MacGyver Reboot

Caty

Re: MacGyver Reboot

Post by Caty »

I don't need to mention that I was grinning like an idiot the whole day long :lol: :lol:
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
CMac

Post by CMac »

I don't blame you. I would be, too. ;)
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

CMac wrote:Agreed. There have been discussions elsewhere about this "new" MacGyver being cocky, and the argument I have seen from those defending the reboot goes something like this: "Well, RDA's Mac was cocky in the first season, too." Really? I didn't really see that--more like confidence. There is a fine line between being confident and cocky, and if RDA seems "cocky" in the first season, I think it's because he's being playful and humorous and as one writer from the original show pointed out recently on the MacGyver Project blog, he felt that was RDA's way of learning his character and being an actor.

Now, maybe this new guy is also learning about his character too, but from what I have seen so far there is none of the humor or humility that RDA projected--while also displaying confidence and strength. That is a difficult balance, and a difficult thing for an actor to portray adequately, yet RDA did it so brilliantly. :D I think it's as Henry Winkler once said--RDA has a screen presence that shows vulnerability. He is likable--people respect him. I have never heard from a guy one negative (or jealous ;) ) word about him. All the guys I know respect him and looked up to the character of MacGyver. I don't think anyone could look up to this new guy's character. He just doesn't have the same nuances, the same fun quirks, as RDA's MacGyver had. He made Mac a three-dimensional character. The jury is still out if these new folks working on the reboot can do the same.
Thanks for putting in words right what I feel about this!
I think people like the thought of being rescued by MacGyver themselves, because he makes people feel worthy, individual, important. Because he is able to move out of the focus himself. That was very special about this show, and is special about RDA, what I learnt.
Perhaps it is too much to expect a "normal" actor in a "normal" reboot to behave in a similar way... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hope I could express what I mean :? :?: :oops: :P :P
P
CMac

Post by CMac »

Here is a new review of the reboot from Variety, well worth the read if you're interested:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/reviews/leth ... 201860866/

They mention the Lethal Weapon reboot too, so you can skip that part if you want. I liked the original Lethal Weapon movie, so I read that part, too. Basically the author has the same misgivings we all have about the MacGyver reboot and confirms them. The series is not quality. I don't think RDA should change ever change his mind about not being involved, because every project he has attached himself to has been quality, and this isn't it. :roll:

Read on and tell me what you think! :)
Caty

Post by Caty »

That's exactly my feeling!
Okay, I saw only the trailer, but honestly, who wants to see anything more? Image
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

My favorite part of the article:

"but there’s no getting around the fact that the new version of the character has very little appeal, and certainly won’t put the memory of Richard Dean Anderson, who originated the role, out of anyone’s mind."
If you can't say anything nice.....

CMac

Post by CMac »

Exactly! That was my favorite part, too! :)
nicolemj@otenet.gr

Post by nicolemj@otenet.gr »

I agree with Pam and CMac. That was my favorite part of the article too. That's very true. Nobody will ever take Richard's place as MacGyver. We will forever treasure him in our hearts and minds as the unique and very special man, our hero.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Macphoenix wrote:Article nice with one my trailer :D :D

http://big955chicago.iheart.com/onair/s ... -15125413/

Cy.
Wow. I can't see the "New MacGyver" trailer (I have to sign in), but I've seen other promotional trailers for the new series. And Cyril, YOU have captured what the REAL MacGyver is all about - his humanity. The heart of MacGyver is not a Swiss Army knife and a cocky team that blows things up. It is character.

I will watch the new show tomorrow. It may even be good enough to capture a new young audience. But it's not MacGyver.

I haven't watched my MacGyver DVDs in a very long time. I think this new series will make me want to go back and appreciate the original instead. With any luck it will make kids curious enough to go back and check it out too.

Thanks, Cy!

Kate