ebineez01

Re: Your MacGyver story

Post by ebineez01 »

:lol: cool story and fantastic box of self help goodies :D
Ebi
Captainvale

Post by Captainvale »

A recent guidepost mag had article by top avoan vet at pittsburgh zoo...a very pretty young lady....she was explaining how she jury rigged fixes for different birds and the words " to macgyver" came to mind!! She is just like that...
Allusion

Post by Allusion »

What a great topic! I hope more people start posting to this again. I wish I could have read some of the other old stories...

Thanks KateR for reposting your story!

As for me, I never thought of exactly how much MacGyver has influenced me until more recently. Growing up, my mom just always said I looked at things a little differently... and then shook her head at the solutions I came up with! The solutions I do come up with didn't start getting the MacGyver moniker until about 15 years ago....

I worked in an office environment, so no access to normal things a nurse would have access to in a hospital. A coworker had tripped and fallen and thought she had broken her thumb. Thumbs can't really be buddy taped, so I wanted her to have a temporary splint for it until she could get an x-ray.

Surgical tape is the medical equivalent of duct tape, BTW. :lol: (Also I highly recommend everyone have a pair of hemostats but that's a different story...)

I grabbed the unused plastic knife from my lunchbox, broke it in half, wrapped and covered the sharp ends and cutting side in gauze and medical tape so it was padded, splinted her thumb with the 2 splint/knife pieces and taped. One thumb splint inspired by a little out of the box MacGyver thinking.

That was the first time they called me nurse MacGyver. :D Not as an impressive story as some others may have.
May your Blessings outnumber the Shamrocks that grow...
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

WHAT???????????????? You bet it is, a Great story Allusion!!! :lol:
Lots of love,

Lies

Cindy61

Post by Cindy61 »

Great story Allusion! thanks for sharing.. ;) :D
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

YES!!!!!! Mac is still alive under our younger ones!!!
One of the girls in the shelter came to me this evening...Asked me if I had Duct Tape...Asked her why and she mentioned she made hooks to hang at her door only they weren't tight enough.. Walked with her and showed me and proudly said: I've MacGyverd it but it isn't tight enough. . She bented 2 bars of steel so they fitted the thickness of the door and hang 2 belts on it where she could put things on... I cracked when I heard her say I MacGyverd it.... Promised her I would take the Duct Tape tomorrow....Am so proud of what RDA has given with MacGyver ....Priceless and Timeless in my opinion ;) Nothing to be ashamed of Rick, you are the best!
Lots of love,

Lies

Allusion

Post by Allusion »

Great Lies! Happy to hear another generation hasn't lost their MacGyver problem solving skills!
8-)
May your Blessings outnumber the Shamrocks that grow...
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Guess what??? Went to work after holiday today and met a new boy.. the girl wich I mentioned earlier who barrowed duct tape grabbed my arm; "I missed you and you just need to see this!". Show her your glasses, she demanded him... his glasses were broken, the feets (if I say that correctly) completely broke off at both sides so he used a shoelace to connect both sides of his glasses and wore it like swimming goggles. Gave him a compliment.. Later he sat in the office with my colleague wearing it and I called him MacGyver.. He gave me a fist bump "Yeah, MacGyver, now you are talking, you are a girl to my heart" he was truly proud :D mentioned it to others to, "she called me MacGyver how cool is that?" Wow, again sooooo proud of our man :D
Last edited by Annelies on Tue May 03, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of love,

Lies

CMac

Post by CMac »

This isn't related to me, but a local race car driver of ours patched up his banged-up car using several rolls of duct tape so that he could re-enter the race! I kept waiting for the newscasters to make a MacGyver reference, but of course they never did. :x Since RDA used to race cars, I wonder if he ever thought of doing that. It would have made a terrific plug for his show! :lol:
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

There really isn't a logical place to put this, but I guess it's as much a "MacGyver Story" as anything...

I recently got back from my vacation, cruising down the Rhine River (had a fabulous time, ate too much...). The cruise started in Amsterdam, and I had a couple of extra days to explore there, so one of the first stops was the Anne Frank house, to see if there was any possible way to get a ticket since the online tickets sell out instantly. The line for tickets was about four hours long and wrapped around the block, so my friend and I opted to try again another time, but as we were standing there in the square around the Westerkerk that the line wrapped around, I noticed a building with intriguing flower boxes:

I took a picture and sent it to RDA, explaining that I was standing in a long line for the Anne Frank house and that the line goes in front of this building. I think he was a little confused by my text at first, because he texted back, "That is NOT the Frank house, right? I pray not!!"

I wrote back to reassure him that it was just around the corner from the Anne Frank house, and that the line just meanders in front of it. He texted back, "Sigh of relief!"

LOL!

I asked a tour guide about it later, and she said she didn't know the story behind it, but that it has been that way for years. It seems it's some sort of production company (I don't know if they have permission to use the MacGyver name - clearly it is the same font and everything), but it looks just like someone's house from the outside. At first I thought it was just the home of one very enthusiastic fan. :D It certainly wasn't something I was expecting to find on an outing in Amsterdam! :lol:

Kate