Articles/Polls/News...

tvero80

Articles/Polls/News...

Post by tvero80 »

I wasn't inspired and couldn't find a better title . Sorry.And maybe this is going to be the only post but I wanted to share.

Yesterday in France the' fête des voisins' was organised.Neighbours meet and spend some time together.A poll was conducted and 40% of the respondents said their favourite neighbour was/would be MacGyver :D I couldn't agree more ,he can fix everything and he's so sweet...the second were 'Friends' with 30%.
Didn't I tell you MacGyver had had and still had an enormous impact on us French?

V
j-sky

Re: Articles/Polls/News...

Post by j-sky »

Very nice to hear that :D !
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks, V, for that news/poll of your neighbors replies to that question! It's nice to hear that MacGyver still has a huge impact on you all in France. (guess you can figure out where I am from in the US, can't you?). So thanks again for that post and for this thread.
B
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

bftlovesRDA wrote:guess you can figure out where I am from .
Actually B I'm not sure I can figure it out .Maybe your state has some sort of connection with France, and starts with an L?If I'm right I went there twice and it's very beautiful.You're very lucky to live there :)

V
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Well, "you all" is a Southern term so I am from the South in the US = Southeastern USA to be exact. I'll keep the state I am from a secret for now.....

Some people think everyone in our state are "rednecks" = a term that loosely means (IMHO) someone who has been out in the sun getting a red neck from working in the tobacco fields, for instance.....

Is there a difference in France in the accents and sayings of those who live in the North of France and those who live in Southern France? If so, you know what I mean then.
B
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Sorry B, I didn't want to seem too inquisitive .

There are differences in accents (easy to recognize for us French) between the North and the South .As for the sayings I'm not sure. People from the North are supposed to be.... people from the South are supposed to be ...it's more a question of cliché than anything else .But no nickname comes to my mind.

I think I've just reached my 200th post and since I liked Stargate Sg1 '200' very much I'm going to dress like Jack as Kermitt (used a green outfit I don't know if you saw that in the behind the scenes where RDA explained it, it was hilarious) and disappear like him :D .The British call us 'Froggies' ,that's why I was referring to Kermitt :) Do you have a nickname(or nicknames ) for us too in the USA?

V
nicolemj@otenet.gr

Post by nicolemj@otenet.gr »

B said: Well, "you all" is a Southern term so I am from the South in the US = Southeastern USA to be exact. I'll keep the state I am from a secret for now.....

Well B, without being a 100% sure, I think I can guess where you are from. I think you're referring to Louisiana and maybe particularly to French Quarter. When I used to work in the US Army Base (located in Athens, Greece), I had a friend who was from New Orleans, and particularly from French Quarter. I've never been there, but I love New Orleans (the city of jazz) and generally I love your country very much. Every State is very special. As for the accent, I think I know what you mean. But let me tell you that I love Southern accent. I think it's so different and so unique. Here in Greece, people from the North have also a different accent from the people who live in the South.
MacBeth

Louisiana and France

Post by MacBeth »

The French influence in Louisiana isn't just a single section of New Orleans -- it's a lot deeper and richer than that. In the US, some of the states that were originally French or Spanish colonies (California, Washington, New Mexico, Arizona, Louisiana and a few others), as opposed to British colonies, actually have different state laws relating to taxes, property, marriage and family. It's because the underlying law came from a different legal code originally: both French and Spanish law descend from Roman law, as opposed to English common law. (I work professionally with some of these distinctions. In most cases, the level of legal protection is better.)

End pointless digression . . . :?
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

V and Nicole: Thank you for guessing where I am from....and for the added information about your countries, France and Greece. I think it's neat that all our countries have different accents (and maybe different sayings) depending on whether you are from the Northern or Southern part of each country.

I am from North Carolina, nicknamed the Tar Heel State. "You all" or "Ya'll" is a term used throughout NC by the "natives" of our state but it is also used throughout the Southeast, the South, and the Southwestern parts of the USA.

I am very glad that people from all over the world recognize and admire Richard Dean Anderson as either MacGyver and/or as Col. Jack O'Neill in Stargate SG1.

Ya'll make me happy to be a part of this big international "family" of fans!

from your friend in North Carolina, USA.....
B
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

In fact we were wrong(!) we weren't thinking of North Carolina...I remember visiting Charleston and Savannah (South Carolina I think ) and further west Nashville.But I don't know North Carolina.

V