MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

JackGywer

Re: MacGyver/Discuss episode of the week

Post by JackGywer »

LAST STAND

First of all I must say, this episode is one of my absolute favorites!
I can not say exactly what it favors, I think it's the overall package. No particularly action-packed episode, but still exciting.

Mac accidentally gets into a hostage situation and quickly becomes a part of it, his helpful nature has once again put him in serious trouble. I love his quiet way of dealing with things and he tries to manipulate those nasty guys in his own way.

I like Kelly, a tough woman. In a few scenes, a bit too brave, for my taste
in the face of this unscrupulous gangsters. I think I hated Buddy the most, a nasty, nasty guy

This episode contains my favorite MacGyverism. I do not know why, I love it that way, but I do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoJh1R5DtUM

Interesting too, the other MacGyverisms, fertilizer explosives, maybe I should try that too, um no ....... kidding. By the way, also a way to get rid of annoying ants, just by the way. ;)

Absolutely lousy, they shot the guard out of the
armored car after Mac had made an extra effort to save him :o :cry:
He was deeply affected, you could see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF6FUVxAVzI

How could it be otherwise, Mac finally found a way to save himself and the others.
Well, I thought it was good that the first escape attempt failed, which only made it look more believable.

All in all, an exciting episode that was a lot of fun. Not least because of the great pictures this episode provided.

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

Thanks JK for your comment and the nice screen shots.

So....it's friday, let's move on to another episode, it is Hellfire.

Who wants to start?

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Hellfire is a good episode, IMHO, showing Mac's friendship with Billl and Laura who are trying to bring in an oil well.

There are several tense moments in this episode, especially their bringing the dynamite that is leaking nitro glycerin back on the truck over the rugged road. And, their getting the dynamite out of the old shack before it falls from the shelf and explodes is another tense, intense moment. Mac's heroism in taking the place of his friend in that shack is admirable.

Mac and Bill get into a good fight over who is going to try to cap the oil fire...giving us a few fine screen shots of Mac drenched in water. (I don't have any of those to show but maybe JK or someone else will come along and have an appropriate screenshot.)

The other very tense time in this episode is the actual capping of the oil fire with MacGyverisms galore that make it possible to put out the fire....but it is tense and you can feel the heat of the "hellfire" as Mac and Bill try to stay wetted down with the water from the hose as they try to get close enough to cap the fire without burning up. They have to make do with items Mac scrounges from equipment found around the oil well site instead of the advanced equipment that most oil fires require to be put out. But Mac's MacGyverisms save the day.

There are several other "minor" MacGyverisms that are neat, especially using the spring from an ink pen to repair the truck's engine....and there are several more.

The successful capping of the fire for and with his friends makes this a rewarding episode for Mac and for us, the viewers.
B
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Sorry I've sort of fallen behind on the discussion here. I've been juggling a bunch of other projects in the past few weeks.

These last three episodes we have been discussing were not "stand-out" episodes for me. They were good, and when they first aired I certainly enjoyed them enough to know that I was going to keep watching MacGyver, and I wanted to record and save the episodes. But they were also a little unusual, given the direction of the series up to that point, in that they started a series of episodes in which Mac was not actually on a case. We were seeing "another" side of his life: In Trumbo's World, we had the mission in the opening gambit (which I enjoyed), and then he went off to visit an old friend (the first of the many old friends who would die over the course of the series). In Last Stand, he was just minding his own business trying to go fishing when he unwittingly ended up in a hostage situation. And in Hellfire he was again just visiting old friends.

At that point the character was still something of a mystery. We still weren't entirely sure what his job was or who he worked for, but we learned that even when he wasn't on a mission, he was a good guy to have around when emergencies just seemed to happen. And I've mentioned this before, but I still kind of like those early episodes where he seemed so unflappable when faced with a crisis. To me it just added to the mystery of the character - he had a depth that you didn't always see on his face or in his actions. And he had a subtle sense of humor in stressful situations - "lateral cranial impact enhancer" is still a favorite line of mine.

