivating.
Some things happen earlier in a universe and later in another one, but still do (Jack being General, engaged Jack and Sam (let's be honest, it will certainly happen in our universe, but later, much later :D), the goa'uld attacking earth, some planets are alreay explored by the SGC, etc.)
and some things never happen (Hammond never became General in this parallel universe).

The beauty of the episode is that this universe's people are willing to sacrifice themselves to save their other selves in an alternate universe, allowing Daniel to escape with the address that indicates from where the goa'ulds are coming to attack earth, therefore anticipating it in our universe and saving our version of earth.
But seeing all our alternate heroes die is still extremely sad :(

So this episode is definitely a game changer, as it will give a head start to the SGC in the battle against the goa'uld :)
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Juliette,
Would you like to just view the other realities/time travel? or participate too? Only ask because this weeks episode is 'Politics'; which government gets 'involved'. To me, that's a game changer!

By the way, Bettie gives a shout out to all! Let's keep sending up love & light to her!

Jerseycoconut
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Politics

This episode is continued from last week, to be continued next week, the end of season one, and possibly the end of the Star Gate . . . :o :shock:

Senator Kinsey, representing Washington's politicals who spend money, has called for a hearing to know what 7 1/2 billion dollars a year is secretly being spent on. He says keeping secrets from citizens is dangerous.
[This is the only point that I will agree with Kinsey. The program should have all things reported & available to the taxpayers. Example: Perhaps if the US citizens knew and had the choice to vote on the billions secretly given to Bin Ladin in 1980's, things may have been different in 2001. Yes, I have distaste for the corruption that is pervasive throughout politics.....] :x

Back to the episode,, :) ;)
The senator believes the Gate is 'a drain thru which the money flows.' He recants the reports of the past missions of SG1 that has brought danger to Earth with contagious disease , infections, and the Gou'ald being some other universe's threats, and not a US problem. :(
Kinsey of course, speaks from behind a desk, reads paperwork, and has not had any active service. He makes his assumptions from the point of vanity and fear, and has stopped any further funding for the SGC program. :evil:

Col. O'Neill and the team, rebuttals the facts that the Gate has opened up understanding to the universe, introduced other cultures, added knowledge of history, science, technology, made allies, also prepare Earth for enemies as the Gou'ald, who have destroyed entire civilizations and enslaved the populations. This has no sway with Kinsey's beliefs. " You have only brought danger to Earth and nothing of any worth back." :?

As a last resort, because he has not yet convinced his own teammates, :oops: Daniel brings up his experience of being in an alternate dimension (in the last episode) and that an attack is coming to Earth, the warning, "beware of the destroyers".
Kinsey is infuriated only further . .. and blurps more angry words. . . . :shock: :x :shock:

Carter implores; they all plead, almost to the point of begging, "We can go and gather technology & weapons. . ." Kinsey responds, Your reckless children playing with fire . ." [He knows something, but is just not saying. What are his true intensions?] :roll: :x
General Hammond chimes in, "My people are the best out there". Kinsey - "Your best is not good enough. :o :shock: :x I do not approve or support this endeavor" and shuts it down.

Teal'c requests of Gen. Hammond to return to Chulack. :cry:
O'Neill wants to go off world also. :cry:

It is very solemn as the episode ends. . . . to be continued . . . .

Sad. . . :cry: fighting fear and stupidity, very exasperating. . . :cry: :cry:
Col. O'Neill looks good in uniform, fighting, giving his all . . :D ;) ;)
They all did great job, especially at the end when everyone is left hopeless. :cry:
Can't wait for the next episode :D :D

Jerseycoconut