Chat Room

KateR
Site Admin

Chat Room

Post by KateR »

There has been a chat room on this site for many years (the "Live Chat" button at the top of the homepage).

It's been running a free application from Bravenet, which relies on an older version of Java, and as a result, many people have been having trouble getting into it. In the last couple of months, the numbers have dwindled to a fairly small little gathering on Saturday nights, twice a month.

I have been trying to find an improved chat room, but I had no luck finding something that would work on its own. Most chat rooms must be opened by an administrator, and when the administrator leaves, the chat room closes.

Today I may have found a possible solution. It's a phpChat, and it does seem to work, but I don't know a lot about php coding, and so I'm not really sure how to get it to do exactly what I want. I think I finally managed to get it to ask you to type in a nickname, rather than just assigning you a "guest" name. But I haven't figured out how to get it to clear the memory, so it seems when you log in, you see anything that was typed before. And I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem to ask me for an admin login, so I'm not sure how secure it is.

In any case, I'd like to get input from others who might be interested in chatting.

We normally have chats at 10pm Eastern US time on the first and third Saturdays of the month. Which mean we have another one tonight. (I know that's not a convenient time for Europe, but if I can get this thing working, other chat times can be set up.)

The chat room is here: http://rdanderson.com/phpchat

Anyone who would like to try it out on your own, or join us this evening, feel free. And anyone who knows how to customize these things, I'd love to hear from you! Maybe a solution is on the horizon!

Kate
eurmos

Re: Chat Room

Post by eurmos »

What time zone are you using for the 10 o'clock start time. I am in Ohio and am on eastern time.
Beth
eurmos

Post by eurmos »

Never mind my previous question. I saw the answer in your post after rereading it. Thank you for changing the chat room as I was unable to access the old one.
Beth
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Just been there!! Works for me..can't wait to meet you all and when I don't have to work in a weekend it's okay for me to set the alarm wouldn't want to miss it it works perfect Kate!!! THANK YOU💟
Lots of love,

Lies

JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

Works great.........But for me no option,I am unfortunately a sleepyhead.........I need my beauty sleep :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I would like to wish all the participants a lot of fun.

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
eurmos

Post by eurmos »

Kate,
FYI--I just opened the chat room to check on what we were discussing last night about the window clearing and the last part of our conversation is still visible even though everyone that was there had quit. I'm going to play around a little and if I figure out a way to clear it I will let you know.
Beth
Beth
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

eurmos wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:42 pm Kate,
FYI--I just opened the chat room to check on what we were discussing last night about the window clearing and the last part of our conversation is still visible even though everyone that was there had quit. I'm going to play around a little and if I figure out a way to clear it I will let you know.
Beth
Thanks, Beth. I think I'm figuring out how to change the parameters and rehash the chat. I'll play around with it a bit more today and I might finally be able to use this chat room to replace the old one.

Thanks to the people who came last night to try it out. I'll use your input to "fix" things like the nicknames, sound effects, clear history, and admin. It does seem to be a better option than the previous room, though.

Once it seems to be usable for more people, we can talk about setting up chat times that are more reasonable for other time zones. :)

Kate
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

I never used your "chat room" but, of course, it would be a good thing to try it out.

Unfortunately, in France, it's impossible at the moment, because, 22:00 in New York, is 4:00 in France :(

But, if you change the time zones (per example : 17:00 or 13:00 in New York , it will be 23:00 or 19:00 in France)

Of course, personnaly, I don't know if I would be able to speak English with you... I'm so nil in English... :lol:

But... with the time... ;)
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

frenchwriter wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:21 pm I never used your "chat room" but, of course, it would be a good thing to try it out.

Unfortunately, in France, it's impossible at the moment, because, 22:00 in New York, is 4:00 in France :(

But, if you change the time zones (per example : 17:00 or 13:00 in New York , it will be 23:00 or 19:00 in France)

Of course, personnaly, I don't know if I would be able to speak English with you... I'm so nil in English... :lol:

But... with the time... ;)
When I first joined the forum there were two chats - this one and another "European" chat at a different date and time. Perhaps this can set up again if this new chat program works.
If you can't say anything nice.....

Caty

Post by Caty »

I remember the old chat, but I joined maybe once or twice, because of the different time zones.
But I would love to talk to you. Can't wait for the next chat time.
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)