Favorite Macgyver episode

Grimey

Re: Favorite Macgyver episode

Post by Grimey »

chesney2 wrote:You guys named every episode! HAHA
What about some numbers?
You mentioned 38 episodes or perhaps 40, I did not count quite exactly.
My private ranking startet with 74 episodes - I must be a MacGyver-Fan forever :oops:

Of course I love RDA and his way of making MacGyver alive for us.
And I also admire the creators and writers who did the work before acting!
I like the variety in the episodes:
- funny ones, especially with Jack
- environmental subjects,
- social subjects,
- RDA and kids,
- outdoor / scouts' skills,
- fascination of artefacts...

10 examples of my favourites
are...
Slow Death
The Eraser
Final Approach
Dalton, Jack of Spies
The Endangered
On A Wing And A Prayer
Live and Learn
The Treasure Of Manco
Trail Of Tears
The 'hood

... and 64 more ;)
It depends on my actual needs / emotions, which ones I like to choose.
P
ebineez01

Post by ebineez01 »

Hi all :)

As everyone else has said, picking a favourite is very difficult as there are so many good episodes.
I will say though that although I have the series on DVD there are three episodes that I have also bought on iTunes and downloaded onto my iPad for easy access or to be able to watch when I can't get to the DVDs and those are

- series 3 episode 8 The Widowmaker
- series 3 episode 15 The Negotiator
- series 4 episode 3 The Outsiders

On relfecting on the content of those episodes it seems as though I'm more of a 'whump' fan when it comes to Mac than I realised :lol:

For the past few months I've also been watching the complete run of MacGyver from start to finish as I know a few other people here are currently doing or have done in the recent past. As it turns out B and I are up to about the same point, which is around the middle of season 6. The one I am on currently is episode 14 Eye of Osiris.
It has been absolutely great for me as I have not seen any of these episodes since they originally aired when I was a kid, so I only vaguely remember very few of them, so I am watching them all for the very first time and enjoying them very much.

So if anyone wants to chat about any of the episodes they're watching or have watched recently - or any fav Mac bits of any of them - I'd be happy to oblige :D
Ebi
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

ebineez01 wrote:Hi all :)

As everyone else has said, picking a favourite is very difficult as there are so many good episodes.
I will say though that although I have the series on DVD there are three episodes that I have also bought on iTunes and downloaded onto my iPad for easy access or to be able to watch when I can't get to the DVDs and those are

- series 3 episode 8 The Widowmaker
- series 3 episode 15 The Negotiator
- series 4 episode 3 The Outsiders

On relfecting on the content of those episodes it seems as though I'm more of a 'whump' fan when it comes to Mac than I realised :lol:

For the past few months I've also been watching the complete run of MacGyver from start to finish as I know a few other people here are currently doing or have done in the recent past. As it turns out B and I are up to about the same point, which is around the middle of season 6. The one I am on currently is episode 14 Eye of Osiris.
It has been absolutely great for me as I have not seen any of these episodes since they originally aired when I was a kid, so I only vaguely remember very few of them, so I am watching them all for the very first time and enjoying them very much.

So if anyone wants to chat about any of the episodes they're watching or have watched recently - or any fav Mac bits of any of them - I'd be happy to oblige :D

Hi, Ebi,

I am happy to discuss the MacGyver episodes. Yes, I am going through MacGyver from start to finish. And I am on Season 6. I think this is probably my favorite season - as it has so many episodes that I especially like.

Each episode in Season 6 is good in its own way.

One I really like is "Humanity". It really shows the madness that was Coucesceau's Romania (which is a time period in real history that I remember well). I am glad the episode was post-Coucesceau - which is so good for the people of Romania and of the world that he is gone. But it shows that some people in that country still yearned for the "old ways".

Odds and ends about this episode:

The character "Victor" in that episode was totally fierce looking.

I loved the shirt and coat that Mac was wearing at the first and then the sleeveless shirt later when he had bandaged his gunshot wound. I also liked his haircut. Mac's look was soooo good (Thunk talk here) - especially when he was sitting on the bank of the stream and talking with Victor.

Always good to have a "whump" of Mac somewhere in the episode - and he always recovers.....so the fact that he was shot in the shoulder helps make this story hold together.

I was not surprised when Mac came back to help Victor when he was snakebit. And you always wondered if Victor would "lose it" and go back to his old ways - which he did eventually.

I thought the "reflex" comment by Mac and then later by Victor was meant to be funny and ironic - and it was.

And I thought the "solution" when Victor used the grenade to end it for his former commander was a nice surprise ending.

The final act in which Mac lifted the dead Victor's leg back up onto the stretcher was touching and it fulfilled the point of the story - an act of humanity.

Overall - a very good episode - one I really really liked.

