MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

NiLa

Re: MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

Post by NiLa »

Wow, B., what a great comment! You were burning to write that, weren't you?

Thanks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will follow with mine soon.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

Golden Triangle

One of the adventure-charged episodes of the first season. I loved these types of episodes a lot.
Later, the episodes changed and sometimes I missed the "old" MacGyver very much.

First, the scene in the junkyard.
He was able to escape the bad boy first, but unfortunately he was caught.
They put him in a car and crushed it with the junk press.
Miraculously, he managed to escape.

Happiness is with the good guys ;)
Of course he also managed to catch the bad guys

In this episode, he burned twice in the sun, once voluntarily and once more forcibly :lol:
Certainly the most popular pictures of the episode for most female fans!!

What I find particularly good about the Golden Triangle is it's full of MacGyerisms. I'm a total fan of it and I can not decide which one is best.
Sometimes the simplest ones fascinate me far more than the more elaborate ones, but they are all interesting and instructive.
Producing tear gas from ash and alcohol is quite imaginative.

His humor in this episode is just great, laugh everytime.
Motto: Never lose your sense of humor, even the situation is really bad!
Exactly my thing - Mac, I love you!

This shows clearly what is important to him. He helps the weaker, even if it would cost him his life.
A true hero, selfless and simply adorable. He accidentally gets into a completely different matter during a job. Slavery, drug and arms trade.
He wants to help, but it's not that easy. People are afraid, afraid of the consequences and who can blame them?

I really loved the scene when the boy thought Mac had flown away by helicopter. For a little while, my heart died with his.
But of course he did not leave the place, no, he got the villagers to fight, in his own way.
At least here, you have to love him, right?

Long speech, short sense-beautiful episode!!

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

JackGywer wrote: One of the adventure-charged episodes of the first season. I loved these types of episodes a lot.
Later, the episodes changed and sometimes I missed the "old" MacGyver very much.
I've always been fond of the "old" MacGyver, so I'm enjoying the nostalgia factor of these earlier episodes.

My strong memory of Golden Triangle is that I think it was the only MacGyver episode that was never rerun. Back in those days, series ran new episodes until about April or May and then they ran reruns through the summer. I had taped the episodes from the beginning, but I wasn't sure I was going to keep them all, and since Golden Triangle didn't stand out as a favorite for me, I had taped over it. Later, when I decided I was going to keep a complete set, I planned to rerecord it, but it never reran - don't know why.

In fact, as I recall, it didn't show up until the USA network started rerunning them in the 90s, and then they showed versions with scenes edited out to make room for more commercials. My favorite line in the whole episode is "My mom used to make a great broiled chicken. One of my favorites. Funny, I'm starting to feel real sympathetic towards them chickens." And that was the line that was cut out on USA!

When they FINALLY released the DVDs, we were all excited because we would finally have the complete and restored version, but believe it or not, when the season 1 DVDs came out, the version of The Golden Triangle was the same as the edited USA version. :shock: Some of you may remember back then when online fans complained and Paramount finally released season one again with the complete episodes. So I had to buy the season 1 DVDs twice. :evil:

Anyway, glad to finally have it now!

BTW, we had a fun conversation at chat last night. We were talking about the MacGyver Drinking Game. Do others remember that far back? It was originally written by Carrie Chin back when about the only MacGyver group online was the MacList. Then in 1996, one of the talk shows RDA did found the game online and showed it to RDA. That interview is in the Video Gallery here - The Daily Show from November 7, 1996. It was fun for all of us to see his reaction to something that had come from our fan group. :)

Anyway, at chat we were talking about having fun with the game while rewatching these episodes. Whether you do the drinks or the chocolate or just keep score, or whether we use the original version or create one of our own, it's just a fun little way to keep track of some of the details.

For reference, here was the original game:
The MacGyver Drinking Game, written by Carrie Chin

Note: this drinking game is intended to be FUN. In keeping with Our Hero's abstention from the consumption of alcoholic beverages, I recommend chocolate candies (e.g. M&Ms) or similar foodstuffs as a substitute, especially if you'd like to be coherent afterward. Enjoy!

