Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

bftlovesRDA

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks for explaining just who Tantalus was and about the Torment of Tantalus.

And I wonder the same thing as you did re: how did Ernest survive all those years on such a planet...... :?: :?: :?:
B
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Juliette wrote: Nowadays, it is said of people who can never reach their desires.
In the episode, it appears in many forms:
- the many experiments to get the gate to work
- Ernest's desire to go back home, and Catherine's hope to eventually be reunited with Ernest all these years
- SG-1's desire to get back home too, once they also get stuck
- Daniel's desire to understand all the knowledge of the four races and therefore his difficulty to let it go
Not to mention Ernest living on that planet alone for 50 years, surrounded by all that knowledge, and realizing enough to know what it was, but always the understanding of it was just out of reach. I thought his trying to convince Daniel to let it go because it wasn't worth anything if you couldn't share it was particularly touching. I was rather fond of Ernest and Catherine. So sad they missed out on their life together.

Kate
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

KateR wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:06 am
Juliette wrote: Nowadays, it is said of people who can never reach their desires.
In the episode, it appears in many forms:
- the many experiments to get the gate to work
- Ernest's desire to go back home, and Catherine's hope to eventually be reunited with Ernest all these years
- SG-1's desire to get back home too, once they also get stuck
- Daniel's desire to understand all the knowledge of the four races and therefore his difficulty to let it go
Not to mention Ernest living on that planet alone for 50 years, surrounded by all that knowledge, and realizing enough to know what it was, but always the understanding of it was just out of reach. I thought his trying to convince Daniel to let it go because it wasn't worth anything if you couldn't share it was particularly touching. I was rather fond of Ernest and Catherine. So sad they missed out on their life together.

Kate
Ah I knew I forgot something! Thanks Kate!
Of course, Ernest stuides constantly the device but never succeeds to understand it.
Yes that moment is very touching, what's the point of knowing many things if you can't share with anyone?
Yup really great episode :)
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Shall we move on to the next episode Bloodlines for this week's discuss? :)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Yes, let's move on to Bloodlines.

This is an episode that evidently did not make a big impression on me because I don't think of it highly. I will re-watch it from my DVD and come back and comment.

Please go ahead and start the discussion.... :D :D :D
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Ok, have re-watched "Bloodlines". I think it did not stick with me previously because Jack is not the main character in it......but he is in it enough.

It is a good episode, IMHO......we get introduced to Bra'tec and Teal'c wife and son during this episode.

Basically, it is about Teal'c not wanting his son to go through the Primta (ceremony where the Gao'uld larva is implanted into a young boy so he can become a true Jaffa). Teal'c does not want him to become a slave to the Gao'ulds.

Gen. Hammond at first won't let SG1 go to Chulak where this ceremony is to be performed. But after he learns from Jack that Teal'c left a son and a wife on Chulak when he saved SG1, Hammond relents and allows the mission.

The team arrives in priestly garb on Chulak. They go to Teal'c's home that is now destroyed with the symbol of Traitor painted on it. Teal'c is distraught. But his old friend, Master Bra'tec shows up. He says he expected Teal'c to come for his son's ceremony but he expected him to come alone. He says, why have you brought these Hassack with him to which Jack responds, "Hey Hey Hey, who you callin' a Hassock? What's a Hassock?"

Bra'tec challenges Jack who takes Bra'tec down. Bra'tec says if he were younger than his 100 years, it might not have been so easy. Jack apologizes, reaches out to Bra'tec, and Bra'tec takes Jack down!

Jack sends Daniel and Sam back to the Stargate. Meanwhile the rest go to Teal'c's family's tent where the Primta ceremony is about to take place. Teal'c stops the priest from implanting the larva. His wife tries to stop Teal'c saying he has condemned their son to death. She also complains about the fact that she and her son have been outcasts since Teal'c betrayed the gods he had served for many years. Teal'c says he changed his mind about the false gods once the earth people showed him the truth. Teal'c's wife says do you know what I had to go through to convince the priests I was still loyal to our gods? She says their son believes Teal'c is dead.

Meanwhile, Daniel and Sam end up following a procession of priests who are carrying a container of Goa'uld larvae.

