Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Juliette

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by Juliette »

Solitudes is mostly a Jack/Sam episode (the first!), therefore it's one of my favorites :D

I agree with everything you said, especially the wonderful acting from Rick and Amanda! It really looks like their pain is real (and the cold on set was real too!)

This episode's adventure makes the SGC discover more about the Stargates, what kind of dysfunctions can happen and what are the concequences. Learning more about the device is always beneficial, and can sometimes be useful in the future...

Another great discovery is the Antartica stargate, which will play an important part in the future of the show, a fundamental discovery!

My favorites lines are (as most of the time) the humorous lines, like:
"Jack: I think I cracked a rib, too.
Sam: Why didn't you say something?
Jack: I was afraid you'd try to put a splint on it..."

"Colonel?
- It's my sidearm, I swear..." because this whole scene is simply so great ;)

And I think my true favorite comes from Daniel:
"Daniel to Teal'c: What happens when you dial your own phone number?
Daniel to himeslf: Wrong person to ask...
Daniel to Hammond: What happens when you dial your own phone number?"
His face and reaction when he realizes his question will mean nothing to Teal'c is so funny :lol:

Something I find curious is when Jack talks about his "unoffical" mission in 1980-something in Irak and his parachute incident where no one came to rescue him and he had to get out of there on his own, I can't help but think about MacGyver's "To Be A Man"... :roll: I know it was Afganistan and not Irak, and he didn't hurt the same part of his body, but still.. ;)
And a funny line to finish, when Sam asks how he hurt his skull, Jack answers "I hit the ground. Go figure..." :lol:

But it's also a sad episode as you both said, there were times in the episode when we could have lost them both! Thankfully rescue came just before it was too late! :o

Definitely a fan favorite episode!
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thank you, Juliette, for your wonderful comments on "Solitudes". Guess we all agree this is definitely a favorite episode.

And you're right = it is much about Sam and Jack, so just for that reason, I love it.

Thanks also for that photo of the moment when Jack and Sam are lying there together to keep warm, and that's approximately when that funny line occurs = where Sam says, "Uh, Colonel..." and Jack says,"It's my sidearm I swear." :oops: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Great episode! Great comments!
B
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

Hi. I am sorry for so long not writing anything in this topic. I really don't have much time at the moment, but I at least found time to read your comments about the episodes and I loved them all.
And thank you for posting all those great screenshots, that makes me wanting to rewatch those episodes again, and even if I mostly don't have time for that so at least makes me reminding them because of the pictures.

But this week it's Solitudes…one of my all time favourites. How can I NOT write about this one?

So.....

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that episode. :oops: :oops: :oops:

The episode gives us a little information about Jack's past in his military career. We learn that he was injured many times, even had a skull fracture. Altough he is badly injured he doesn't lose his humor and sarcasm and he tries his best to get through the situation. He tries to hold Sam's spirit up when he realizes that she is about to despair. Stubbornly he refuses to give up until he has no more strength left.
We learn that obviously he still loves his ex-wife Sarah, as he calls out to her when he is near death.

Of course I love the scene when Jack and Sam are cuddled together to keep each other warm and Sam is saying: "Uh.....Colonel..".and he answers: "It's my sidearm, I swear. No giggling, please."

Also a typical Jack line is: "I'll regret dying."

I love the way Daniel and Teal'c as well as all the other members of the SGC try everything possible to find Jack and Sam.

I have read many times that the solution, that they are on earth and it had to be a second stargate, was obviously, but not for me. I was very surprised about that when I saw the episode for the first time.

What also surprised me, was the fact, that Sam needed so long to think of a reset when the gate was stuck in position. My first thought is "reset" when my pc stucks and won't do anything anymore. But- to be fair- I am not injured or nearly frozen to death when such things happen. ;)

I also agree with you, that it is very emotional when Jack tells Sam that he is dying and sends her away to take her chances on the plantet's surface, so that she maybe will survive. Also, that she talks as Sarah to him, when she returns to him after she has seen, that she is in an ice desert and that there isn't a chance of finding help in time. She gives him the last comfort she is able to and wants him to die in peace.
She also thinks that she will die, so she says her goodbye, too. :cry:

And then....the rescue, because Daniel has had the idea with the second stargate on one planet and finding it because of the vibrations.The second Stargate will become important through the story arc and also the "jump" of the matter stream from one gate to another will be important later. So we and the SCG learn some new important facts about Stargate-travel.

It was outstanding acting from Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping. No props, just the refrigerated stage with the ice and acting. I love each minute of it!

