OUR BETTER SOURCE OF INFORMATION

Lis

Re: OUR BETTER SOURCE OF INFORMATION

Post by Lis »

Maybe you should definitely on the technology of computers inform times.

With the right programs, you can also eliminate this watermark again.

Conclusion: That would bring nothing.

Then it should be banned from the start of things to upload Kate's page elsewhere.

That I but would be found not so great.

As long as no nonsense is driven with his photos, it should be okay.

Otherwise, I do not find that we are now arguing.

That's a very common discussion.

Lis
Anne

Post by Anne »

Well, a watermark would at least give credit to the pictures even if people post them without explanation as to where they came from. I think it's a good idea. As an artist I put my sig on my artwork as well before posting it. It won't keep bad guys from removing it if they can, but at least if it's been posted to blogs, FB, twitter, etc, no one else can just claim them to be theirs so easily.
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

My apologizes to you all...

I didn't want to cause controversy, I said above...
I talk about selfies from Richard, who he gives for us.
Perhaps we could ask him what he thinks, if he likes to know they are shared on the net? Ask to him the permission to share, would be an act of respect towards the man we love so much.

I'm afraid he no longer wishes to offer us his words and selfies if the respect didn't more exist.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

It's ok frenchwriter. I agree with you .
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Well,
all this discussion makes clear that we are bothered, that is a good sign, I think!
Thank you very much Frenchwriter for sensitizing us (again?) to be careful with Richard's privacy. (Even if I suppose that he is aware of the paste-and-copy-manners in the net, and that he would only give pictures to Kate's page which are meant for public.)

By the way, it is against law to copy pictures, at least in Germany. You must not even use screenshots of films just for fun, as long as I understood. It is not sufficient to name the source, but in many cases you would need permission of the producer to act perfectly!
Sorry, it is all in German :mrgreen: :
http://www.anwalt.de/rechtstipps/urhebe ... 55832.html
http://rechtsanwalt-schwenke.de/wann-is ... heckliste/
I am not ready with my opinion about this law... :?:

I agree with all your explanations about watermark and I hope Kate does not have too much more trouble to put that idea into practise!
P
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

I don't mind if people "borrow" pictures I've taken and posted on this site as long as they give me credit. However, I did stumble across a RDA fan site on Facebook where someone posted pictures I had taken at a QTF event and CROPPED OFF THE WATERMARK. What really made me mad was she said nothing when other members complemented on how wonderful HER pictures were.

**getting off my soap box now**
If you can't say anything nice.....

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

PamK1950 wrote:... and CROPPED OFF THE WATERMARK. What really made me mad was she said nothing when other members complemented on how wonderful HER pictures were.
That's really the biggest problem, a simple lack of ethics in so many people. Entire sections of my website have been "borrowed" this way. Sadder still is how many fans are fooled by these people and continue to support them.

RDA shares news and pictures to be posted on the website because that is how he prefers to communicate. I don't think he is expecting that his communication is exclusive in any way, but simply that this is a form of communication he trusts.

He's not much of a fan of social media. He had a Facebook page once and was so flooded with unwelcome friend requests that he shut it down. Then the extraordinarily unpleasant situation with certain individuals attempting to impersonate RDA on Facebook (which he had to involve lawyers to shut down) pretty much soured him on Facebook in general. I have to say, the complete lack of cooperation from Facebook through that whole mess turned me off of Facebook myself. He really had no interest in Twitter, either, until Wylie convinced him to try it. At first he found the novelty appealing, but when someone else started hacking into his account, giving the impression that he was following new people or retweeting certain messages, he was disgusted and actually considered deleting the account. (Yes, I'm aware of the rumor that it is somehow my fault that he doesn't tweet. I even told RDA about that rumor, and he burst into laughter. In fact, I was the one who suggested he hold off a little longer before making the decision to delete his account.) But those experiences have turned him off of Twitter as well.

And so, he'll share news with the website, and he probably assumes that he is reaching the greatest number of fans this way. It can actually be a good thing if his contributions are shared in such a way that fans in other venues become aware of the real source of RDA news. It would be nice if RDA's notes actually brought more fans here.

But having said that, now that RDA is sharing his thoughts and photos more often than ever before, perhaps it is indeed time to start adding a watermark. Even if unethical fans might try to remove it and claim it as their own. :roll:

Kate
Jirel

Post by Jirel »

hi ,Kate about the watermark it is a very hard work to do that on every archives,photos ,selfie etc... I have a idea ,why not open a space for him in the forum who he will post his selfie and news ,if he don't want to communicate or participate in the forum --it could be one way and he will be protected by our passwords and us, fans .
fans on the web wont be so easy access and I know he wont like this solution but it is better than closing the site because to much hacking and stolen text and photos-- :roll: ;)
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

I don't know, but considering all of the information that members have posted from other sources on here, what is wrong with sharing the updates RDA sends Kate with other fans (as long as it is credited properly)? He doesn't belong to us exclusively and IMO if he didn't want something shared on the web, Kate wouldn't post it.

Just my thoughts.
If you can't say anything nice.....

Anne

Post by Anne »

PamK1950 wrote:I don't know, but considering all of the information that members have posted from other sources on here, what is wrong with sharing the updates RDA sends Kate with other fans (as long as it is credited properly)? He doesn't belong to us exclusively and IMO if he didn't want something shared on the web, Kate wouldn't post it.

Just my thoughts.
My thoughts exactly!

Imho it's not fair to 'punish' all the fans (who (for whatever reason) don't come here or don't know about the site etc and get their RDA fix elsewhere) because of a group of stupid ignorant or greedy attention seeking people. Not all RDA fans are like that even if they don't visit this site. You saw how many many ppl outside this forum sent cards for him because they care and love him and those ppl have the same right of source of information even if they stay away from the forum or don't use the website as prime source of information. You will never find a solution that is 100% waterproof to avoid plagarism or theft. But locking the update section down shouldn't be the way to go, imho.

I'm not on FB and won't ever go there, but I'm grateful and happy when friends share with me what they find on there and I like to return the favor by giving something back. However, I only ever share privately and if I post pictures from here on rda_daily on LJ I do credit this site because it should be the norm to do so.