Questions and answers about Stargate

BarbaraB

Re: Questions and answers about Stargate

Post by BarbaraB »

I'm working my way through Season 7. I thought "Heroes" was positively brilliant, especially the second part.

But, my question is about "Chimera." I liked Pete Shanahan at first. But then, behind Carter's back, he contacts a friend at the FBI and tries to find out more about Carter. He even follows her to work and interferes in her mission. Surprisingly, she doesn't seem to mind that he followed her to work! In fact, she gets permission to tell him all about SG-1. I found that totally unbelievable and was really annoyed by it. I don't see how she can trust him.

So I was just wondering if this has ever been discussed and what other people think.
Barbara
eurmos

Post by eurmos »

BarbaraB wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 pm I'm working my way through Season 7. I thought "Heroes" was positively brilliant, especially the second part.

But, my question is about "Chimera." I liked Pete Shanahan at first. But then, behind Carter's back, he contacts a friend at the FBI and tries to find out more about Carter. He even follows her to work and interferes in her mission. Surprisingly, she doesn't seem to mind that he followed her to work! In fact, she gets permission to tell him all about SG-1. I found that totally unbelievable and was really annoyed by it. I don't see how she can trust him.

So I was just wondering if this has ever been discussed and what other people think.
I believe that they granted her permission to take him to Cheyenne Mountain because of all that he witnessed at Daniel's. He saw the alien tech that Sarah used. Maybe they thought it was better to tell him the truth. I thought it was pretty shady of him to contact the FBI as well. She made a point of telling him that what she did was classified. He should have left it at that. For me that would be a definite deal breaker in a relationship.
Beth
BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB »

A definite deal breaker! If the writers and producers wanted Pete to find out the truth about Carter, they should have found a better way to do it.
Barbara
Anne

Post by Anne »

I have a slightly different opinon on Pete and what he did. I only got annoyed at him at a much later point in season 8, but that's another story. You have to keep in mind that he is a cop and I guess that once a cop always a cop. Meaning, he wanted to make sure Sam is 'clean'. Maybe he's been a burned child, I am not sure (can't remember if they ever touched on that) and just wanted to make sure his new girlfried isn't involved in anything shady. I am not saying what he did was okay - because it wasn't from the perspective of trust in a developing relationship - but in a way it was understandable (to me). Also, I guess the reason Sam didn't really mind, or didn't get overly mad about what he did was that she probably understood that AND probably would have done the same if things had been reversed, simply because in her line of job she couldn't be careful enough about with whom she hooks up. So I guess if she had any suspicions or any weird vibes coming from Pete she would have checked him out as well. That's just my two cents of thought.

BTW I'm actually pretty sure that Jack would check out background information on any 'outside relationship' he might have started (if he ever had) with someone he just met just to be on the safe side. In their line of work you can't be careful enough. And while Pete is not in their line of work, he had enough reasons to at least want to be sure the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with was not some kind of ... whatever he thought she might be :D
BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB »

Because of the nature of their work, I would be OK if Jack or Sam felt it was necessary to check out someone he or she was dating. I guess my objection with Pete was that Sam told him her work was classified, so he went behind her back to check her out and then interfered in her mission. He could have gotten killed, or caused the death of someone else.

I just started watching Season 8, so I'll be looking for whatever it was that annoyed you about Pete!
Barbara
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

(First time post, so here goes).. My question is concerning "Points of Origin" when dialing.

On the Stargate inner ring (Milky Way Galaxy network) there are 39 glyphs/symbols which can represent 39 potential points of origin for each stargate in the network. But the actual galactic map shows like 67 gate locations (not counting the supergate). So why are there more gates than there are glyph/symbol points of origin on the ring?

My hypothesis: Given that constellations as observed from Earth are not consistent throughout the galaxy. This should allow for the introduction of new constellations to be observed from planetary addresses far along the stargate network and thereby be themselves represented on the inner ring. Is this the accepted philosophy? This would be determined to be true only if other gates along the network included different glyph/symbols on the inner ring than what is shown on the Stargate located on Earth.

