MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

bftlovesRDA

Re: MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks, all, for your discussion and insights into this Episode, Target MacGyver.

Appreciate the screenshots especially. And, appreciate all you are doing, Kate, on the Lexicon. Keep up the good work and don't feel like you are in a race to get these done. You are just fine.

As with the rest of you, I enjoyed the info about Harry and Mac and their relationship, rocky as it was to start.

I did not think Axminster was as much of a threat to Mac as some of his other arch enemies were.

The MacGyverisms were pretty neat and effective, as usual.

All in all a good episode but not one of my favs.
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Shall we move on to Nightmares?

I need to watch it again first, I'll come back later for my comments, but please go ahead ;)
Kti

Post by Kti »

Thanks for your kick, Juliette ;).
Juliette wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:24 pm Shall we move on to Nightmares?

I need to watch it again first, I'll come back later for my comments, but please go ahead ;)
Okay, I'll try it with my simply words.
'Nightmares', one of my favorites.
First time Mac met Dana Elcar as Thornton although it sounds like Colton, when Curt named him.
Then there was Lisa. I'm not sure, I think there were three Lisas during MacGyver. I liked that Lisa most. It's too bad that she never has a later appearance (imho).
Wether her dreams came true, I would like to know.
Lisa was angling without succsess at the harbor and Mac created the spoon lure from a gum wrappers. (I never tested if it works. Next point on my to do list).
After Pete was shot in his shoulder, Mac was knocked out by the 'police man'.
His shirt collar was closed. When Mac hit on the ground the shirt is collar is open. It seems the asphalt is an other, it's cracked suddenly.
The MacGyverismen were awsome. Only, I do not understand the great thing with the tv for such few advance.
No one cares.
He took the antidote and everything was fine, the eighties!
Mr. Anderson proved his talent for acting. 'Nightmares' is an example for his multifacetedness.
'Nightmares' is the birth of the real MacGyver somehow. It seems he've found his way. (imho)

I warned you ;). Thanks for reading.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks, Kti, for your great comments on "Nightmares". I agree with you on all.
B
lesliekretchmar

Post by lesliekretchmar »

I agree, RDA's acting ability was tested and he didn't disappoint (he never does)!! Being sick for most of the episode was no small feat because he made us feel it, not only see it! Stumbling into the pathway of the 18 wheeler, hanging onto the chain link fence, barely able to climb up the stairs to Lisa's apartment, fighting through the pain and reacting to the nightmare, being patient enough to retrieve the antidote from the storm sewer - he was enthralling and captivating! AND, I'm glad he was victorious, especially in this one, as always! 8-)
ImageWith a little imagination, anything is possible"
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

lesliekretchmar wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:33 pm I agree, RDA's acting ability was tested and he didn't disappoint (he never does)!! Being sick for most of the episode was no small feat because he made us feel it, not only see it! Stumbling into the pathway of the 18 wheeler, hanging onto the chain link fence, barely able to climb up the stairs to Lisa's apartment, fighting through the pain and reacting to the nightmare, being patient enough to retrieve the antidote from the storm sewer - he was enthralling and captivating! AND, I'm glad he was victorious, especially in this one, as always! 8-)
Enjoyed your comments, Leslie. Well said.
B
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

I liked the episode Nightmares, though I'm not entirely sure why. Perhaps there is a bit of that "hurt-comfort" syndrome, but I do think that RDA does a remarkable job when portraying drama, or pain, or sadness. I had this conversation with him during one of our interviews, and he seemed to feel he was better with comedy (or maybe he just enjoys doing comedy), and he actually seemed surprised by the notion that fans were impressed with his more dramatic scenes. In this episode I was especially impressed by scenes like the one where he is about to be injected with the drug, and the worry and fear and even a bit of panic is clear on his face, even though he is trying to remain calm and make light of the situation ("I was kind of hoping that's what this was").

There were plenty of MacGyverisms in the episode, and he was clever even when he wasn't thinking clearly - that's our Mac. ;) Some of them were pretty convoluted. Like Kti said, the whole thing with the car battery and the TV tube was pretty complicated, and lucky he had the time to set it all up before the bad guys made it up the stairs. The water bottles with the plywood and barrels, too, was pretty elaborate. Lucky the bad guys stopped in exactly the right position for it to work when the time came. And how did he know that the bad guy guarding his little cell in the warehouse would just happen to be positioned close enough to the electrical panel when he caused an explosion with water and electricity? And the antidote just happened to be in a steel container, with a metal rod and fire hydrant close by? I probably would have tried to scrape up something sticky like chewing gum, myself. But MacGyverisms often require you to suspend disbelief, so it's easy enough to just credit cleverness and luck. :D

I liked Lisa a lot. They had a great relationship together, and I, too, would have liked at least a mention of her down the road. But you can just tell she is the type of kid who will become a success, and well deserved.

So all-in-all, it had what I look for in an episode - characters I care about, clever solutions, emotion with a touch of humor, and RDA stretching his acting boundaries just a bit. :)

Kate
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

KateR wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:46 pm I liked the episode Nightmares, though I'm not entirely sure why. Perhaps there is a bit of that "hurt-comfort" syndrome
I know exactly how you feel! I have the exact same feeling about this episode. I usually really don't like when he gets hurt or when he's in deep pain, but RDA plays it so well that I'm really impressed and this is what makes me want to watch and like the episode, I think.

As some of you said, he passes on emotions with only the look on his face, the best example being when he's scared of the needle :roll:

The story is nice, it's rather simple but efficient.
We meet Pete, even if we don't see him much in this episode, it's a smooth introduction for a character that will become essential to the show.
I liked Lisa too, I really wish we had seen her again later in the show, to see how she is doing.

Great MacGyverisms also. Indeed everything happens right when needed, but it didn't feel to me like it was forced and obviously planned for the shots. To me it felt natural, for instance water in an electric box doesn't explode right away, it takes some time for the water to reach the metal wires, often put inside plastic tubes to avoid this particular event.

Great episode ;)
lesliekretchmar

Post by lesliekretchmar »

KateR wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:46 pm I had this conversation with him during one of our interviews, and he seemed to feel he was better with comedy (or maybe he just enjoys doing comedy), and he actually seemed surprised by the notion that fans were impressed with his more dramatic scenes.
Kate
Thanks so much for sharing your conversations with Rick, Kate, as we go along! Priceless :!:
ImageWith a little imagination, anything is possible"
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Since it's Friday, I am allowing myself to move on to the next episode: Deathlock
But if any of you still wants to comment on Nightmares or a previous episode, please do ;)

Deathlock is a great episode regarding the Macgyverisms. There are many of them, and pretty inventive ones. The SAK is very useful in that episode :lol:
Lots of kissing, makes me jealous :oops:

Second time we see Pete, and he gets hurt again... :roll:
On thing I don't get is that Pete says he and Mac met for the 1st time in a desert, there's something about camels and quicksand. But later there's an episode "Partners" where we see the 1st time they met, and it wasn't in a desert.. :?

Some lines really make me laugh, especially because I can relate a lot to them :lol:
"I'm hungry. When do we eat?"
and
"I just came for lunch"
these two quotes are things I say a lot :lol:

I'll just conclude by saying that when there's that cute face, it's always a great episode :P
Last edited by Juliette on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.