MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

BarbaraB

Re: MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

Post by BarbaraB »

I just discovered this thread. I've been watching the Stargate DVDs for a while now, and I'm used to seeing RDA as Jack. I'd forgotten how young and absolutely gorgeous he was as Mac! :D

In an earlier post, Kate said:
I also felt that in the earliest episodes MacGyver was more "even tempered" in the sense that we rarely saw him laughing, or angry, or scared, or exasperated. He seemed to take everything in stride with a sort of quiet determination that often came across as confidence even though he wasn't really feeling that way. For example, in The Gauntlet when Kate says, "You make it sound so easy," and he responds "That's to keep me from thinking about how scared I am." That was such a refreshing character trait in those days, compared to the other TV heroes at the time who faced danger with bravado and weapons. I found that aspect of MacGyver very appealing.
I loved that about Mac. Ever since the show was on, if I found myself in a situation that seemed overwhelming, I'd think about what Mac would say or do. It would calm me down and help me to think of a solution.

When I went to MegaCon last year, someone at the panel discussion asked RDA which romantic scene he liked best in the series. Of course, being RDA, he forgot her name, but he said something like the one with "the actress with the curly hair at the campfire." Naturally, the audience knew he meant Robin Curtis and told him her name.
Barbara
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

BarbaraB wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:45 pm I just discovered this thread. I've been watching the Stargate DVDs for a while now, and I'm used to seeing RDA as Jack. I'd forgotten how young and absolutely gorgeous he was as Mac! :D

In an earlier post, Kate said:
I also felt that in the earliest episodes MacGyver was more "even tempered" in the sense that we rarely saw him laughing, or angry, or scared, or exasperated. He seemed to take everything in stride with a sort of quiet determination that often came across as confidence even though he wasn't really feeling that way. For example, in The Gauntlet when Kate says, "You make it sound so easy," and he responds "That's to keep me from thinking about how scared I am." That was such a refreshing character trait in those days, compared to the other TV heroes at the time who faced danger with bravado and weapons. I found that aspect of MacGyver very appealing.
I loved that about Mac. Ever since the show was on, if I found myself in a situation that seemed overwhelming, I'd think about what Mac would say or do. It would calm me down and help me to think of a solution.

When I went to MegaCon last year, someone at the panel discussion asked RDA which romantic scene he liked best in the series. Of course, being RDA, he forgot her name, but he said something like the one with "the actress with the curly hair at the campfire." Naturally, the audience knew he meant Robin Curtis and told him her name.
:D :D :D re: the actress with the curly hair at the campfire.....LOL.....great response from RDA and great response from the audience.

Glad you found this thread and there is one like it over in the Stargate section = discussing the Stargate episodes also....hope you will post your comments on those episodes there if you would like to do so.

Thanks for your comments here. And, yes, RDA WAS absolutely gorgeous as Mac....and also, later, as Jack.......love his handsome looks in both. :oops: :oops: :oops:
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

I like The Gauntlet
I don't have much to add to what has been said already
I love the way they escape, in that big barrel and swim across the river :)
It's funny how the two mexicans welcome them with such open arms and do not question them and the reason why they are running away ^^
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

I just watched "The Gauntlet" today again.
I like the episode and have it watched many times.
I like the diversion with the fireworks, the candles and the churchbell. Also the first escape with the bus is great.
I like the scene at the campfire with the "Lizard a la MacGyver" and how he little humor about starting the fire using a match. Did you realize that for the kissing always the women are responsible? They go for it, not MacGyver....at the camp he even hesitates a bit. Spirit of the 80, the hero gets the girls and they are the ones who go for it. :lol:
In the end when MacGyver and Kate cross the river and have escaped to Mexico I like the humor of the Mexican border patrol when they welcome them - soking wet - and ask them if they would have something to declare. And Kate fixes her lucky camera with duct tape "MacGyver-Style".
I find nothing in this episode I don't like.... five stars from me.
...and I found a little "oops"....look for it at the special topic.