My personal experience is only involving 3 gates which themselves are named by an identifier 6-symbol address and thereby can be located as the destination point for a wormhole. The point of origin is never used as this function is facilitated by the "activation" button at the source. I understand the need to liken the concept of such travel in a way that seems plausible. With having the planet serving as the destination gravitational reference point (on the fabric of space-time) so that planet-bound ring can then act as the tuned anchor for the incoming wormhole. The thought being the destination ring is a tuned construct (in terms of tuning forks) and the dialing process simply tunes the outgoing wormhole for that specific tuned receiver. There was an experiment done where two tuning forks of the same tuned frequency capability were placed on opposite sides of a room. One was struck to vibrate strongly.. (the other was initially still) and as the energy spread across the room.. the 2nd tuning fork began vibrating without being touched. Having picked up the energy from the twin tuning fork that was itself previously struck. Perhaps this phenomena is contained somewhere in the design of the stargate network? Whereas the dialing shoots the wormhole toward a destination (out there in the galaxy) and the planet bound ring receives the energy from it's "twin" gate where the wormhole energy vibration was dialed from. This single concept hypothesis is supported in the episode "off the grid"(?) where it's mentioned that Baal is stealing Stargates from Ori contacted worlds so that he could supposedly relocate them to (previously unaddressed) worlds and thereby establish a new and separate address network. Secure from ever being dialed from outsiders. The stargates themselves are not network connected artifacts (I think the dhd themselves are updated through the active dialed network accounting for planetary drift), but rather the 2nd tuning construct receiving the vibration energy from the 1st tuning construct.

(hurts to wrap my head around this quantum physic mechanism trying to understand it by using simpler terms of reference)

<(^__^)/.. I'm going to bed.
Last edited by Salem Moses on Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Welcome to the discussion, Salem. :)

(I've turned off post monitoring for new members - you are clearly a fan! :lol: )

I suspect you have given more thought to this question than even the producers did. The inner workings of stargate physics seemed to change and develop as the series went on, as they modified it to work in later storylines. (In much the same way that they regretted in later episodes that they had decided early on that the third shot from a zat would cause something to disintegrate.)

Your explanation sounds as good as any. I'll be interested to see if others here can help to come up with an explanation that makes all the pieces of the puzzle fit. :)

Kate
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

<(^___^)/... Back among the living now, am always impressed by what a cup of coffee can do.

(*flexes fingers for some more typing*)

To be of help to anyone responding to this who is better than my own humble account with numbers or philosophical logic..

Milky Way Network Stargate (on Earth's Stargate) contains 39 glyphs which potentially allows for a 7-symbol address possibility of just over 128 million realistic (ie: non-reversable/non-repeating) combinations. And even most of those stellar coordinate locations won't have a stargate on that planet.. so this wittles down the number of usable addresses significantly. Still though, only 39 points of origin if these combinations are limited to the glyphs on the Earth Stargate.

Pegasus Network Stargate (at Atlantis) contains only 36 glyph symbols, as also does the Stargate onboard Destiny. The special case with Destiny though is that it's Stargate symbols are not based on fixed celestial constellations as the onboard Stargate had to operate with a moving point of origin (the ship itself). I would.. (guess?) that the symbols represented a mathematical distance calculation from Destiny as the new gates seeded along the way wouldn't have a dhd to update Destiny's master gate through the still forming network. A "floating" point of origin measuring distance rather than fixed locations (I'm assuming whoever placed stargates on planets in the Milky Way & Pegasus galaxies did so after calculating the planet's orbital path around the local sun as well as varying distances from it). -Just a random thought digested from using the internet. Destiny's sister seed ship manufacturing stargates and dropping them on viable planets would not have stuck around to calculate planetary drift figures. So distance modifiers on Destiny's Stargate makes more sense.

(*sips more coffee*)

As I'm getting a rotary cellphone, I amused my boredom from recent Covid-19 lockdown with imagining the gate as an old-school rotary phone. Each digit number with a different voltage level that goes into the dialing mechanism. And as Nikita Tesla (early scientist researching electricity and transmission of energy) shared as somewhat of an epitaph.. “If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.”.

