Website Redesign

JackGywer

Re: Website Redesign

Post by JackGywer »

tvero80 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:24 pm Found something !!! Office/desk version instead of mobile version ( not sure about the translation , click on the 3 vertical dots top right and you'll find it I hope , J ) and you'll see vertically too : 4 squares, one picture in the top left hand corner ,one picture in the bottom right hand corner . Texts top right and bottom left . But is it what we're supposed to see ?
Yes wonderful. That's how it works for me too ;)
I assume there is no mobile version of the website.
Therefore it will not be displayed correctly on my cellphone.
So a thing of the settings on my phone.
When I created my website, I had to create two versions, the desktop version and the mobile version,
so that it can be displayed correctly on the phone :? :roll: That was and still is a lot of work!
And that with only very minor material..............Kate,
I admire your patience and diligence :)

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Thank you, everyone (here and in email), for the feedback. It helps to know how it apppears on different devices. I only have a phone and a desktop, so I can't possibly test it in every kind of situation.
JackGywer wrote: I assume there is no mobile version of the website.
Therefore it will not be displayed correctly on my cellphone.
So a thing of the settings on my phone.
When I created my website, I had to create two versions, the desktop version and the mobile version,
so that it can be displayed correctly on the phone :? :roll: That was and still is a lot of work!
And that with only very minor material..............Kate,
I admire your patience and diligence :)
Actually, I am building *four* versions of this site. I'm using breakpoint 640 for small and mobile devices, 1024 for medium and some large devices, and a maximum of 1400 for widescreens, plus the fallback version for IE and old browsers. (I forgot to mention that IE doesn't support CSS Grid, so the site will probably appear funky on that browser. It should work, but things won't be neatly arranged. But according to my statistics, fewer than 5% of visitors still use IE. Does anyone here?)

What breakpoints did you use, JackGywer? Of all the feedback I got, you and tvero were the only ones who were getting that weird squished effect. I have a Samsung 8+, and it fits perfectly on my phone - the pictures are square and fill the width of the screen without being squished or cut off. On my desktop, though, I was able to resize my browser and squish it WAY down to recreate the effect you were getting. So it must have to do with screen resolution (rather than size). Even that I don't fully understand. Those pictures on the homepage are 400px square. My phone says its resolution is 2220x1080, but the 400px picture fills the screen. :? I'm not sure of the best way to solve the problem. I could use smaller pictures and text boxes for mobile devices, but they'd look too small on a full screen, and I'd have to do a double set of every image. :shock:
tvero80 wrote: Found something !!! Office/desk version instead of mobile version ( not sure about the translation , click on the 3 vertical dots top right and you'll find it I hope , J ) and you'll see vertically too : 4 squares, one picture in the top left hand corner ,one picture in the bottom right hand corner . Texts top right and bottom left . But is it what we're supposed to see ?
Wow, I didn't even know my phone had that setting. Yes, the four squares fall into two rows of two each like you described in the full desktop version. But does it look really tiny to you that way? On my phone, when I turn it horizontally, the main menu appears on the left, but the pictures still only form one column on top of each other. And if I use that desktop setting you found, it does the same thing except everything is a little bit smaller - both vertical and horizontal. :? I guess all I can do is make sure the site functions properly, even if it appears different to everyone.

In the meantime, I've been trying to figure out if it's possible to do a Photo Gallery without frames. (If not, there is no point in trying to redo the rest of the site.) Anyway, I think I found a possibility. It's taken me three days of reading and tutorials to figure out the code, but it is sort of working for me right now. So I've put up another sample for available testers:

http://rdanderson.bravehost.com/new/photos

(The little menu icon isn't working on that one, but none of the links are working right now anyway on either menu.) The little thumbnails should slide around into position depending on the screen size and on which little selection boxes you click on. Then, clicking on an image should make the whole screen darken and the enlargement appear. You can scroll through the enlargements by clicking on the little left and right arrows that appear on the picture when you hover. Without hovering, on a touch screen, the little arrows don't appear, but if you tap on the right or left side of the picture, it should move to the next one. The enlargements are small on a phone - I have the option to make each picture open in a new window to make them bigger, but I don't know if it's worth it to have to close and open each one separately.

On my phone, the little thumbnails form three columns vertically, and 5 columns if I turn it sideways.

So, I'm hoping it works for other people too??

Kate
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

My phone uses 1920x1090 and so I've never had problems on any websites before.
I have the Huawei P10 light.
If I change the setting to desktop, I'll see it correctly, but small, so I'll have to make it bigger to read reasonably.
I can not see so well anyway, in spite of glasses.

That's how it looks to me:

J.K.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

On my smartphone I can see a column only if I use the mobile setting and I have no problem to read . Otherwise( desktop ) as I tried to explain earlier in a conversation with Lies , there are 2 boxes at the top and 2 at the bottom but they all appear only if I hold my phone horizontally. Everything is bigger and easily readable then .The menu never appears on either setting. I have to click in the top left hand corner and it sort of slides to the right and hides the pic.. am I clear? :? Maybe the size of the screen makes the difference ? Mine is rather small and therefore narrow.

I tried the 2nd sample , the photos , Kate, and it works fine for me .
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

On my SMARTPHONE (Xperia XA) , as for Tvero, the home page doesn't appear centered. The first two letters of all lines are missing.

But, if I use the three points at the top right of my Phone, and I choice "computer version", the aspect is good as JackGywer. It's weird but it works well.. 😁

About pictures, It's perfect (fast to open and well centered).😁
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Is this any better now?

http://rdanderson.bravehost.com/new

I've sort of figured out how to make the PAGE responsive, but I'm still learning how to make the IMAGES and TEXT responsive. (For one thing, the banner at the top gets really small on a phone - I have to fix that.)

I've changed a few things. Now the pictures on the main page should shrink a little on smaller screens instead of getting squished and long. And the text boxes will get narrower instead of getting cut off, and they'll just stretch to long rectangles to make room for the text.

I hope.

The last picture seems to drop down a little too low on a full screen, but I'll figure that out later. First I just need to see if everything resizes and is still readable.

Thanks!

Kate
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

Yes, that's it ........ and legible. The photo is now a bit blurry, but only by the enlargement in the forum, on the phone, it is completely clear :)

J.K.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

KateR wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:16 am Is this any better now?

http://rdanderson.bravehost.com/new

Thanks!

Kate
Yes, it's great!
Thanks? WE thank you ,Kate!!!
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

Perfect for me !! :D
You're the best Kate.. 💕
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

JackGywer wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:40 am Yes, that's it ........ and legible. The photo is now a bit blurry, but only by the enlargement in the forum, on the phone, it is completely clear :)
LOL! I adjusted the size, and it suddenly translated into GERMAN. I wonder how I managed to do THAT?! :shock: ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the feedback. :D Now I need to figure out how to do text/picture pages like the Lexicon, and the Video Gallery pages...

Kate