Anja ;)

P.S. I watched the epsiode today together with my 13 year old daughter....comment from her: MacGyver is very clever....and we have one fan more among us :D :D :D
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

NiLa wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:23 pm I just watched "The Gauntlet" today again.
I like the episode and have it watched many times.
I like the diversion with the fireworks, the candles and the churchbell. Also the first escape with the bus is great.
I like the scene at the campfire with the "Lizard a la MacGyver" and how he little humor about starting the fire using a match. Did you realize that for the kissing always the women are responsible? They go for it, not MacGyver....at the camp he even hesitates a bit. Spirit of the 80, the hero gets the girls and they are the ones who go for it. :lol:
In the end when MacGyver and Kate cross the river and have escaped to Mexico I like the humor of the Mexican border patrol when they welcome them - soking wet - and ask them if they would have something to declare. And Kate fixes her lucky camera with duct tape "MacGyver-Style".
I find nothing in this episode I don't like.... five stars from me.
...and I found a little "oops"....look for it at the special topic.

Anja ;)

P.S. I watched the epsiode today together with my 13 year old daughter....comment from her: MacGyver is very clever....and we have one fan more among us :D :D :D
Thanks for your comments, Anja = and for yours Juliette. Welcome to your daughter, Anja, as another MacGyver FAN! She is among friends. :D :D
B
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

I'm struggling to get one more episode done for the Lexicon per week (not easy!), so I'm falling behind on this discussion, and I'm speaking from memory since I'm not fitting in time to re-watch them. But some of these early episodes are among my favorites.

I really enjoyed The Gauntlet. It was one of those classic, simplistic plots with clear Good Guys and Bad Guys in a fictional Spanish-speaking country that apparently borders Mexico across a river (which kind of makes it Guatemala, but I don't think they ever say that, do they?). It's just so 80s. :)

But it also has a lot of cleverness, and charm, and chemistry. I enjoyed the Opening Gambit with the map. It was fun watching the creativity of how many ways a map "can get you where you want to go" (in a day before we all had GPS on our cell phones!). :lol:

Despite the stereotype of the bad guys, I liked the fact that Kate Conolly was not a stereotype. She was strong, independent, and able to take care of herself, not a helpless damsel in distress. She made a good partner for MacGyver, and it's no surprise that they had chemistry. (How cute that RDA still fondly remembers the campfire kiss with the curly-haired woman - there must have been "something" to that chemistry!)

His MacGyverisms were all quite low-tech in this one and didn't require much science (even to the point of tossing Kate at the bad guy to get a good chance for a punch), and that kind of emphasized the "Everyman" side of MacGyver that I think appealed to the audience. "You too can think like MacGyver, even if you are not a scientific genius."

And I enjoyed the moments of humor. The line that made me laugh the most was the border guard asking "Do you have anything to declare?" and Mac's "wise guy" response. Overall, to me, it was a feel-good, classic, early-MacGyver style episode, and as I said, those are among my favorites.

Now, back to the Lexicon.

Kate
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks, Kate, for your comments on "The Gauntlet" and for all your efforts on the MacGyver Lexicon. All are appreciated. :D :D :D
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

I also have to add that I like The Gauntlet for the huge amount of 'cute faces' it offers us :oops: :P

Sunglasses

And even a wet tank top :D

Pics are from the Lexicon, I don't know where else I can find good screencaps ;)
lesliekretchmar

Post by lesliekretchmar »

Oooo, Juliette, thanks for posting those great screenshots! And to all comments - they were great to "hear"!!
ImageWith a little imagination, anything is possible"
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Juliette wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:29 pm I also have to add that I like The Gauntlet for the huge amount of 'cute faces' it offers us :oops: :P

Pics are from the Lexicon, I don't know where else I can find good screencaps ;)
These screencaps are sooooo good....thank you Juliette for finding them and posting them here, and thank you, Kate, for all your work on the MacGyver lexicon.

Here's a quote from Kate's summary of Kate Connolly's participation in the episode..... "Conolly admired MacGyver's unique way of facing and overcoming problems, and she cooperated well with him, earning his admiration as well for her gusty determination and ingenuity. During their escape, they spent the night in the woods, sharing a lizard for dinner, a kiss, and a place by the fire". <--nice way to put it .....we don't know how far they went..... :oops: :oops: :oops: but we do know they spent the night next to each other.....and we know that later at Mac's birthday party when Kate comes in looking very pregnant, Mac protests that it wasn't him that did this......or at least that was the implication of what Mac said to Kate's football player husband......which I thought went back to that night in the jungle for Mac and Kate.....but who knows...... :D :D :D :roll: :roll: :roll:
B