So while these three were not absolute favorites of mine, I felt I was getting to know and love the character even more and I liked where the series was going. The next few episodes begin a series of some of my most favorite episodes from the early days.

I've been working on those episodes even while we have been discussing the previous ones. I had a nice head start, but with other projects to be completed, my lead is slipping a little bit. I'm working on finishing up the Lexicon for Flame's End at the moment, and I'll upload the next batch soon so that they can be shared while we discuss the new episodes. But you may need to give me a break of a week or two if I'm going to keep caught up! Eeek!

Kate
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

I agree with Kate, it's nice to see Mac outside of his mysterious work and be with friends (even if it seems like his simply being here brings a lot of problematic situations.. he's such a trouble magnet... :lol: )

In this episode he gets really scared several times and it takes a moment for him to focus again, but we can see that he really tries to stay as calm as possible (and it is perfectly played too ;) )

As B said, there are many tense moments where I forget to breathe, and ingenious MacGyverisms
bftlovesRDA wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:36 am Mac and Bill get into a good fight over who is going to try to cap the oil fire...giving us a few fine screen shots of Mac drenched in water. (I don't have any of those to show but maybe JK or someone else will come along and have an appropriate screenshot.)
Well I think you mean these... ;)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

On these two he's not completely soaked but.. he's cute so.. for the sake of it.. :oops: ;)
Image Image
Pics courtesy of Kate's wonderful Lexicon :)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

KateR wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:06 pm Sorry I've sort of fallen behind on the discussion here. I've been juggling a bunch of other projects in the past few weeks.

I've been working on those episodes even while we have been discussing the previous ones. I had a nice head start, but with other projects to be completed, my lead is slipping a little bit. I'm working on finishing up the Lexicon for Flame's End at the moment, and I'll upload the next batch soon so that they can be shared while we discuss the new episodes. But you may need to give me a break of a week or two if I'm going to keep caught up! Eeek!

Kate
Thanks, Kate, for your good comments on those 3 episodes. We can wait a week or two to comment on the next episode, if that's okay with everybody.

And thanks, Kate, for the great MacGyver Lexicon entries. They are fantastic.
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Juliette wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:04 pm
bftlovesRDA wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:36 am Mac and Bill get into a good fight over who is going to try to cap the oil fire...giving us a few fine screen shots of Mac drenched in water. (I don't have any of those to show but maybe JK or someone else will come along and have an appropriate screenshot.)
Well I think you mean these... ;)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

On these two he's not completely soaked but.. he's cute so.. for the sake of it.. :oops: ;)
Image Image
Pics courtesy of Kate's wonderful Lexicon :)
Yes, Juliette, you posted those terrific screenshots both of MacGyver soaking wet and the ones where he is just so cute.....THANKS! :oops: :oops:
Last edited by bftlovesRDA on Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

I liked Hellfire, too. It shows again the "private" side of MacGyer and that he always tries to help his friends.

This "helping old friends/meeting old friends/visiting old friends" is besides his missions like a red line through the whole series.

And it always comes with problems that have to be solved in an inventive way.

What I liked about the episode was the very thrilling scene, when MacGyver and his friend got the dynamite out of the old mine and their way back. Also the very inventive way to blow out the fire with nothing but the things laying around was great.
I liked the way MacGver repaired the broken fuse and I loved the scene when he juggled with the apples. That was the first time I saw RDA juggling...

As Kate said, it was not an outstanding episode, I agree with that, but it was very nice to watch.

Anja ;)

Thanks Juliette for the screenshots, very nice. :D
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
lesliekretchmar

Post by lesliekretchmar »

Was anyone else extremely tense with the light bulbs blowing every which way in the heavy winds BEFORE one broke and sparked the humongous fire?
ImageWith a little imagination, anything is possible"
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

lesliekretchmar wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:09 pm Was anyone else extremely tense with the light bulbs blowing every which way in the heavy winds BEFORE one broke and sparked the humongous fire?
Yes, that scene made me extremely tense also....you just knew there was going to be trouble.....

Thanks for your comments everyone.
B