Mmmm, guess the lost zodiac sign from ancient times (of which 22 were counted, not 12 as today) that I was born under may have unduly influenced my early development, setting me apart from the regular cola drinkers. I was born under the Lyre sign, which now more fully describes my hobbies. The lost zodiac sign that Richard Dean Anderson was born under is "The Eagle":. His sign among the ancient zodiac is Aquila, the Eagle. The symbol of the soaring intellect and of the spirit. At the funerals of the Caesars, during the might of Rome, a captive eagle was released into the sky. It symbolized the Emperor's soul.. free, at last, to join the gods. As an Aquila, no one can compete with you on a mental level, as the sheer speed of your thoughts leaves others standing. But you are also passionate and intense. And, if you are not careful, you can leave your real self and feelings far behind.

(perhaps that's enough coffee for today)
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

(っ◔◡◔)っ 💋 Figuring out the compatibility of a Sam/Jack relationship 💙
🐨🐺🐻🐼 ..am answering my own question, with the reliable science of an archaeologist. 🐼🐻🐺🐨

Sam as an individual> Sam is a natural leader, and her breadth of vision and wide-ranging interests make her an all rounder. She may delegate the minor chores details of existence easily to others, but she still respect her freedom, as she, too, needs her space.

Jack as an individual> No one can compete with Jack on a mental level, as the sheer speed of his thoughts leaves others standing. But Jack is also passionate and intense, and, if he is not careful, he can leave his real self and feelings far behind.

Their career compatibility: In career compatibility, Sam and Jack can be an odd couple. Sam wants to use her brain to communicate interesting ideas in service of humankind, and Jack is always pushing the boundary into the future, with his own set of humanitarian goals. But even though they share a few things, these two don't get along well enough to be truly compatible. Sam's pickiness may grate on Jack, just as Jack's need to be the smartest one in the room annoys Sam. Ultimately, both have a lot to offer working with other people who can see their true value.

Their love compatibility: When Sam and Jack join together in a love match, they bring out either the best or worst in one another. Sam has a more rigid, theory-oriented approach to life. The poetic Jack's approach, on the other hand, knows nothing of the scientific world. But these two lovers may actually thrive on their differences; they grow together as they learn about one another. Jack moves through life seeking pure spiritual enlightenment, while Sam is more intellectual. Sam seeks the ‘how’ and ‘why’ of a situation, while Jack simply focuses on what tickles his fancy, practical or not, and usually ask ‘what next. ’ At times each partner may find it difficult to understand the other’s perspective. Conflicts can arise in this relationship if Sam becomes obsessed with realizing the perfect relationship or Jack seems too aloof. Both partners must appreciate and respect one another’s view of the world, and see that they have a lot to learn from their partner. Jack can be unreasonable, opinionated and stubborn. Both partners are very passionate and intent when working toward their goals. Sam adapts well to any social situation. Sam is pleased to help Jack as long as their efforts are appreciated. Conflicts are rare, and are usually resolved by more Sam’s accommodating nature than by any concessions on Jack’s part. If the two understand they’re working together for a common goal, it’s much easier for them to reach it. Sam is more realistic than Jack and will be more willing to budge to avoid a heated fight. It’s that when they come together, their combined ambition drives them to do miraculous deeds. This relationship tends to be informative, enlightening and a pleasure to both participants.
Last edited by Salem Moses on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:05 am, edited 40 times in total.
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

KateR wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:46 pm ..(In much the same way that they regretted in later episodes that they had decided early on that the third shot from a zat would cause something to disintegrate.)
It is true that hindsight is 20/20.. but perhaps not in this case. If a person can be considered an electrical generator, and all matter is held together by electrical field charge.. Then maybe the 3rd shot from a zat gun would fall into the realm of spontaneous human combustion. Whereas not even the skeleton remains from the intensity of the flame whereas just a foot from the "explosive oxidation" (ie: fire), surviving body parts and flammable fabric from lower legs and plastic shoes remain untouched and intact. So it's plausible, that the writers unconsciously counted on the reverse of "life imitates art". Perhaps the StarGate Franchise writer who thought this up, was unconsciously smarter than they knew. :-)

(not going to link an image, for obvious reasons.. as it wouldn't match well with my tea)