Screencapping and image tips

Anne

Re: Screencapping and image tips

Post by Anne »

marthig wrote: Maybe, as you suspect, it's that the quality of the originals is not too good. I have that problem with most of MacGyver movies. I know they are copies -bad ones at that- and have to work on them a lot in Photoshop but can't really improve them.

The size I sometimes increase it by changing the resolution, from 72 to 144 and sometimes to 288. What I get usually is bigger pixellation :(

Good luck ! Image
Yeah, that's what I get too. Bigger pixalation, lol. I have the newest version of VLC and checked my settings and they match yours. My DVDs aren't even copies, they are the original SG-1 DVDs. But, yeah, even there the quality isn't actually brilliant. When you watch them on a real big screen you can see that. They are still better than my (original) Mac DVDs though, lol.

Thank you for your help!
marthig

Post by marthig »

Anne wrote:
marthig wrote: Maybe, as you suspect, it...
Yeah, that's what I get too. Bigger pixalation, lol. I have the newest version of VLC and checked my settings and they match yours. My DVDs aren't even copies, they are the original SG-1 DVDs. But, yeah, even there the quality isn't actually brilliant. When you watch them on a real big screen you can see that. They are still better than my (original) Mac DVDs though, lol.

Thank you for your help!
You are welcome Anne, sorry the problem appears to be "unsolvable" :( Image
Simply Martha :D
All images are Copyright of KateR except the one on the left corner
which was posted by Yalisa.
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

There's also the old standby: google a short description of your problem and see what others might have had to say about it. There are hundreds of forums on the net, and somewhere out there, I bet there are discussion on getting the best results out of any given software.

Honestly, I basically lucked out: the WinDVD program was the first one I ever bought, and it allows an initial save in .bmp format. It doesn't give me control over resolution, but it does save at 96 dpi, which is better than the 72 that other programs seem to deliver. I've kept it going since then, and as a result I don't know much about any other capping programs.

I remember chatting with one person who literally played her DVDs directly to the computer's media center on a Macbook, and capped them as ordinary screen captures. She got very good results.

I'd love to hear what other people are using for capping software! My old WinDVD is not compatible with Windows 7, so I've been keeping an old Windows XP netbook running for that purpose. I tried a year ago to find a better alternative (preferably something that would do timed caps), and it was a bust.
Mac/Jack#1fan

Post by Mac/Jack#1fan »

MacBeth wrote:I'd love to hear what other people are using for capping software!
I'm like... REALLY NEW to screencapping lol.

I use the DVD player that came installed on my laptop "CyberLink Power DVD 10" and I seem to get great results.
Anne wrote:I've seen some pretty cool screen shots in the Thunk Thread which are BIG as well. are those Blue Ray caps?
I've posted my own screencaps in the "Guess the screencap" thread and they are big lol. I don't ever do anything to mine, like I never adjust their size or anything, mine are just big!

Oh do I WISH I Mac would be released on Blu Ray so I could get Blu Ray caps. They need to re-master MacGyver and make the picture clearer, that would be awesome. Make Mac in HD! I'm up for that :D Not that I'm complaining... but I would like to watch Mac with crisper picture and HD audio would be pretty amazing too :D
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

Mac/Jack#1fan wrote:I use the DVD player that came installed on my laptop "CyberLink Power DVD 10" and I seem to get great results.
Cool! Why don't you try that one, Anne? You should be able to download a free trial version, which will at least give you a chance to find out if it can get you better caps.
Anne

Post by Anne »

YES! I was just reading it and thinking that a) I might have Power DVD as well somewhere on my computer (I used to have it with the older Windows) and b) that if it does such cool caps, I will hunt it down!

Thank you, Mac/Jack#1fan, for the suggestion :)
MacBeth

Post by MacBeth »

Be sure to let us know how it works, Anne! You do such lovely work, it's a shame that you don't have better caps for it.
Anne

Post by Anne »

I will. Didn't get around to find my Power DVD today, but maybe I'll try over the weekend. I am done with my project and got it done without using screencaps, but since I want to cap Mac episodes as well, I will try to figure this out.

Thank you for saying you like my work. That's so nice of you, Beth. :D
Mac/Jack#1fan

Post by Mac/Jack#1fan »

Anne wrote:Thank you, Mac/Jack#1fan, for the suggestion :)

You're welcome :) Like I said before, I'm REALLY new at screencapping, so I can only hope my suggestion will work for you. PowerDVD seems to be a great program, so I can't see why it wouldn't work for you. You should be able to get nice, big, full screen shots with it :) I have my fingers crossed for ya :)
Anne

Post by Anne »

Mac/Jack#1fan wrote: I use the DVD player that came installed on my laptop "CyberLink Power DVD 10" and I seem to get great results.
Hey, Mac/Jack#1fan - I downloaded Power DVD 14 to my computer yesterday and have a free trial version now for 30 days. Can you give me quick directions on how to do screencaps? I don't seem to find that option... and I tried to find it. :oops: However, I didn't have much time to read instructions/tutorials etc. so far. IF you have a quick answer on 'how to', I'd be grateful :)

Hugs,
Anne