Reboot - for whom?

Lucie

Reboot - for whom?

Post by Lucie »

Hi, I'm new here. It isn't a hot new toppic but I would like to respond to Macgyver reboot. When we pass over a new actor I'm embarrassed for whom the reboot is... Whole draft of Mac should stay in the 80's. There is a place for him there we love him. When they change a philosophy and "new Mac" will start to use modern technology - how it will differ from (for example) movies about Tony Stark and his hi-tech things? Nothing against Ironman.. And if he will not use technology - what a young generation will think about him? Why this freak doesn't buy a smartphone?
One case for all.
I went by car two years ago and a tube of a cooler cracked. I stopped at a gas station and repaired it with a tape and a wire. :-) Then I did another 100 kilometres. I was proud of myself (I create and make cakes, not repair cars.) When I came home and spoke about it, my 10 years old nephew said: So what? Why you didn't call an assistance servise?
So, my and older generation will never accept new concept and primaly - new actor.
Young generation will never understand the old concept.
If they change concept - why it should be called Macgyver?
For whom it is?
They should rather choose an actress and call it " New adventures of Mac's daughter" :-)
Please, let MacGyver sleep in the 80's.
For me Mac always be a nice memory of my school years when I was trying to catch earlier bus home to watch another Mac's adventure..
Sorry for grammar mistakes. L.
CMac

Re: Reboot - for whom?

Post by CMac »

Hi Lucie, welcome to the forum! I am new here myself, so I will try to make you feel at home. :)

I think you'll find that the general consensus on this board is that most of us can't stand the idea of a new MacGyver, mostly for the same reasons but chief among them being that we do not want anyone replacing RDA as Mac, end of story! :x

But yes, back to your point...RDA has also mentioned that with technology being as advanced as it is today, there would be little room for a character such as Mac in our modern world, which is a shame since it seems people would rather rely on the latest gadget to do the work for them rather than use common sense or creativity to solve a problem. A character as unique as MacGyver would seem like a throwback in today's society, but it would be an interesting approach--but only if they used RDA in some capacity.

I mentioned in a different post how MacGyver would work well in a world that had been thrown into chaos from an EMP attack (an attack that would wipe out modern technology), because he would have the survival skills that many people have now lost to help the world with this problem. Another way "modern Mac" might work is in the case of the terrorist's iPhone an anonymous person hacked into at the FBI to obtain information. MacGyver could easily figure out how to hack an iPhone, and I would love nothing more than to see him dismantle one!

I guess I'm a throwback too, because I am one of the younger people here and I don't care much for too many gadgets and technology. It seems now we're overdoing it. MacGyver is refreshing to watch because he is "low tech." Sadly, I'm not sure how he fits into today's world. :(

I don't know if I made any sense :lol: , but yes--let's keep Mac in the 80s where he belongs! It's a cherished show that should not be tampered with in any fashion! :x
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Welcome Lucie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a story about the car, you did great!!!!!!
And about mac's daughter:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I volunteer, I volunteer!!!!!!!!! Please *waving, jumping*

Richard is the best MacGyver there ever was...... He can't be replaced........
But what I really really do hope is, mentioned it earlier on another topic, that the thoughts MacGyver had about humanity, caring, animals, respect, talking instead of shooting, no violence, staying positive, listening, and I could go on and on and on, will be brought above again..MacGyverisms, we can use them when the smartphone gives up, again :lol: must say I often think: cmon what would Mac do, around the house, and it helps figuring thinks out, but I do think the world needs Macthoughts, continuously, if I may say so....... But again, Rick was the best, because it was so close to his heart....
Lots of love,

Lies

CMac

Post by CMac »

That's funny--when I was a kid, I used to pretend I was MacGyver's daughter (I have the blond hair, after all ;) ). I would try to figure out creative solutions to problems, and sometimes they worked! :D To this day, I still approach the world with a "what would MacGyver do?" attitude. :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like many kids today use their imaginations as often as we did. Sadly, that seems to be one of the drawbacks of too much tech. :(

On another note--now that I'm closer to Mac's age in the series, I prefer to pretend now that I'm his lover. :oops: Sorry if that's too much information, but come on, let's be honest--who hasn't had that fantasy? :oops:
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

We all want to be the girls lying in Mac's arms, I know that ...I mean I am Mac's age now also..middle thirties isn't old right???.. :lol: :lol: Sometimes I wish I was older, I mean our single family members around 60 they have a chance, I can only dream, could be his daughter also...wrote a piece of script yesterday but was to embarrassed to share but cracked....Dad Mac imagined a bit grumpy like Harry could be daughter happy and full of life like he was back in the old days.. :lol:
Lots of love,

Lies

Lucie

Post by Lucie »

I know that RDA was speaking about issues Macgyver x new tech age at London Film and Comic Con last year. I arrived later but I heard the most of his speech. I have recalled it when they have chosen a new actor.
Btw. Thanks CMac. I'm feeling here very comfortable. Join this forum was a good desicion. I don' t know many people with same 'interest'. ;) It was so kind and easy to spoke with one lady while waiting for RDA photoshoot at LFCC. I don' t know her name but she's from Bristol. No justificaction or explaining why I desided to travel to London..Just nice conversation about her new born grandson, my homeland and of course about Mr. Anderson.
Hereby I wanted to say: Nice to meet you, all!! :P L.
Anja

Post by Anja »

I'm almost RDA's age but when I watched MacGyver it was 10 years after it firstly had aired. I like it still today but I don't think I belong to the target group they had had in mind when MacGyver had been produced. Our MacGyver was and is RDA.
If MacGyver is rebooted they will have their reasons, whoever "they" are. There is a new concept, there is new target group and - most importantly - nobody must watch it if s/he doesn't want to. My point is if sb thinks money could be made by trying let him/her/them do so - that is the principle of trial and error. There is no use in crying over their plans - we cannot stop them.
All the women of this forum will remember RDA as MacGyver - nobody can take these memories away from us.
ANJA
CARPE DIEM Image
Bompa

Post by Bompa »

Anja wrote: All the women of this forum will remember RDA as MacGyver - nobody can take these memories away from us.
Wait, what? Is this a women-only forum then? :o :shock:
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Bompa wrote:
Anja wrote: All the women of this forum will remember RDA as MacGyver - nobody can take these memories away from us.
No, don't worry, there are men around but the women are in, shall I say, small majority???? ;)
Lots of love,

Lies

tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Annelies wrote:
Bompa wrote:
No, don't worry, there are men around but the women are in, shall I say, small majority???? ;)
Don't go away, Bompa please ...we are here to share a 'common interest' (and 'sexes' either male or female don't matter ).