What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

bftlovesRDA

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by bftlovesRDA »

louby1980 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 pm I absolutely love Through The Eyes of a Killer .Marj is great in it and of course RDA is damn fine in it....I always love him when he plays a bad guy..Its a break from him playing the Mr Nice Guy persona. :D :D
Agree totally = and another movie where RDA plays the bad guy is "Beyond Betrayal". What is your opinion of that movie? (same question to others reading this thread). Any other comments on this movie?
B
louby1980

Post by louby1980 »

I liked Beyond Betrayal....not as much as through the eyes of a killer....I saw a thing on Youtube him filming that and he did some of his own stunts..brave but hes paid for it now....still love admire him for it though ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Any other comments on "Beyond Betrayal"?

Also we have started commenting on "Ordinary Heroes" since yolie posted the GREAT music video by Cyril of "Ordinary Heroes" over on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=111&start=210

The video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSvUvXdwf5c

So, any comments on "Beyond Betrayal" or "Ordinary Heroes"?
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

I saw Ordinary Heroes not so long ago and really wondered why I didn't watch it earlier..
I really loved that movie
Our man is so handome in it, his acting is perfection, the story is great and the love story at the begining is wonderful

The negative point is Tony's stubbornness. I was so angry at him while watching the movie, I was like "Stop being to stubborn, you're missing out such a beautiful love story, don't ruin everything!"
Of course it's the core of the story so you cannot remove it from the movie. But he was so reluctant and simply refused to overcome this obstacle, it's impressive. I was so sad for the girl.. it's weird, I could easily put myself in her place, I wonder why... :roll: even at the beginning! ;)

I really loved it and will watch it again soon ;)

Can't wait to hear what are your thoughts about it :)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Juliette wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:07 pm I saw Ordinary Heroes not so long ago and really wondered why I didn't watch it earlier..
I really loved that movie
Our man is so handome in it, his acting is perfection, the story is great and the love story at the begining is wonderful

The negative point is Tony's stubbornness. I was so angry at him while watching the movie, I was like "Stop being to stubborn, you're missing out such a beautiful love story, don't ruin everything!"
Of course it's the core of the story so you cannot remove it from the movie. But he was so reluctant and simply refused to overcome this obstacle, it's impressive. I was so sad for the girl.. it's weird, I could easily put myself in her place, I wonder why... :roll: even at the beginning! ;)

I really loved it and will watch it again soon ;)

Can't wait to hear what are your thoughts about it :)
Glad to read your comments, Juliette, on "Ordinary Heroes". I loved the movie too except that I wished it had lasted longer. I know it was based on a book but I felt the ending lacked length. Would have liked for it to have followed Tony on through his possible second eye surgery and beyond.....but that is just me. As you said, the love story at the beginning is wonderful. And the tragedy about Tony dealing with his loss of eyesight is played so well by Richard Dean Anderson.....but I do wish the story could have gone on longer and could have showed more deeply how Tony ended up triumphing over his handicap, especially with the love of his life.

This movie goes back to my time as a young wife of someone who was also drafted to go to Viet Nam but because of a physical disability was rated 4F = meaning he didn't have to go. He was deferred. (Yes, I am THAT old....). So, I knew people my age who were dealing with the very thing Tony and his girlfriend dealt with, getting that draft letter and going to VietNam. Fortunately, all the people I knew personally who went to Nam came back in one piece because it was near the end of the war and, again, fortunately, all of them made it back safely. And fortunately for me and my husband we did not have to deal with Tony's nightmare of a tour in the active war zone. But the movie does bring back memories of that very terrible time.

Side note: It was a very unpopular war at the time, and no volunteer army then as there is now in America. So, the discussion of the possibility of Tony going to Canada instead of accepting his draft status into active duty was very very realistic and accurate.....many discussions like that were being held at that time across America and many thousands did what Tony did = felt like in the end they couldn't give up on their country at a time like that so they decided NOT to flee to Canada. In my own family, there were discussions of that possibility among some of the male members who faced being drafted. None of them were ever actually drafted so they never had to face that dilemma. But needless to say, the movie portrayed that little historical tidbit quite well.

RDA was, again, quite spectacularly good in this movie = especially as it was so early in his career. The rest of the cast also did a great job in the movie.

As far as on the list of my favorite RDA movies, this one is = on my list = below "In the Eyes of a Stranger" and "Through the Eyes of a Killer" and "Pandora's Clock" but above "Beyond Betrayal"....just for what it's worth.
B
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

Ordinary Heroes

I recently bought this movie on Ebay.
I was so happy to get it at an affordable price. When I bought and paid for it, I got an email asking me if I was sure I wanted the movie and I saw it was a videocassette? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Certainly not so popular nowadays and the seller was surprised that he got rid of the movie so fast.

A great movie with an even greater acting performance by Richard Dean Anderson!
His played blindness and consequent despair was believable and really got me carried away. When I saw him for the first time, I was really depressed afterwards.
That hung over me for days, was not the best time to see this movie, I have to say.
Anyway, he has highlighted himself as one of the best of his films for me.

