MacGyver Reboot is getting a 2nd season!?

joan1984

MacGyver Reboot is getting a 2nd season!?

Post by joan1984 »

Hi guys, it appears that the new MacGyver is getting a second season, even though their ratings are not as good as other new shows like BULL or TAKEN. It is not a bad show I just wish the producers would stop trying to convince us that the new MacGyver is Richard Dean Anderson's character from the original show. New fans see an updated character who looks cute, and yet I see non of the characteristics reminding me of Richard Dean Anderson's MacGyver which is very frustrating! :x Nothing happens to this new character because his "TEAM" is always getting him out of dangerous situations so there is no reason to care about him, and he too cocky. Richard Dean Anderson made you care about his character because he was not about ego and there were situations where he almost did not make it out alive.I think that is why fans stayed so loyal to the original MacGyver :D What do you guys think? 8-)
CMac

Re: MacGyver Reboot is getting a 2nd season!?

Post by CMac »

It should not have been given a second season in my opinion, but of course I'm biased. ;) This sounds cruel, but I was kind of hoping it would be canceled by now.

It irritates me in general how many shows these days are "team" oriented. I attempted to watch a Scorpion episode yesterday, and I'm sorry if anyone out there likes it, but come on - it takes a whole team with computers to solve a problem these days? Whatever happened to a little self-reliance and creativity? That's what's missing from this "current" Mac- no improvisation, just a bunch of techno whizzes running algorithms to see which option is the best, not to mention how atrocious the dialogue is in most of these shows.

There's nothing wrong with a "team" show if it's done properly and gives each character equal amounts of depth and development - Stargate: SG-1 comes to mind for me, of course. But, that isn't the case with most of these shows. They seem cluttered and chaotic.

So, no thanks - not even a season renewal of this show can convince me that I should be watching it. I'll stick to the real MacGyver. :)
nicolemj@otenet.gr

Post by nicolemj@otenet.gr »

I will agree with everything mentioned above. Nothing like the real MacGyver, the one and only Richard Dean Anderson. So, no matter how many season renewal they may take, which I doubt if there will be a third one, they are not going to convince us that they have succeeded. On the contrary, it is a total failure. It has destroyed all the great ideas and values that the original MacGyver stands for. And that's why he remains to our days a great role model and an icon to many people around the world.
BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB »

It irritates me in general how many shows these days are "team" oriented. I attempted to watch a Scorpion episode yesterday, and I'm sorry if anyone out there likes it, but come on - it takes a whole team with computers to solve a problem these days? Whatever happened to a little self-reliance and creativity? That's what's missing from this "current" Mac- no improvisation, just a bunch of techno whizzes running algorithms to see which option is the best, not to mention how atrocious the dialogue is in most of these shows.
CMac, that's very true. To me, the only thing the reboot shares with our MacGyver is the names of the characters. They changed everything else, and not for the better. I'm so glad that RDA doesn't want anything to do with it.

When Scorpion started out, they were a group of geniuses who had a lot of trouble relating to people. They had all had difficult childhoods and made a new family with each other. I didn't mind that they were a team, and they often used their creativity the way MacGyver did. But this year, the (can't use this word on a family-friendly board) writers turned it more into a soap opera and completely changed the dynamics of the show. :(

Barbara
Barbara
CMac

Post by CMac »

So that's what's wrong with that show (Scorpion). Thank you for articulating what I felt was wrong with it. You're right - maybe if I went back and watched earlier seasons of it, I might (somewhat) like it. I just don't like other characters stealing Mac's thunder, I guess. I like him to be the only one who comes up with creative, science-based solutions to problems. I know that's selfish I suppose, but I like to keep him unique in my mind. I guess that's why a show like Scorpion also doesn't quite work for me.

It does seem like CBS turns all their shows, even if they start out with a great premise, into soap operas, as you said. I guess that's why I don't watch that network (or a lot of modern TV in general). This imitation MacGyver suffers from the same thing - too many characters, and too much soap opera drama.
CMac

Post by CMac »

Believe me, there is no negativity here beyond my response to this topic, since it asked for my opinion. Honestly, beyond the discussion here I rarely think of the new show. I just wish RDA could reprise his role as an older MacGyver. Raymond Burr came back years later as Perry Mason in several TV movies and it worked. Why not? It would be RDA's decision of course, but when one actor is associated with an iconic role/character like that, most people embrace a comeback.
BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB »

So that's what's wrong with that show (Scorpion). Thank you for articulating what I felt was wrong with it. You're right - maybe if I went back and watched earlier seasons of it, I might (somewhat) like it. I just don't like other characters stealing Mac's thunder, I guess. I like him to be the only one who comes up with creative, science-based solutions to problems. I know that's selfish I suppose, but I like to keep him unique in my mind. I guess that's why a show like Scorpion also doesn't quite work for me.
Season 1 and most of Season 2 of Scorpion were wonderful. In fact, one reason I liked it so much was that their love of science reminded me of MacGyver. Also, they were willing to risk their lives to help people who were in trouble. Of course, it did take the whole team to pull off a MacGyver! ;)

Barbara
Barbara
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

I'm new to this on here. But me personally, I don't think the new show is all that bad. When there is a reboot it isn't going to be 💯 spot on like the original one.
This definitely will Not take the place of original Macgyver or RDA's place. I still watch the original Ione to this day Mondays thru Fridays.
Last edited by Brooke on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Brooke~ 🐰
LisaAnn65

Post by LisaAnn65 »

Brooke wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:49 am I'm new to this on here. But me personally, I don't think the new show is all that bad. When there is a reboot it isn't going to be 💯 spot on like the original one.
This definitely will Not take the place of original Macgyver or RDA's place. I still watch the original Ione to this day Mondays thru Fridays.

~Brooke~ :)
Hi Brooke, Welcome aboard! I'm new here too. Agreed about reboots. Especially of older shows. I tried watching the new MacGyver a couple times and just can't get into it. I don't think it's so much because it's different but the cast is so young ,,, and I'm so old lol Otherwise it's great to keep the MacGyver name out there. I bet a ton of young viewers now, because of it find the original I too am watching the original weekdays. I really like the new Lethal Weapon series, the actors are past their 20's and it's more serious.
One never knows till one tries
CMac

Post by CMac »

What I do like about this so-called "new" MacGyver is that yes, at least it's bringing attention back to the original (and superior) series. I wonder if renewed interest in all things MacGyver is what got the original series running again on MeTV.

I also like it when I hear from younger people (usually kids in their teens) who like and prefer the original show to the new one. That gives me hope for the future! :)