Legend Blog

frenchwriter

Re: Legend Blog

Post by frenchwriter »

themacgyverproject wrote:I just posted my review of Episode 1 of Legend. Hopefully I wasn't too harsh!
http://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/ ... egend.html
Great idea to analyze Legend !! thank Nico.
I've my DVD's but I don't be able to read it on my computer currently.
I have to waiting a new battery.
But I would like to follow you in your analysis and share with everybody on this topic too.
KateR wrote:
And "poor" Thomas Edison is going to get referenced later in the series as well. Bartok is based on Nikola Tesla, who really did have a feud with Thomas Edison.

I think you'll enjoy the references in later episodes to other real historical figures (President Grant, George Custer, Wild Bill Hickok...) I have wondered if non-Americans have been able to "get" some of the clever references and plot twists if they didn't grow up learning about these characters.

Kate
Oh Yes Kate, I think that "non-Americans" can to understand some references... And we know about Nikola Tesla ;)
Of course, in France, "Legend" was never broadcast but when we love Richard, we know his love for Nicodem; as a family, we are learning his legend in "Legend" ...We will learn to distinguish the subtleties references gradually. :D
Thank to you both, Nico and Kate for your work about this marvelous serie...
themacgyverproject

Post by themacgyverproject »

KateR wrote:Wow, you're way ahead of me!
I was hoping to get the first episode up by Saturday, but I had forgotten how many HOURS it takes me to do a single episode for the Lexicon. I've been working for about 8 hours and I'm only halfway through.

And "poor" Thomas Edison is going to get referenced later in the series as well. Bartok is based on Nikola Tesla, who really did have a feud with Thomas Edison.

Don't get too far ahead of me! ;)
Kate
Wow, 8 hours is a long time! -- don't worry, I won't get too far ahead! Interesting that Bartok was based on Tesla, I didn't know that.
frenchwriter wrote: Great idea to analyze Legend !! thank Nico.
Thanks Frenchwriter!
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

frenchwriter wrote:Oh Yes Kate, I think that "non-Americans" can to understand some references... And we know about Nikola Tesla ;)
That's good. There are quite a lot of subtle references in the show, worth looking up if something doesn't make sense. I think the one episode that most depends on the audience knowing the back story is the one about Wild Bill Hickok. You need to know how Bill Hickok died in order to understand how clever the end of the episode really is. It's worth looking it up, for anyone who is unfamiliar with the story. :)

Going back to work on the Lexicon now, and then a walk to the post office. In the snow...

Kate
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

It took a bit (A LOT) longer than I thought, but I have finally finished the Lexicon page for the first episode of Legend.

It will take much longer to finish up all the Lexicon entries, but for now I'll concentrate on the episode pages and then go back to the individual "references" later.

Maybe we can get a little discussion going about the episodes each week? Even if you don't have the DVDs, you can still watch them online in the Video Gallery. (Speaking of which, is there something funky going on with the Video Gallery? Tonight I was getting an error message for all the left-hand directory pages/links. There is no reason for that - the pages are uploaded properly - so I'm thinking it's an error on the server. I'll see if it corrects itself, otherwise I'll have to do something drastic.)

Anyway, enjoy the beginning of the Legend Lexicon:

http://rdanderson.com/legend/link-legend.htm

Kate
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

Hi Kate,

The page looks great and is very informative. I love all the memorable remarks.

I've watched all episodes - mostly for entertainment for the first time. I'm planning on rewatching them and paying more attention to the details.

It was a nice, funny series. It's a shame they cancelled it after the one season.

Pam
If you can't say anything nice.....

Caty

Post by Caty »

Kate, you did a remarkable work with the 1st episode in the Legend Lexicon.
It looks so great and how much stuff you put in it. Although I'm on my first review of the series - o.k. second, but youtube doesn't really count ;) - I'm already looking forward to review it again with the knowledge of all the hints you show up.
It's such a funny series :lol:

Thank you :lol: :lol:
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

KateR wrote:
frenchwriter wrote:Oh Yes Kate, I think that "non-Americans" can to understand some references... And we know about Nikola Tesla ;)
That's good. There are quite a lot of subtle references in the show, worth looking up if something doesn't make sense. I think the one episode that most depends on the audience knowing the back story is the one about Wild Bill Hickok. You need to know how Bill Hickok died in order to understand how clever the end of the episode really is. It's worth looking it up, for anyone who is unfamiliar with the story. :)

Going back to work on the Lexicon now, and then a walk to the post office. In the snow...

Kate
I loved that ending. Totally unexpected.
If you can't say anything nice.....

Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Kate it's fantastic!!! Thank you!!! :D
Lots of love,

Lies

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Are other people watching the episodes along with us? Here's a chance to share. :)

What other details have you noticed? For example, how many MacGyver people carried over into Legend - actors, writers, directors, and so on? The production really was like a family, especially if you consider that quite a few of those people were from the Vancouver days, and they came to Arizona for Legend. Try a running "MacGyver sighting" list. Nicholas has already mentioned a few - John DeLancie, obviously, and the director. And the music was so familiar that some moments actually made me flash back to specific scenes in MacGyver.

Nicholas also wondered why Legend was running away from the horse at the end. It may not be completely clear in the beginning of the episode, but Pratt has a "thing" about horses. He doesn't like them, and avoids them. In the scene at Mr. Fat's restaurant, his explanation is "You know how horses feel about me," but it seems, both in that scene and at the end, that horses like HIM just fine. This is a running gag through the series, especially since Legend doesn't share the aversion to horses. That's why, when "Legend" appeared to the farmers and moved the river, Pratt remarks later, "Ah, riding a horse, was I?"

Back in the old days of the MacList (probably the first online RDA discussion group, started shortly before Legend aired), we used to do things like create drinking games. Here's one to start:

Pratt avoids a horse - take a drink.

As of episode two, we can start drinking whenever Legend sips "tea."

And if you're not into drinking, you can always eat M&Ms! ;)

I'm getting started on episode two. I can't let Nick get too far ahead of me! ;)

Kate
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

KateR wrote:It took a bit (A LOT) longer than I thought, but I have finally finished the Lexicon page for the first episode of Legend.

It will take much longer to finish up all the Lexicon entries, but for now I'll concentrate on the episode pages and then go back to the individual "references" later.

Maybe we can get a little discussion going about the episodes each week? Even if you don't have the DVDs, you can still watch them online in the Video Gallery. (Speaking of which, is there something funky going on with the Video Gallery? Tonight I was getting an error message for all the left-hand directory pages/links. There is no reason for that - the pages are uploaded properly - so I'm thinking it's an error on the server. I'll see if it corrects itself, otherwise I'll have to do something drastic.)

Anyway, enjoy the beginning of the Legend Lexicon:

http://rdanderson.com/legend/link-legend.htm

Kate
OH, WOW, Kate - a GREAT beginning of the Legend Lexicon. How did you do that? It is amazing! Thank you for all of it - including everything in it - especially the images of Pratt/Legend - RDA is adorable in Legend and his photos will become memorable ones for our Thunk category I think.

I learned so much from what you have put into the Lexicon. I watched the entire Legend series when it came and now I have to go back and watch it again (but I am also going through MacGyver from start to finish - so I may wait til it's done and then go back to Legend.)

This is a neat little note you included: "The Gallatin Bank was named for the hometown of Richard Dean Anderson's assistant. " - cool to know.

I hope everyone will visit your Legend page now and read all of the Legend Lexicon. I will be rereading it and re-viewing it through the days to come so thanks again.
B