His fresh, cheeky nature at the beginning made me laugh a lot.
He conquered the heart of his beloved in an instant. Unfortunately, both did not have much time to spend their young love.

Tony got his marching orders and had to go to war.
His stubbornness came to the fore here.

He almost drove away without really saying goodbye to his sweetheart. He loved her so much that he was willing to share it with others :shock: (Somehow strange behavior, but I think he was just scared of what he might find when he got back.)

In the war he was injured and went blind permanently. :cry:
His desperation was palpable, followed by depression and indifference to his life. Hard to look at!

He has to learn to deal with his blindness, which in the beginning is very difficult for him.
(Loved the scene when he was fed by the male nurse and lost his temper)

He denies contact with the outside world and those who love him.
He does not want to be a burden to anyone, I think.
His fiancé found him, tries to make contact with him, but does not make it when she sees him like this (she came straight to the scene where he was fed and covered with food all over).
At some point he is released from the hospital and is transferred to a hospital in his hometown.

With a trick, his friend brings him into the car of his fiancee, which brings him to his old residence and his friends.He makes a good face to the evil game and is forced into it.
(He must have felt betrayed)

When he is forced to deal with his love, he collapses.
Great actor, as he lies on the ground and cries unrestrained!
My heart almost broke in two :(

Conclusion: Tragic love story with relatively open end, would like to know how it went with the couple

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Thanks B for sharing your story!
I really enjoy learning about history from people who really lived it :)
It must have been a hard time indeed, I'm glad everyone came home ok, or didn't have to leave at all, it's even better

I wish the movie was longer too! Romantic movies are never long enough for me, I always want to see how the couple does together and what happens to them after the end :D I really would have loved to see how Tony overcomes his diffficulties and how it went between them..

We should ask for a sequel: "40 years later, where are they now" :lol:
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

JackGywer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 am Ordinary Heroes

I was so happy to get it at an affordable price. When I bought and paid for it, I got an email asking me if I was sure I wanted the movie and I saw it was a videocassette? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Certainly not so popular nowadays and the seller was surprised that he got rid of the movie so fast.

His played blindness and consequent despair was believable and really got me carried away. When I saw him for the first time, I was really depressed afterwards.
That hung over me for days, was not the best time to see this movie, I have to say.

Tragic love story with relatively open end, would like to know how it went with the couple.
THANK YOU SO MUCH, JK! Those screencaps are magnificent! So, you did view the videocassette somehow? You had a videocassette machine or did you have someone transfer it to a DVD for you?

Your summary and comments are also magnificent = I agree about the depressed feeling after first seeing the movie. I had that same experience. I didn't really want to see it again because it hit so close to home for me but mostly because I felt so badly for Tony and his blindness and wanted it to be "all right" for him. The love that he had for Maria came through in that poignant last scene and his ability to deal with his blindness - in that he recognized that he needed her so much - also seemed to come through.

Am glad you also wanted to know how it went with the couple. As Juliette said, we need a 40 year later continuation movie...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Juliette wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 am Thanks B for sharing your story!
I really enjoy learning about history from people who really lived it :)
It must have been a hard time indeed, I'm glad everyone came home ok, or didn't have to leave at all, it's even better

I wish the movie was longer too! Romantic movies are never long enough for me, I always want to see how the couple does together and what happens to them after the end :D I really would have loved to see how Tony overcomes his diffficulties and how it went between them..

We should ask for a sequel: "40 years later, where are they now" :lol:
You are welcome, Juliette. You can see that this movie hit home with me since it was of my "era". But it was a true to life depiction of what went on back then. RDA did such a good job of acting in it and so did Valerie Bertinelli - it is now a movie I want to see over again....the pain of that time is past.

So, I like your idea for a sequel...... :lol: :lol: :lol: But I wish they had done more with the movie at that time......more on how Tony dealt with his blindness and how his love life went after he accepted his fate....Ah, but it was not to be.

Thanks for your comments.
B
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

bftlovesRDA wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:45 pm
JackGywer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 am Ordinary Heroes

Tragic love story with relatively open end, would like to know how it went with the couple.
THANK YOU SO MUCH, JK! Those screencaps are magnificent! So, you did view the videocassette somehow? You had a videocassette machine or did you have someone transfer it to a DVD for you?

Your summary and comments are also magnificent = I agree about the depressed feeling after first seeing the movie. I had that same experience. I didn't really want to see it again because it hit so close to home for me but mostly because I felt so badly for Tony and his blindness and wanted it to be "all right" for him. The love that he had for Maria came through in that poignant last scene and his ability to deal with his blindness - in that he recognized that he needed her so much - also seemed to come through.

Am glad you also wanted to know how it went with the couple. As Juliette said, we need a 40 year later continuation movie...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually own a device that can play DVD and video tapes, I am glad that I have it.
But I will let me digitize the movie in addition, because video cassettes are not durable.

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.