MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

NiLa

MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

Post by NiLa »

Hi everyone.

In the topic Movies and other Roles B. has started sucessfully a discussion about RDAs movies. We already discussed In the Eyes of a Stranger, Through the Eyes of a Killer and are now at Pandora's Clock.

After we have so many MacGyver fans around here and to get something new to the MacGyver section I wondered, if you would be interested in a discussion of an episode of the week.

What do you think? Are you interested? As there are also many SG-1 fans here, we could start the same thing in the Stargate SG-1 section of the forum....

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Re: MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Yes, would love to participate. Thanks for bringing up these ideas.
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Bump for input.
B
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

good idea, of course I'm in :lol:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

As there is some interest in this topic, I think we'll start it.

Let's start with the Pilot and turn every friday to the next episode (except this friday).

I hope you all have fun with this.

I am curious to read your comments.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Hi, Anja. Great plan. Am ready since I just received my (duplicate) copies of MacGyver DVD's...thank goodness! I had lost them all when I moved last year so just recently re-ordered them from Amazon. Just came in.

This will be fun.

Am ready to discuss The MacGyver Pilot whenever anyone else is ready to start the discussion.,.., :D :D ;) ;)
B
Irina

Post by Irina »

Great idea! I too will take part! :)
"It's very difficult to say "goodbye" to someone who means so much... "
("To be a Man")
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Great to see you, Irina, on this thread too. Can't wait to get to the discussion. I just don't want to go first - others can start.... ;) ;) :roll: :roll: :D
B
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Trying to update the MacGyver Lexicon has always been on the back burner, but it is such a daunting task I wasn't sure it was worth going back to it. Once I finally got the last section of the Photo Gallery caught up, my plan was to work on the Video Gallery (also daunting!), but... if there is enough interest in old MacGyver episodes, maybe it will be the motivation (kick in the backside?) that I need to tackle it. I can't promise I can keep up with one episode per week, but since I already have an 8-episode head start, maybe I can at least make it through episode 9. :lol:

Actually, season one is still a favorite of mine. There was still a mystery and an innocence about the character then. And even though some of the episodes and the dialogue seem so trite now, there was a charm about them that kept you watching.

I remember in the summer of 1985 when the networks were airing their promo ads for the new season, a friend and I were talking about what looked like it was worth watching. I mentioned the one where the character is asked, "Don't tell me you can make a bomb out of a stick of chewing gum" and replies, "Why, you got some?" and said I was definitely going to check that one out. I had NO idea where that simple line was going to lead.

There was a time when I had most of the episodes nearly memorized, but I haven't rewatched most of them in years, so I've forgotten a lot. In addition to trying to document the characters and plot lines, I used to enjoy capturing little behind-the-scenes details, like shooting locations, filming notes, and continuity errors. The continuity errors are fun to find, but having been on the set to witness the process of shooting an episode, it is very easy to understand how they manage to slip through.

As I mentioned in the Lexicon, the pilot was originally shot as a 90-minute episode and was then re-edited to an hour. I do have a copy of the original script - MacGyver's first name is Stace, and he has a pet frog named Samuel. I wonder if the original 90-minute version still exists anywhere.

Kate
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

Oh, I'm looking forward to it :oops:
Would love to see progress on the MacGyver lexicon.

I especially loved the first two seasons.
Especially the explanations to the MacGyverisms. Really miss that in the later seasons.
But what bothered me, especially in the first season, was the ease with the women they gave him.
You could see in most episodes how he has been kissing women all the time. Whether he knew her or not!
(okay a bit over the top).
Wonder if they wanted to give him a certain image.
Maybe it worked that way in the 80's, no idea.
I was still a kid by the time :P
Later, he was rather reserved about women and body contact or not?
I still have to smile about this behavior every time I watch a first season episode.
And right in the pilot, it starts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love the reticent, shy MacGyver ;)
He somehow looks older in my eyes in the earlier episodes than later.
But that may be due to my own impression.

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.