Someone asks MacGyver what he does for a living - One drink

MacGyver wears a tie - Two drinks

MacGyver wears a suit along with the tie - Three drinks

MacGyver isn't just wearing a suit and tie; he's wearing a tuxedo - Chug

Pete isn't wearing his usual suit and tie - Two drinks

Someone asks MacGyver his first name - Two drinks

Mac's first name is spoken aloud - Three drinks

Pete says "DSX" instead of "DXS" - Two drinks

One of MacGyver's friends dies, setting up the story - One drink

Someone asks MacGyver, "Are you a cop or something?" - One drink

A guest actor from a previous episode appears, but as a different character
- One drink

MacGyver dreams of the Old West - Two drinks

MacGyver remembers an incident from his childhood - One drink

MacGyver discusses commitment - Three drinks

MacGyver sets a clever trap to catch the bad guys - One drink

MacGyver bluffs - One drink

MacGyver bluffs successfully - Two drinks

Someone parks really, really badly in order to get a good camera angle - One drink

Someone calls MacGyver "Mac" - One drink

Harry calls MacGyver "Bud" - One drink

MacGyver calls Harry "Harry" - One drink

MacGyver calls Harry "Grandpa" or anything other than "Harry" - Two drinks

Jack Dalton's left eye twitches - One drink

Murdoc escapes a gruesome fiery/falling/crushing/drowning death, only to come back and make MacGyver's life a living hell - One drink

Some other villain/villainess returns to make Mac's life a living hell - Two drinks

Jack Dalton sucks MacGyver into another one of his get-rich-quick schemes - One drink

MacGyver is wounded - One drink (Be careful when watching sixth-season episodes in succession.)

MacGyver performs physically impossible acts (e.g. cable-car acrobatics) after being wounded - One drink for every physically impossible act

MacGyver uses his Dexter alias - Two drinks

MacGyver hotwires a car - One drink

MacGyver gets that "deer facing headlights" look on his face - One drink

MacGyver uses a gun as a tool - One drink

MacGyver uses a gun as a weapon - Chug

MacGyver meets a former high-school/college sweetheart/old flame - One drink

That sweetheart/old flame gets him in trouble - One drink

Jack Dalton gets MacGyver into trouble - One drink

Penny Parker gets MacGyver into trouble - One drink

Pete Thornton gets MacGyver into trouble - Two drinks

Pete arrives on the scene just as things are wrapping up - One drink

Pete arrives on the scene before things wrap up - Two drinks

MacGyver goes on a search for ancient treasure - One drink

Pete tries to talk MacGyver into getting a haircut - Two drinks

MacGyver and Harry reminisce about the old days - One drink

Mac has trouble with any of his cars (engine problems, burnt-out generator, brake failure, bullet holes, etc.) - One drink

Mac rides his own motorcycle or one he's "borrowed" - One drink

Mac wears a helmet while riding - Three drinks

A visiting foreign dignitary/ambassador/corporate magnate has something up his sleeve - One drink

MacGyver disguises himself as one of the bad guys to infiltrate a villain's compound - One drink

Nikki and MacGyver argue/snipe at one another - One drink

MacGyver falls down after delivering the knockout punch - One drink

MacGyver shakes his aching hand after punching someone out - One drink

MacGyver says, "Oh, man" - One drink

Jack Dalton says, "Don't worry - I have a plan" - One drink

MacGyver moves, Zenlike, without making a sound, even on rough terrain - One drink

MacGyver curses - One drink if it's in a first-season episode; otherwise, chug

MacGyver creates a diversion - One drink

MacGyver uses his Swiss Army knife - One drink

MacGyver loses his Swiss Army knife - Three drinks

MacGyver has a roll of duct tape with him - Two drinks

MacGyver plays hockey - One drink

Pete plays hockey with MacGyver - Two drinks

The actors' breaths frost when the show's supposed to be set in balmy Los Angeles - One drink

There's snow on the ground when the show's supposed to be set in balmy Los Angeles - Two drinks

Someone mispronounces MacGyver's name - Two drinks

MacGyver tells someone to stay put - One drink

That person actually stays put and doesn't cause any trouble - Three drinks

Suddenly, there are doors on the Jeep where there were none in the previous scene - Chug

The writers try to explain away one of RDA's many injuries - Two drinks

The episode focuses on an environmental issue - One drink

The episode focuses on a social issue - One drink

The episode's plot appears to have been torn from the current headlines - One drink

The episode includes clips from previous shows - Two drinks

We see MacGyver shirtless - Three drinks

MacGyver expresses a discomfort with/fear of heights - Two drinks

MacGyver displays a skill we haven't seen before (e.g. logging) - Two drinks

MacGyver kisses a woman - One drink if it's in a first-season episode; otherwise, three drinks

MacGyver goes to bed with a woman - Chug heartily.
Kate
eurmos

Post by eurmos »

I think we are all in a LOT of trouble playing this game. This is a very long list!
Beth
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

KateR wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:31 pm
BTW, we had a fun conversation at chat last night. We were talking about the MacGyver Drinking Game. Do others remember that far back? It was originally written by Carrie Chin back when about the only MacGyver group online was the MacList. Then in 1996, one of the talk shows RDA did found the game online and showed it to RDA. That interview is in the Video Gallery here - The Daily Show from November 7, 1996. It was fun for all of us to see his reaction to something that had come from our fan group. :)