And of course, I love Amanda Tappings's famous MacGyver joke.I am sure, that all of you know it by heart, but here it is again, just to enjoy it, it's hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spyhk4_USyA

So, just wanted to write a few lines, and now it was more than I thought....never mind :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Welcome back Anja! We missed you!
I hope life will let you some more time to come here ;)

Thank you for your very good comment, I agree with everything you say :)
NiLa wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:38 pm What also surprised me, was the fact, that Sam needed so long to think of a reset when the gate was stuck in position. My first thought is "reset" when my pc stucks and won't do anything anymore. But- to be fair- I am not injured or nearly frozen to death when such things happen. ;)
What kind of surpised me is the fact that Sam doesn't try to dial another address when she sees the Earth one doesn't work. That's what I think I would do. Well.. I think like that when I'm comforably in front of my screen, maybe if I were in her position I wouldn't :D
NiLa wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:38 pm And of course, I love Amanda Tappings's famous MacGyver joke.I am sure, that all of you know it by heart, but here it is again, just to enjoy it, it's hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for posting it here! I already watched it a lot but it never fails to make me laugh :lol:
Too bad it's dark and we don't really see Rick's face, but I perfectly imagine it :lol:

Anja, if you want to comment on previous episodes, please do. Episode of the week is here to start a new discuss but you can always talk about the others ;)
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Juliette wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:29 am Welcome back Anja! We missed you!
I hope life will let you some more time to come here ;)

Thank you for your very good comment, I agree with everything you say :)
What kind of surpised me is the fact that Sam doesn't try to dial another address when she sees the Earth one doesn't work. That's what I think I would do. Well.. I think like that when I'm comforably in front of my screen, maybe if I were in her position I wouldn't :D
NiLa wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:38 pm And of course, I love Amanda Tappings's famous MacGyver joke.I am sure, that all of you know it by heart, but here it is again, just to enjoy it, it's hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for posting it here! I already watched it a lot but it never fails to make me laugh :lol:

Juliette,
You know I never thought about it, but yes, she should have thought about dialing another planet!! :) Thanks for the link Anja! :lol:
Jerseycoconut
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Hi, Anja! Glad you got to read the posts on this wonderful episode and then post your own good comments. I LOVED everything you wrote. And thanks for the link to the funny scene with Amanda Tapping talking about MacGyver. Love that too!

Thanks again!
B
yolie

Post by yolie »

Agree with you all, really loved this episode too. One of many top favorites of mine. ;)
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

"Comtraya!" :roll: Should I attempt the next episode?

Tin Man

Do I like this episode? = Would I like to exist there? Nope, didn't like it. Dark environment, even wardrobe, sound effects (cold rhythmic, metal clanging, rattling and rumbling, closed submarine...). To many questions brought up.. Was it the writers? Unanswered questions..
RDA, none of his personality transformed, that was great acting. And Teal'c, I believe, it was his symbiote that transferred, not Teal'c's personality. Great acting there too by Chis Judge.
Harlan, an artificial intelligence robot, copied each of the SG1 members to help maintain his 'race' (a big machine).
A question, Is AI high tech better? Sure, a gift of immortality, strength, no pain might be, but hell, Harlan said 1,000 of his original living race transferred - and he's the only one left. :?:
And, what is it to be alive? Running around with a job fixing machines, is he offering life to these 'copies'? Is not being alive to mix with other lives? Feel, laugh, love, care, create art, music. . . :?:
Harlan copied their conscious, but did he get their souls? Did he remember what being human was? :?:
Did Teal'c's conscious or his symboite share the same transfer and fight it out? or only his symbiote transfer? :?:
Were the 'copied' SG1's starting to struggle with themselves, growing, expanding? Becoming human? :?:

At the end, the 'copies' stay with Harlan, having to accept their fate. 'Copied' O'Neill and Col. O'Neill agree to bury the Gate, to keep SGC's secrets, but, as we will see in a future episode, they do leave. . . :o

And. . .Did I see the 'copied' O'Neill' and Col. O'Neill send 'eye wink' good byes to each other?? :? :lol:

Give me even lighting bugs and candles. . . :roll:

Jerseycoconut ;)
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

New friday, new episode of the week. This time: Tin Man.

SG1 explores a planet called Altair. The stargate is inside an industrial complex which is far more advanced in technology as earth, but seems to be very old and on many places not in good shape.
On their way back to the stargate the four team members are hit by a white beam and fall down unconsciously.
When they wake up they are lying on some strange banks and their uniforms and weapons are gone, otherways they feel fine.
They are greeted by a very friendly and kind of strange man. His name is Harlan and he claims to be the only inhabitant of the planet. He agrees to give them their weapons back, but tells them that their uniforms are gone.
He tells them that the industrial complex they are in is underground and had been built when the planets biosphere changed and his people couldn't live on the planet's surface anymore. During the conversation they find out, that their minds suddenly work much more faster than before.
Harlan tells them that he made them better and when he won't explain Jack what that means exactly and how he made them better they leave the planet and return to the SGC.