How about anybody else?
B
ebineez01

Post by ebineez01 »

Hi B

Good episode that you mention.
Not sure if I should mention spoiler alert here? Everyone probably knows all these episodes backwards - but just in case there's anyone out there like me who is watching MacGyver again for the first time in a very long time and who doesn't remember or know what happens - then spoiler alert for you guys :D

So - back to it - you're right about Victor - I thought the actor who played him was very convincing and you could just imagine him growing up under the circumstances he describes. You can see through the episode how Mac brings out the human side of him, giving him some of those experiences he missed out on as a child - like someone actually caring about what happened to him - or reminding him of the very few good times he did have with his friend.
I was shocked when Victor double crossed Mac when he released him - but was glad to see he was the person he wanted to be - free from his commanders oppression for the first time in his life.

So agreed - great episode. :)

Another favourite was Strictly Business. I do love Murdoch - despite him being a homicidal maniac. Sorry to anyone who really doesn't like him - but he does have a really good sense of humour if you take out the murdering people all over the place. And when he is pretending to be Mac and he says to the woman at the camp 'I could fix it, if I only had some duct tape!' and the fact he manages to say it with a straight face - I think I had to rewind that like 3 times it made me smile so much. But as usual in the end Murdoch is a victim of his own ingenious trap,which I suppose is only fitting - you would think he would learn these elaborate traps of his just don't work where Mac is concerned. :!:
Interesting thought process how at the start he traps Mac in the houseboat and then leaves without killing him - so in his mind that makes them even after Mac saved his life in Halloween Knights, clearing his conscience about killing him later.
Ebi
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

I agree - Strictly Business is another great episode.

I too enjoy seeing MURDOC - because he is such a well-acted villain. As you say, it always looks the worst for MacGyver but it always turns out worst for Murdoc!

I also enjoy seeing Mac interact with children - such as the young lady in this episode. He is so tender and understanding when talking with her about her parents' divorce and her father's pursuit of her to take her to be with him. And, as with all children who interact with Mac - she instantly knows he is a "good guy" - not one of her father's henchmen and not a killer (which is what Murdoc was trying to convict him of being).

OK, no spoil alert needed here.....I don't think. If anyone is reading this who has not viewed Strictly Business - yet - I hope they will find a way to see it and then come back here and post their commnents about it. :D :D :D
B
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

ebineez01 wrote:[...]Another favourite was Strictly Business. I do love Murdoch - despite him being a homicidal maniac. Sorry to anyone who really doesn't like him - but he does have a really good sense of humour if you take out the murdering people all over the place. And when he is pretending to be Mac and he says to the woman at the camp 'I could fix it, if I only had some duct tape!' and the fact he manages to say it with a straight face - I think I had to rewind that like 3 times it made me smile so much. [...]
Hi Ebineez01,
I love Murdoc, too.
And what a wonderful possibility is the "REWIND" function, I enjoy it so much nowadays!
I remember the problem when I was a kid: I watched MacGyver on TV. We did not have a video recorder, so I had to see and understand everything on the first try.
Sometimes I set my alarm clock to awake me at 1.00am in the night, to watch the repeat of the episode. :lol: :lol:
Of course my parents must not notice anything, and sometimes it was hard to go to school the next day.
My brother laughed at me, but I felt: It was worth the effort! :D

Memories...
P
ebineez01

Post by ebineez01 »

Hi P

I certainly can't blame you for getting up at 1am to watch the repeat :D and obviously your brother did not understand at all, but I think everyone here does :)
There is the possibility of missing stuff the first time around for sure. I'm kind of thinking that when I finish this run through of the complete series - I've just started season 7 - it should be just about in time for me to get my Legend DVDs, so my plan right now is to finish out Mac, watch Legend and then kick Mac off from the very beginning again :D

But before I get onto season 7, I have to say how much I loved a few more season 6 episodes, starting with 'High Control'.
It was good to see Earl Dent again and really good to see Mac giving him a second chance - as if there was any doubt he would :) I think they played really well off of each other, and even though there were serious issues addressed in the episode as there always are this was one of the ones that had that comic touch that I really love :D
Oh and of course - do I even need to mention how incredibly hot Mac looks when he goes all bad-a** biker!?

There really needs to be a little 'thunk' guy here in the smilies list! ;)
Ebi
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

ebineez01 wrote:Hi P

I certainly can't blame you for getting up at 1am to watch the repeat :D and obviously your brother did not understand at all, but I think everyone here does :)
There is the possibility of missing stuff the first time around for sure. I'm kind of thinking that when I finish this run through of the complete series - I've just started season 7 - it should be just about in time for me to get my Legend DVDs, so my plan right now is to finish out Mac, watch Legend and then kick Mac off from the very beginning again :D

But before I get onto season 7, I have to say how much I loved a few more season 6 episodes, starting with 'High Control'.
It was good to see Earl Dent again and really good to see Mac giving him a second chance - as if there was any doubt he would :) I think they played really well off of each other, and even though there were serious issues addressed in the episode as there always are this was one of the ones that had that comic touch that I really love :D
Oh and of course - do I even need to mention how incredibly hot Mac looks when he goes all bad-a** biker!?

There really needs to be a little 'thunk' guy here in the smilies list! ;)
Hi, Ebi and Grimey - and anybody else reading this thread,

I can understand you, Grimey, staying up or getting up at 1 am to watch MacGyver! I am thoroughly enjoying the DVD's that allow me to watch the episodes in order one at a time.

