Do you think MacGyver is a high sensitive person?

MacGyverGod

Do you think MacGyver is a high sensitive person?

Post by MacGyverGod »

After watching a couple videos on high sensitivity, it got me wondering, do you think MacGyver is a High Sensitive Person?

I heard a lot about HSP in the past few years and it seems that a lot of people who suffered burn-out turn out to be HSP. In the video I saw today it was explained that we're actually all HSP. In fact we are born that way but due to upbringing and society we are actually taught to no longer feel. I guess we know that best as: big boys don't cry. It was also said in the video everything in nature is (high) sensitive, humans, animals, trees, anything that grows.

Since MacGyver is such a caring person about his fellow human beings, nature, animals and the environment, you think we can describe him as a HSP? Maybe more is indeed needed but he seems to have reactions to things happening around them. He doesn't like crowded places or parties, the deaths of Mike, Booker and Paul Moran affected him pretty deep not to mention the dying rhino, he mentions the smell in the cave and turns his head on most things he sniffs out... maybe it all simply stinks, he winced with that sound device on the barricade contest and he was able to hear the alarm of the pawn shop Lulu broke into over loud music. Interesting that he doesn't realise when he is being followed around though but besides that... what do you think? Even though MacGyver never really got burned out, he seems to be absorbing a lot of tingles or pricklings. He's not a soft egg either but maybe that's also a reason of why he wants to be alone most of the time.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
Jack(s)

Re: Do you think MacGyver is a high sensitive person?

Post by Jack(s) »

i know it's a long time since this was posted but here are what i am thinking and which the knowledge i have from studying psychology.
I think he is not over sensitive just normal. but he learned due to the death of his father in young age and the upbringing by his granddad, who by the way did not seemed nice all the way, to build him self a wall around him. I think that's also the reason why he is not really able to commit to a relationship. he is afraid that people around him can be used against him. the death of his friends would affect all of us if we would be that close like he was...

but this is just my thoughts on it. maybe somebody else have some other points to bring up...
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA
uniquelyjas

Post by uniquelyjas »

I agree with Jack(s). I think Mac is as normal as anyone can be (after all, what IS normal?) The buzz word flying around where I work is "mindfulness" Basically living in the present and being aware of your surroundings in the present. I think Mac could more accurately be described as "mindful". He actually listens to people and stays calm in tense situations (diffusing bombs and making last second escapes from death come to mind!). He does seem to have heightened physical senses, but again, it could be due to his simply being more aware or mindful than the average person...and it's what makes him MacGyver! As for relationships, I think his reaction is fairly common. I know I certainly have my own walls! I also think Mac is simply aware of his likes and dislikes...I don't like crowds either and I do generally prefer being along. Again, nothing really uncommon about that. I feel like I'm rambling here so I hope this makes a little sense to somebody out there!!
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

uniquelyjas and Jack(s) - I like both of your summaries about Mac. I agree with you both.
B
MacGyverGod

Post by MacGyverGod »

And I only see this now.
but he learned due to the death of his father in young age and the upbringing by his granddad, who by the way did not seemed nice all the way, to build him self a wall around him.
What makes you say that? Harry taught MacGyver everything he knew including an important lesson in fair play. The one thing you can blame him is that he just packed up and left and even then he had his reasons too. He may have been grumpy but you can not say that Harry wasn't nice at all. If he wasn't Mac wouldn't refer to him all the time. I think Harry and Mac are the same. They don't like to talk about their emotions because they're hurting over the loved ones they lost and if you ask me, I don't think Harry ever fully got over Celia's death.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.