When the team is in the infirmary Dr. Fraiser examines Jack and can't find a heartbeat anymore. Also his blood has turned into a white liquid. Jack grabs a scalpel and cuts bis arm open. Horrified he finds out, that his body has been turned into a machine.
Dr. Fraisier pulls the alarm and SG1 is put into a holding cell.

There they discuss the situation. Only Jack seems to realize the trouble they are in. When Daniel and Sam seem to be fascinated by the situation he is sure that they can't live their lives on as if nothing has happened. Teal'c is very still, even more than usual, as he has lost his symbiote, but he still feels his presence. They also realize, that Harlan must be a robot too.

General Hammond comes to see them and tries to access the situation. Suddenly all four members of SG1 break down, they run out of energy. They are sent back to the planet, where Harlan greets them enthusasticially and their strength returns immediately.
Jack is outraged and demands that he reverses the process and puts their consciousnes back into their original bodies. Harlan tells them, that this would be impossible.
They would have to stay forever with him on Altair. He explains that he needs their help to maintain the underground complex, as it is in need in many places. While they should rest some time to recharge their bodies Jack tries to convince Harlan that they want to go home. Daniel, Sam and Teal'c seem to adapt to the situation, Daniel even finds some positive aspects in it.
Teal'c suddenly leaves the room. In a lonley corner he has a seizure and breaks down.

Suddenly a huge alarm goes off. Harlan explains the problem and Jack, Daniel and Sam agree to help him for now, otherwise the main power source would break down and they would all die.
They find out that they are much more faster and stronger now; Daniel is able to pull a iron panel out of the wall; Jack jumps down two floors and has no more problem with his knees; while they are on their way to release pressure of some pipes suddenly Teal'c attacks Jack. Although Jack does his best to fight him, he doesn't stand a chance. Teal'c presses his head against the hot steam that poures out of a pipe until Jack goes down. He wants to attack him again. In the last second Harlan shoots and disintegrates him. Jack's face is damaged badly, but Harlan just tells he can repair it and leaves to repair Teal'c, too. Daniel,Sam and Jack follow him and discover that Harlan is producing another Teal'c, who is nearly finished. They demand to be told how that is possible and Harlan shows them the truth.

Their consciousnes hasn't been transfered into artificial bodies, they find out that they are one to one copies. The original members of SG1 are lying on identical banks like they have awakened on and are kind of stunned. They release them and the humans are fine.
Jack (the robot) is devastated. He realizes that they never are able to return home.
While Daniel and Sam are fascinated and begin to talk to their duplicates, he just leaves the room. Teal'c asks for his duplicate and when Harlan tells him, he had to disintegrate it he claims to understand.
Jack (the original) follows his duplicate to talk to him. Robot Jack is still shattered but he agrees that the duplicates remain on Altair and bury the Stargate. The human SG1 returns home and the duplicates stay behind in Altair.

I was so sorry for the duplicates. Imagine yourself being copied and cut out from your life! Never able to see your family, your friends again, stuck in a place like Altair! Horrifying! That's no life!

The robots are exactly like zu the originals, also in character. Daniel adapts quickly to the situation, he accepts it and even appreciates the new possibilitis given to him, eternal life etc. Sam has the point of view of a scientist and Teal'c will be ok in the new version. But not Jack. You can see it in his face when he wishes the human Jack a good life. Definitely a heartbreaking point for me.
So I always wondered what would happen to them and I was glad to see them later in season 4 again, although only for one episode.

And I wondered what happened after the episode ended. What would stand in the mission reports? What if someone tried to get the duplicating technology? Think of an army of superfast, superclever robot soldiers, that would definitely be a dream of the NID.

By the way, there is a great novel called Hydra from Fandemonium books, that elaborates excatly that topic in a brilliant way.

So a good episode with definitely open endings, it was sad, that they didn't explored it further.

II like it, although it is kind of bittersweet for me. Good that SG1 is safe again, but bitter for their duplicates who have to find a way to live on (eternally) without "their life".

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Great comments, jerseycoconut and Anja!

Nothing much to add because you both have summarized this episode, Tin Man, so well.

Just that I like this episode a lot because of its fascinating subject matter and acting. I thought Harlan was funny. I especially enjoyed Jack's fury at Harlan when he said he wanted Harlan to get their original bodies back NOW. Then there was another scene where Jack is so angry at Harlan that he is trying to hurt him (sort of) and Harlan says, stop, you are damaging me. I just love Jack when he is expressing his anger.

The wonder of modern television miracles is evident in that they can portray both the original and the duplicate characters at the same time without any hint that this is a "fake" picture.

Thanks again for all the wonderful comments!
B