Kate
Thanks, Kate, for referencing the MacGyver Drinking Game and for printing it out. LOVE IT! (not the drinking part so much but I can go for the chocolates.....) Anyway, for some reason I had not seen that Daily Show video so I loved watching it and seeing RDA's reaction to mention of The Drinking Game. Whoever made up that Game was right on target......very cool.

thanks again.
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

JackGywer wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:36 am

Certainly the most popular pictures of the episode for most female fans!!
Thanks, JK, so much for the screenshots that go so well with your comments. And a definite, "AMEN" to your caption of this photo.......THE BEST photo of the episode for sure.
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

This episode kinda reminded me of the Rambo movies (at least the 2nd and 4th one, which take place in Vietnam and Burma), with less guns and violence of course ^^
It's a great episode, all the comments I could make about it have already been said so I will only say: I agree with you! :D

That drinking game sounds fun but there's a lot to remember :lol:
Maybe I'll try next time I'm having a MacGyver marathon, but I'll go for M&Ms! ;)

I wonder if there are missing scenes in the episodes I have..
My season 1 episodes last between 43 and 48 minutes.
I need to lay hands on a DVD set, but I fear the episodes won't be complete. I need to find a reliable one

And to finish with the episode of the week, well... that pic... our favorite moment of the episode.. :D
I'll post it again for our viewing pleasure.. ;)
JackGywer wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:36 am Image
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

eurmos wrote: I think we are all in a LOT of trouble playing this game. This is a very long list!
Yes, we'd all be very drunk or very fat if we tried to play it properly. But it's fun to have a list of things to look for while rewatching episodes. That list was just a suggestion from the original, but we could have fun making up our own list of things to look for, whether we indulge in beverages or chocolate or not. For example, a few of the basics:
MacGyver wears a suit/tuxedo

We see MacGyver shirtless

MacGyver kisses a woman

MacGyver uses his Swiss Army knife / duct tape

MacGyver is injured/wounded

The writers try to explain away one of RDA's many injuries

One of MacGyver's friends dies

MacGyver shakes his hand/falls down after delivering the knockout punch

A guest actor from a previous episode appears, but as a different character

There's snow on the ground in Los Angeles

MacGyver gets that "deer facing headlights" look on his face <-- (I like that one :lol: )
Some of those earlier ones don't show up much after the first season, so get your chocolate in now! (Talk about the evolution of the character. ;))

It's always fun to look for the little inconsistencies, too, whether from shooting (like the disappearing jeep doors), or from the script (just how many versions are there of MacGyver's birthday?!). It was already pointed out here about MacGyver and Little Brother wearing the same clothes, days apart, in the pilot despite the fact that Mac's shirt was destroyed. That HAS to deserve some chocolate! I still have leftover Easter candy here... :)

I am TRYING to update the Lexicon while we are doing this, so I am actually watching a different episode as I am discussing these from the beginning. I don't know how long I can keep it up, but for now I am eight episodes ahead. A little secret FYI - in order to keep everything properly linked, I have to upload them as I complete them, but it would be tedious to announce EACH episode as it is finished, so I'll hold off until I've finished a bunch of episodes.

I just uploaded The Prodigal. It doesn't appear in the episode list, but if you click on one of the characters or topics from the episode (like Acme Auto Tow Rental), all the pages and pictures will appear all linked together. Just in case you want to start peeking ahead.

Kate
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

Sorry, I am so late with my comments, I have a very busy week so far.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I like " The Golden Triangel" very much, it is one of my favourites.

There are already so many great comments about that episode, I can't really add something new to that and so I just agree with you.

And-as Kate likes them so much- I found a little flaw again:
When MacGyver is staked out in the sun he wears a brown belt. In the scene, when he already has cut himself lose and the Swiss Army Knife lies in the sand to distract the second guard, he still wears it while laying on the rack. The guard bends down to get the knife and MacGyver knocks him out. Exactly in that moment the brown belt disappears and MacGyver goes over to the first guard whom he has knocked out earlier and fastened to a tree with his belt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

NiLa wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:27 pm Sorry, I am so late with my comments, I have a very busy week so far.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I like " The Golden Triangel" very much, it is one of my favourites.

There are already so many great comments about that episode, I can't really add something new to that and so I just agree with you.

And-as Kate likes them so much- I found a little flaw again:
When MacGyver is staked out in the sun he wears a brown belt. In the scene, when he already has cut himself lose and the Swiss Army Knife lies in the sand to distract the second guard, he still wears it while laying on the rack. The guard bends down to get the knife and MacGyver knocks him out. Exactly in that moment the brown belt disappears and MacGyver goes over to the first guard whom he has knocked out earlier and fastened to a tree with his belt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anja ;)

Mac is a part-time magician :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.