Why does MacGyver have so many relationship problems?

CMac

Why does MacGyver have so many relationship problems?

Post by CMac »

This topic isn't really about his fear of commitment, although it certainly might explain it. :lol:

Why do you think MacGyver has so many problems with women, beyond the fact that female fans didn't want to see him with anyone? I mean, every woman he sees ends up being unbalanced, violent, or leaves him for some other pursuit. I guess the question would be why he keeps falling for this pattern of women? You would think that he would learn from his mistakes and find a more suitable partner. Then again, maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy for him: he's afraid of commitment, so he subconsciously chooses women who will prove him right - that commitment is something to fear.

What do you guys think?
tvero80

Re: Why does MacGyver have so many relationship problems?

Post by tvero80 »

I think the writers couldn't imagine a satisfactory story (or stories ) back then . We were in the 1980s. Most shows were about lone wolves. And since the female spectators were against Mac being in a relationship...why bother ? (Poor Nikki :cry: )
Nowadays ,it's different. You couldn't create a new show without a woman around...
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Well.... I think......... if they made a GOOD show with Rick as MacGyver it would still be hard, although they wanted it back then...:lol:

Although with Maria..
I quote:
MacGyver: Commitment. We were talkin' about it.
Maria Romburg: What about it?
MacGyver: Well, I'd like to talk some more about it.
Maria Romburg: We will, we will, as soon as I get back. Bye.
Lots of love,

Lies

tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

But she never came back! Thanks God (I didn't like Maria sorry ...)
The good point (?) is ...he'll be 'ours' forever ...
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

tvero80 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 pm But she never came back! Thanks God (I didn't like Maria sorry ...)
The good point (?) is ...he'll be 'ours' forever ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same for me... I'd rather saw him with Nicky then....But most of all, as the lonely free wolve he was..
He feels best with that I guess... And I can imagine, I mean, with al the respect in the world... We women aren't that easy. And we don't come with instructions...I had a very angry message a view days ago from a lonely wolve also.... Didn't do anything but I just was the lucky one.. You women are mindplayers, I really really hate that about you women..... Talked about it and he was so right, in my honest opinion, sometimes we can, and the women Mac had.....tjeezzz... ;)
Lots of love,

Lies

MacGyverGod

Post by MacGyverGod »

I think you need a relationship to have the problems. :P

I'm pretty sure the writers could come up with a decent storyline for MacGyver to be a relationship and all they had to do was drop one element: no woman who needs constant rescueing like Penny Parker.

Very early on we already meet a woman who might be perfect for him: Kate Connolly. Even though she did settle down shortly after they met and got married with a kid on the way.

There were plenty of other characters they could've suited him like yes, indeed: Nikki. Would be I think his perfect match. She's strong, assertive, not easily scared and I think if she had her chance she would be fully able to understand him and keep him in balance. They could've been a couple by the end of the third season and in full relationship in season 4.

In other characters I would think Deborah would've been a great match for him too, if she didn't want to kill him. She does pose as an understanding and open kind of woman. I think that's what MacGyver needs and I'm sure he found it more than once. Just a shame it never worked out.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
AmandaLee

Post by AmandaLee »

Aside from irate female fans, I think Mac never settled down for the same reasons RDA didn't. They both lived a hard, busy lifestyle with work and play that just never allowed much time for the attention a wife and family deserve. We see how RDA slowed down for Wylie, although he still never married, and I think that with Sam we could have seen the same thing from Mac. Sometimes fatherhood is a better tamer of the wild beast than any woman on earth. And honestly, who would have been happy with a tame and docile Mac?
--AmandaLee
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

No one....Mac needs his freedom... and he's quite tame from himself actually if he has his space... if you try to pin him down then you have a problem :P :lol: ...
Lots of love,

Lies

MacGyverGod

Post by MacGyverGod »

I would like to see someone trying to stop him from going a week into the mountains or to tell him to keep his shoes out of the couch while watching a western. :)
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
CMac

Post by CMac »

Exactly! :lol: I do love him as he is, both the character and the actor and I would never want to attempt to "change" him. Even if that meant, as a woman friend of his, that you couldn't spend as much time with him as you'd like, at least he'd be happier when he was with you because he got to do what he loved and what came naturally to his personality. :)