Teal'c's son wakes up and sees his father. Teal'c realizes his son is very sick (with Scarlet Fever according to Jack who gives him some antibiotic powder) and Teal'c says, "What have I done?" He carries his son towards the Stargate but his son is not going to make it that far. Teal'c decides to give his Goa'uld larva to his son in order to heal him and enable him to live, even though it will mean Teal'c's certain death. Teal'c apologizes to his son for having to give him the Goa'uld = enslave him to it.....but he must in order to save his son's life.

Sam and Daniel arrive just in time with a container holding a larva which they took from the container that the priests had carried near the temple. This larva saves Teal'c's life as as Bra'tec implants it inTeal'c. It immediately starts to heal Teal'c who had become weak after giving his Goa'uld larva to his son.

Teal'c's wife and son stay behind = with Teal'c telling his wife to blame everything on Teal'c. Teal'c tells his son that one day he will stand beside him to fight for freedom of all Jaffa.

SG1 and Bra'tec head toward the Stargate where Bra'tec wipes out several Jaffa with ease and they all make it safely through the Stargate. The End.

All in all a very good episode in which we learn much that carries through the rest of the series. I think I didn't like it at first because Jack was not featured in it as much as in other episodes.

Here are some screencaps from "Bloodlines": (mostly Jack centric)

Apologies for the long post.
B
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Bloodlines [Belated Happy Father's Day to all out there!] ;)

This episode was good timing for the holiday honoring dad's.
Not all fathers and kids can be together all the time, for different reasons. Teal'c, who has joined SG1, to fight the goa'uld, has left family on Chulak, and has been without contact. He is also the only SG1 member with a child at this time.

Teal'c knows it is the time of Prim'ta for his son. This rite of passage is when the young child receives a symbiote enabling him to have good health, long life and become Jaffa. It also enslaves him to the goa'uld for the rest of their life.

Teal'c as father does not want to let his son become s slave to this cause. He will risk his life for his son's by returning home and stopping the ceremony.

The knowledge that Teal'c has left family behind to join SG1, is news to them. Seeing his intent to return home, the team joins him to rescue his wife and son. Upon arriving on Chulak, they find his family has been outcast and shunned for Teal'c's betrayal of the gods.

To expedite things SG1 splits in to two groups. Sam & Daniel will guard the gate; Jack , Teal'c, and Bra'tac (Teal'c's teacher & friend) will rescue Rya'c & Drey'auc (Teal'c's wife).

Breaking into the ceremony, Teal'c fights the priest preforming it, accidentally kills him and the symbiote.

Coinciding with Rya'c's Prim'ta, he is deathly ill and needs the implantation to live. With the original symbiote dead, Teal'c removes his own and gives it to his son knowing it will save him, and enslave him at the same time. It is not the only life and death decision that he has made. Before leaving Earth, Teal'c was working with Dr. Fraiser to find a drug to substitute for the need of a symboite. The experiments failed. Teal'c will die when he is without the goa'uld larva for several hours.

Rya'c gets better, but Teal'c gets worse.

Sam and Daniel meet up with the team. After being told of Teal'c sacrifice, they pull a goa'uld larvae out of a jar. Sam & Daniel have been investigating a Goa'uld Temple and acquired/procured a larva for Dr. Fraiser's study. Teal'c gets another Junior.

Rya'c's admiration for his father is renewed and their relationship reestablished. Bra'tac assures Teal'c he will train Rya'c properly as he taught him in the ways to fight for freedom against the Jaffa.
The team returns to earth.

I'm glad the writer's made Teal'c with the human qualities/attributes so he is not just a violent fighter model alien. :)

Don't even ask about the image of Junior, Teal'c's larvae. This episode made Jack's dislike each time he saw it, understandable. :o :shock: ;)

Jerseycoconut :D
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

I like the episode much, because it shows us Teal'c as a father and husband, not only as warrior. His "human" side makes him more sympathetic.

