What makes MacGyver so likable?

CMac

What makes MacGyver so likable?

Post by CMac »

I was pondering this today...

What do you think makes MacGyver such an appealing, likable character (besides his good looks :oops:)? I think his likability has a lot to do with how RDA portrayed him of course, and his interpretation of the character. If you think about it, he was given basically a blank slate to work with. The MacGyver character is a basic concept--a highly intelligent man, possibly a genius, who can manufacture creative solutions for any problem. If any other actor had played him, the MacGyver character ran the risk of becoming an arrogant "know-it-all" because of his intellectual gifts, kind of like a serious Sheldon (a character on The Big Bang Theory). What you have instead with RDA's portrayal of him is someone who is aware of his superior intelligence but is humbled and almost somewhat embarrassed by it and the attention he receives because of it. With RDA's Mac, you have someone not only with a high IQ but a high EQ (or emotional intelligence) as well. Yes, there are times he feels awkward in social situations, but for the most part he is kind and can relate well to others. He doesn't use his genius as an excuse to feel superior to others or separate himself from the rest of humanity. As he says to the villainous Debra in The Negotiator, "I believe we're all in this together." RDA makes MacGyver not only likable, but genuine. I could go on about how this "new" MacGyver miscalculated in his portrayal and does make MacGyver into an arrogant "know-it-all," but we've already discussed that in the reboot thread. I guess my point is that in the hands of any other actor MacGyver could have been irritating, but RDA turned him into a human being instead of a super human being despite his extraordinary gifts, and for that we can always be grateful. :D
nicolemj@otenet.gr

Re: What makes MacGyver so likable?

Post by nicolemj@otenet.gr »

You couldn't have said it any better CMac. I totally agree with everything you said. RDA as Mac, was a real human being, in every sense of the word. He had a great humanity in his heart, and he never bragged about anything. On the contrary, he was down to earth, shy most of the times, and very humble, and always willing to help others. And I think, all these ingredients of his character, made him even more attractive and adorable to the people.
yolie

Post by yolie »

So nicely put on why Rick played Mac's character in the series. He is one in a million and no other can
replace him in that role. Tha's why the series has lasted so long and still seen around the world. Thanks
for sharing your thoughts CMac on Rick's Mac character. He was so humble when he got the part of MacGyver.
And the producers saw this right away when he read for the part of Mac. He asked to read the script with his
glasses on. Right then they knew he was their man to play that role. Pure modesty and genuine. :) :) :) :)
EMTP513

Post by EMTP513 »

People will probably think my reason's silly but I liked that MacGyver was a Vietnam veteran. In the 80's being in that war made you instant enemies with most people but people in my family were (my uncle was on a Navy ship off the coast of Vietnam) and a Vietnam Veteran (who became a Guidance Counselor of my school) gave me chances when other people gave me up as a lost cause. My childhood was difficult. I was placed in foster care and adopted. So when I saw the episode where they say MacGyver was a Vietnam veteran I started liking him more. Also I lived with a scientist at the time, who told me all the stuff they showed on that show was accurate, just that "you wouldn't be likely to always find all the ingredients in every situation just lying around by chance." This guy had a Ph.D in Chemistry and did his doctoral thesis about photons, energy that comes from the sun. I've always had a thing about enjoying accurate books & movies so I liked the show better when I found out it was realistic. The same guy said Jurassic Park's premise WASN'T possible because when "they unfroze the amber the dinosaur DNA had been captured in, it would have fallen apart and not been able to create a whole park of the reptiles." He still liked the movie though.
He worked with DNA structure so I know he knew what he was talking about.
MacGyverGod

Post by MacGyverGod »

I think MacGyver pretty much relates to everyone. He's genuine, curious, a little shy, smart, humble... But I think the character's point is trying to show that we can all be like him in each our own way.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.