Legend Blog

KateR
Site Admin

Re: Legend Blog

Post by KateR »

Just a little note here, as I am working my way through episode #4...

We had mentioned earlier that the theme music for the second episode was different from the original, a sort of softer guitar version that was lacking the violin. I don't have an explanation for why that is - could be the violin track got "lost" in the rerecording? (Remember when Apophis's voice couldn't be heard on the SG-1 DVD for the Nox unless you had your audio settings a certain way for that track to play?)

Anyway, I'm happy to report that as of episode three, the familiar original Legend theme music is back on the DVDs. :)

Kate
themacgyverproject

Post by themacgyverproject »

KateR wrote: He really was doing the upside down scene, although surely it was shot in smaller segments with plenty of rightside-up breaks in between. I wish I could find some of the discussion that happened when the show aired, with people from the set talking about RDA's endless patience doing that scene himself. It really was incredibly long!
At some point I'm going to reach out to Mike Greenburg, and if he's up for a few questions I will make this one of them!
Anne

Post by Anne »

I FINALLY have some time to join in here!

I love the blog and I love the Legend section on this website too! When we first started with the petition (or re-started you may say) I wanted to do exactly this - have a blog with episode summaries and we wanted to do screencaps etc etc - but we never got that off the ground for some reason (time management in my case) and the episodes were so awful in quality that screencapping or doing art wasn't fun either.

I'm in the process of rewatching as well - and am having a blast!
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

Yesterday night, I finally got to watch the first episode on my PC ! :D :D
With a software VLC media player because I'm in France.
I'm very delight! It's a really fantastic story and atmosphere. All actors play very well.
But of course, Richard is the wonderful and funny Legend ! I love his play, his so much pleasant voice, his facial expressions and so on ...So, all HIM is ...wouahhh!
I love the character from John de Lancie too... They both make a very pair!

But, I don't speak English very well :? and it's very difficult to understand all dialogues...
However, all actors speak audibly, it's true and very well. I was be able to hear a bit of sentences for understand actions. But some long dialogues were diffcult for me!
With analysis from Kate and themacgyverproject, I could understand a little more.
Could I ask to you several explanation I didn't understood about two dialogues ?

1° What is the discussion about the clothes from Legend and Harry Parver in front of the saloon?
2° What Bartok 's words to persuade Pratt to continue to be legend, around the end of episode, and the monolog from Pratt in the sunset at end ?

Thank you very much for your help... ;)

This evening, I'm going to watch the second episode... I'm impatient... :D
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

Oh no,

don't tell me the DVDs are without subtitles, not even with english lines??
:?:
P
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

Grimey wrote:Oh no,

don't tell me the DVDs are without subtitles, not even with english lines??
:?:
:lol: no subtitles Grimey and no English lines (maybe my PC is too much old)...
It's a good language learning. Richard has an excellent diction, as we know... ;)
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

The DVDs don't seem to have captions or subtitles, which is a disappointment. But the original broadcasts had closed captioning, and my old computer (which I have kept for this very reason) had the ability to play the old VHS tapes and "capture" and save the closed captions as a text file. It was a bit of a pain, but I have saved the captions for each episode as text files, and they are invaluable for trying to do the Lexicon. (I did the same thing for SG-1 - I NEVER could have done the Stargate Lexicon without those captions!)

The captions are occasionally incorrect or incomplete, and there are typos or lines that did not save properly, but if it helps the foreign speakers here who need captions, I can send you the text files as I get to them.

I probably won't get episode #4 up until the weekend - still working on it. My absolute favorite part of the episode is Standing Beaver. I had hoped he would be a recurring character.

Welcome to the people joining in on the episodes - please join in on the discussion!

Kate
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

KateR wrote:The DVDs don't seem to have captions or subtitles, which is a disappointment. But the original broadcasts had closed captioning, and my old computer (which I have kept for this very reason) had the ability to play the old VHS tapes and "capture" and save the closed captions as a text file. It was a bit of a pain, but I have saved the captions for each episode as text files, and they are invaluable for trying to do the Lexicon. (I did the same thing for SG-1 - I NEVER could have done the Stargate Lexicon without those captions!)

The captions are occasionally incorrect or incomplete, and there are typos or lines that did not save properly, but if it helps the foreign speakers here who need captions, I can send you the text files as I get to them.

I probably won't get episode #4 up until the weekend - still working on it. My absolute favorite part of the episode is Standing Beaver. I had hoped he would be a recurring character.

Welcome to the people joining in on the episodes - please join in on the discussion!

Kate
Oh, it's very kind Kate.
Thank you... Could I have the text files, if you can? :D :D :D

Perhaps could we have a summary more detailled from each episode in the Lexicon please? :?: :?
themacgyverproject

Post by themacgyverproject »

KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

themacgyverproject wrote:Here's my review of episode 4!
http://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/ ... stand.html
Thanks, Nick!
The action itself is over the top as Custer calmly shoots at least five of them while somehow the 20+ attackers are not able to hit anyone, even when everyone in the wagon stops for 15 seconds to put on gas masks.
I often wonder about that even in modern-day police drama shootouts. You'd think one side or the other would have better aim. I guess the hired fake Indians didn't have enough time to practice. ;) I did enjoy the weeping gas and air conservancy masks, though.
The scene gives off a bit of a Murdoc vibe, and I thought of this again at the end of the episode when we learn that they never found his body after his fall from the balloon.
I found it VERY Murdoc-like, perhaps even deliberately so, and I was rather disappointed by it. I was never a big fan of Murdoc, or should I say his increasingly bizarre ability to return from the "dead." I do wonder if Caine was intended to be a recurring guest star if the show had lasted beyond 12 episodes.
If the balloon was going to follow the coach all the way to Denver, couldn't the Custers have just take the balloon?
LOL! Good question! I suppose the answer is "but then you wouldn't get the cool Legend-leaping-from-the-balloon-with-the-Legend-wings-and-stopping-the-stagecoach scene. :lol:
Libby Custer clearly has the hots for Legend.
No surprise for most of the women here, I suspect!
The guest star actors really delivered here, but nevertheless I wasn't all that fond of this episode. Though the plot was more consistent than Episode 3, it didn't have many highlights and wasn't overly enjoyable.
I actually thought Custer was a stronger performance than either Caine or Whipple, but then slimy bad guys wear thin on me quickly. It wasn't among my favorite episodes either, but I did enjoy the witty dialogue. I really liked the Standing Beaver character and wanted him to come back in future episodes. I also liked all the sly references to the future, like the upcoming Battle of Little Bighorn and the election of 1876. Bartok really WAS clairvoyant, you know! ;)

Oh, one other little detail that jumped out at me, when Legend promises three shows to Standing Beaver, he holds up three fingers, but unlike Beaver (and most people, I suppose), rather than holding up the three middle fingers, he holds up the first two fingers and thumb. Maybe RDA has always done that - I never noticed - but it's the way you would properly say "three" in sign language, and I wondered if he knew that. :)

Kate