He left his wife and son back on Chulak when he turned sides and now wants to prevent that his son becomes implanted with a Goa'uld, that would enslave him. Due to the sickness of Ry'ac he himself has to implant him with a Goa'uld larva to save him. And he begs his son for forgiveness.
But when Ry'ac wakes up again, he seems rather pleased, that he has his own Goa'uld now. I think he doesn't know about the "false gods" theory of his father until now. But as he will become the new apprentice of Bra'tac, he will learn that part soon. ;)

Another reason why I like the episode is the first appearance of Bra'tac, Teal'c's former master. The first encounter is quite funny when he challanges Jack, gets thrown to the ground and then throws him down in a counterattack. Also the cultural differences between the Jaffa warrior and the human soldier becomes very clear as Bra'tac is not familiar with clichès and takes every word seriously.
But during the episode Jack and Bra'tac grow some mutual respect and Bra'tac even tries to use Jack's cliché for himself.
So, when SG1 returns to earth in the end, Jack and Sam salute Bra'tac and he gives a kind of salute back.
During the series Bra'tac returns regularly and becomes an important ally.

We can also see how much Daniel hates the Goa'uld. So he fires with a machine gun on the tank of Goa'uld larvae to kill them and prevent that they ever are able to take a host. This outburst of aggression and hate is something new in the usually diplomatic and peaceful character of Daniel, that I haven't seen so far.

Good episode in my opinion.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

I don't have much to say on Bloodlines..
it's far from my favorite episode, but it is still necessary to learn more about the goa'uld, jaffas, and about Teal'c himself since we learn about some things of his past and the fact that he has a family! A wife and a son he felt on Chulak.
We also meet Bra'tac, who will turn out to be a very important character in the show
My favorite scene is when Bra'tac and Jack fight :)

Does anyone else have any comments or do we move on to the next episode?
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Next episode: Fire and Water

Could not decide if I liked or disliked this episode. Watched it a couple of years ago and remembered liking the sea creature's makeup and wardrobe. Watched it again and still nothing.
So, I went outside to pick some blueberries, then it occurred to me what was special.

First, to summarize the episode:
SG1 visits what seamed like an unoccupied world.
The team returns to SGC without Daniel, emotionally traumatized, remembering only bits and pieces. :shock:
Dr. Fraiser treats Jack, Sam, and Teal'c for PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).
They remember Daniel dying. They have a funeral and wake for him. Col. O'Neill defines Dr. Jackson as, "Our voice, Our conscious mind, Our friend, and a good man".
Something is amiss. Breaking into each of their memories are pieces of Daniel being alive. :o
Sam volunteers to go under hypnosis which reveals he might be alive. The team must return to the planet.
Meanwhile, back on the planet. . .
Dr. Jackson is alive and under the sea being interrogated by the alien, Nem. His mate, Omoroca, left him to fight the Goa'uld on Earth and never returned. He wants to pick it out of Daniel's mind, his memories of what happened to her. Problem is, it occurred 4,000 years ago in ancient Babylon.
Nem, "The knowledge is in your mind". (Daniel knows the ancient language). Daniel recalling the books he has read, says he cannot remember and pleads to return to earth, to my library of information.
Your friends will not come for you. "I implanted memory, you are gone". Daniel begs - if you can effect the mind, use this device on my mind.
Nem is not willing to damage Dr. Jackson's mind. "You may die", but, Daniel wants to help.
Under Nem's technology, Daniel recalls, Omoroca fights the Goa'uld god, Belus. Belus murders his love. :cry:
Having his answer, Nem allows Daniel to leave.
Meanwhile, SG1 has returned to the planet.
They part as friends. :D

Although they started out as enemies, Daniel thru his own self sacrifice, brings across the best of humanity. By helping Nem find the long awaited answer to his lost love, he enlightens that they are not enemies but allies.
Dr. Daniel Jackson wins the MVP for this episode. As Col. O'Neill describes him at this funeral, 'our voice, our conscious mind, friend, & good man'.

Jack gets an honorable mention.
Sam is upset. Jack gives Sam a shoulder to cry on, and a hug, and soft words, and hug, and rub, and hug, and squeeze, still hugging . . :lol: :P :lol:
And of course for the funny quote of the episode, "Tell us about it over sushi'. :P

Anyone for peace with blueberry crumb pie? :lol:
Jerseycoconut ~ Peace