Legend Blog

ebineez01

Re: Legend Blog

Post by ebineez01 »

I gotta say, I really liked the Custer episode - much humour that made me laugh :lol:
Oh, one other little detail that jumped out at me, when Legend promises three shows to Standing Beaver, he holds up three fingers, but unlike Beaver (and most people, I suppose), rather than holding up the three middle fingers, he holds up the first two fingers and thumb. Maybe RDA has always done that - I never noticed - but it's the way you would properly say "three" in sign language, and I wondered if he knew that. :)
I thought that was a good question Kate and wondered the same thing myself after you mentioned it here. Then I remembered while watching a YouTube video that he would have dated Marlee Matlin by that stage so I was thinking there's a pretty good chance that he did know.
Ebi
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

ebineez01 wrote:I thought that was a good question Kate and wondered the same thing myself after you mentioned it here. Then I remembered while watching a YouTube video that he would have dated Marlee Matlin by that stage so I was thinking there's a pretty good chance that he did know.
I did think of that, of course, but he dated Marlee for only a year or so about 8 years before, and though he was trying to pick up a bit of sign language at the time, I don't know that it would have become habit. After years of teaching deaf kids, I gesture "three" like that automatically, but I've never noticed if it was a regular thing with him. There's a question for someone at a convention - ask him to hold up three fingers and see what he does. ;)

(Incidentally, he also has a gesture he uses frequently that means "vagina" in sign language, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he doesn't realize that. :lol:)

Anyway, it was just a quirky observation on my part. :)

Kate
ebineez01

Post by ebineez01 »

I'll try to remember to ask the first one if I ever get the chance :)
Ah, and the second one made me :lol: - won't be asking him that one though ;)
Ebi
Caty

Post by Caty »

ebineez01 wrote:I gotta say, I really liked the Custer episode - much humour that made me laugh :lol:
Oh, one other little detail that jumped out at me, when Legend promises three shows to Standing Beaver, he holds up three fingers, but unlike Beaver (and most people, I suppose), rather than holding up the three middle fingers, he holds up the first two fingers and thumb. Maybe RDA has always done that - I never noticed - but it's the way you would properly say "three" in sign language, and I wondered if he knew that. :)
I thought that was a good question Kate and wondered the same thing myself after you mentioned it here. Then I remembered while watching a YouTube video that he would have dated Marlee Matlin by that stage so I was thinking there's a pretty good chance that he did know.
It never came to me, that it's not usual to hold up the thumb and first two fingers, to mean three. For me it's unusual to use the three middle fingers to do this. :?
I would like to knew, how other people do this?
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

ebineez01 wrote:I'll try to remember to ask the first one if I ever get the chance :)
Ah, and the second one made me :lol: - won't be asking him that one though ;)

Difficult to get in the conversation, specially if it's your first meeting :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caty

Post by Caty »

I just remembered when he holds up his three middle fingers when he said to Kinsey "O'Neill, with two l's" :lol: :lol:

So, counting was not his strength :lol: :lol: ??
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
themacgyverproject

Post by themacgyverproject »

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

themacgyverproject wrote:Here's my review of Episode 5!
http://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/ ... -wild.html
Dang, you're ahead of me this week. But I hope to get mine up by tomorrow! In the meantime...

I agree with you that I enjoyed this one more than #2, 3, and even 4. It had some entertaining scenes and clever dialogue, but most of all I loved how closely it stuck to real history. (You mentioned the Dead Man's Hand, and they also kept true to the date, place, name of the saloon, and why it was unusual for Hickok to sit with his back to the door.) The thing that apparently isn't based on history is that Hickok and McCall didn't seem to have a running relationship, but they needed to include that in the story so that there was a logical threat and reason for Legend and Bartok to concoct their surprise ending. And that was what clinched it for me. The first time I saw it, I was so drawn in to the murder scene, because it's such an iconic moment, that I was startled by the final scene. Not wanting to give away too many spoilers, but the "body barricade" has such a small mention in the episode that I didn't really see that coming. And I love stories with twists on history. :)
Highlight:
I enjoyed the opening with the small Bartok spy balloon hovering around town (I love the face the little kid makes upon seeing it), and then there's a good scene as Legend's poker opponent accuses him of cheating after spotting and shooting at Bartok's balloon, only to have Hickok come to the rescue at the last minute. And it's fun to hear Bartok yelling, "Evasive maneuver! Evasive maneuver!"
I like that opening scene too. And even though it was Bartok and Ramos controlling it, the little spy orb seemed to have Legend's personality, the way it glided by Marjorie's room, then did a double-take to come back, and merrily bounced along its way again. :lol:
I like the scene where Legend tells the crowd gathered in his room that he's not teaming up with Hickok -- the look of surprise on the faces of the mayor and Skeeter is amusing.
I liked that too. It was over-acted and almost cartoonish, but it made me laugh, especially the utter disappointment and disgust on everyone's faces when they snatch back all their gifts and Skeeter takes a swig from the bottle.
This is the clear #1 episode for me so far. There's good pacing and never a dull moment, and the plot is well-written and creative, especially the ending where Legend comes up with the idea to [spoiler]. There weren't any moments that clearly stood out to me as a highlight, but the episode was generally solid from beginning to end (except for the music in the final scene). Hopefully this is a sign that the series is trending up.
I think they do trend up from here (mostly). I'm looking forward to the next one - it's one of my favorites. And Revenge of the Herd is still ahead. :)

Back to work. With any luck, I'll upload the next episode tomorrow!

Kate
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Okay! Episode #5 is up on the Lexicon now!

One of the moments that struck me as funny was Jack McCall's literary critique of Legend's books ("too many words!"), finally praising Ned Buntline and driving an exasperated Pratt to just want to be put out of his misery. :lol:

Kate
Captainvale

Post by Captainvale »

Thank you to this forum for teaching me about legends series! i caregive and this is 15 hrs of diversion/fun. Plot line sounds interesting. Thx!