Like you, Ebi, I have really enjoyed Season 6 = and I liked High Control too - especially Mac as the leather jacketed biker with the sunglasses! Truly hot as you say!

And thanks for the photo - a definite THUNK qualifier.

I watched Trail of Tears today - another episode I really like. Another episode with the air so cold you can see their breath. That had to be tough to do so many episodes in the snow and the cold. Mac does a good job of playing the part of having been shot and then recovering. I like the Standing Wolf Indian character. The "DREAM" SEQUENCE is a bit confusing to me - especially when Standing Wolf at the stream becomes the dead wolf by the stream. But, I basically understand it. Mac just looks so good in this even though he is in such dire shape. Just a well done episode, in my opinion.

Tonight I also watched Hindsight - where Pete is getting ready to have his eye surgery. The fact that the producers and writers included Pete's glaucoma into the scripts says a lot about their loyalty to Dana Elcar. This is one time I didn't particularly like what Mac is wearing in this episode or his haircut. Don't get me wrong, he still looks so good - but I just prefer him in one of his jackets (like the biker jacket or his bomber jacket) than in the sport coat and turtle neck shirt. Of course, this episode is one in which they do flashbacks into previous episodes...which are okay....and which were appropriate for the script. The cutest thing was Mac's handling of Pete's letter of resignation - having it sit on Pete's desk - and Pete saying, "I'm gonna get you...". Then, post episodes, RDA's statement about people interested in finding out more about Glaucoma being in touch with that organization for the blind - was very touching, again, when you know that Pete / Dana truly had glaucoma and did lose his sight in that eye.
B
ebineez01

Post by ebineez01 »

Both good episodes B for sure :) I thought it was interesting in Trail of Tears how Mac managed to understand what Standing Wolf had to tell him better than the Indian lawyer Larry Whitecloud, but maybe Mac was more willing to listen.

Well it seems like only a few days ago I said I had just started season 7 - last night I just finished it, though it was a truncated season.
I gotta say that so far - season 7 is my favourite - but then I think I've said that about every season when I've started it :lol:
And The Hood has become my new fav episode.
I think that Rick looks great - I love his hair in this new season - for some reason it takes years off him. I was looking at the 'guess the screen cap' thread the other day and it was his pic from the Hood(before I'd seen the episode) and I thought that it must have been from season 2 somewhere as he looked a lot younger than in recent seasons that I'd been watching.
Some pics to show what I mean :)

There's a lot of fun characters in this one in the new neighbourhood he moves to. Though it did leave me feeling at a bit of a loss that he's just moved out of the blue - and then we find out that the houseboat burnt down? I thought that was a bit random without any story to cover it. But I guess it's been the same every time he's moved. All of a sudden he just turns up in a new place. And now that I think of it that would probably have coincided with when they were changing filming locations - I suppose it was much easier to have Mac move than try to recreate his current residence in a new place. But I did really love the houseboat.
Another thing I love about this episode - the return of the jeep!!!!!! :D Don't get me wrong - I love the truck and the nomad - both beautiful cars. But for me Mac is Mac when he's driving around in the jeep and we also get to see a lot more of him on the motorcycle this season.
Season 7 Mac on his motorcycle for your viewing pleasure :D

Ebi
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

ebineez01 wrote:Both good episodes B for sure :) I thought it was interesting in Trail of Tears how Mac managed to understand what Standing Wolf had to tell him better than the Indian lawyer Larry Whitecloud, but maybe Mac was more willing to listen.

Well it seems like only a few days ago I said I had just started season 7 - last night I just finished it, though it was a truncated season.
I gotta say that so far - season 7 is my favourite - but then I think I've said that about every season when I've started it :lol:
And The Hood has become my new fav episode.
I think that Rick looks great - I love his hair in this new season - for some reason it takes years off him. I was looking at the 'guess the screen cap' thread the other day and it was his pic from the Hood(before I'd seen the episode) and I thought that it must have been from season 2 somewhere as he looked a lot younger than in recent seasons that I'd been watching.
Some pics to show what I mean :)

There's a lot of fun characters in this one in the new neighbourhood he moves to. Though it did leave me feeling at a bit of a loss that he's just moved out of the blue - and then we find out that the houseboat burnt down? I thought that was a bit random without any story to cover it. But I guess it's been the same every time he's moved. All of a sudden he just turns up in a new place. And now that I think of it that would probably have coincided with when they were changing filming locations - I suppose it was much easier to have Mac move than try to recreate his current residence in a new place. But I did really love the houseboat.
Another thing I love about this episode - the return of the jeep!!!!!! :D Don't get me wrong - I love the truck and the nomad - both beautiful cars. But for me Mac is Mac when he's driving around in the jeep and we also get to see a lot more of him on the motorcycle this season.
Season 7 Mac on his motorcycle for your viewing pleasure :D

LOVE those photos, Ebi! True THUNKS if I ever saw them. (yes, we need a THUNK smiley for sure).

So you have already finished Season 7? Wow. I will be starting Season 7 later today.....but I remember some of the episodes you mention. I'll comment on them individually later. Thanks again for the photos.....LOVE EM!
B