Why does MacGyver like Westerns?

CMac

Why does MacGyver like Westerns?

Post by CMac »

I noticed this topic came up once on the MacGyver Online forums, so I thought I would ask it here.

Why do you think MacGyver likes Westerns, since they are often violent and full of guns, which he despises?

I'm not a huge fan of the genre myself, but I have seen enough of them to provide a theory. If you look past the gunplay and violence in most Westerns, there is usually a message about doing the right thing in the face of adversity. They're basically morality plays. Since Mac is such a moral man himself, I imagine that on some level Westerns appeal to his own sense of ethics and justice.

That's just my opinion, of course. What do you guys think?
MacGyverGod

Re: Why does MacGyver like Westerns?

Post by MacGyverGod »

A simpler time, perhaps? Maybe the ideal time for him to stand out as the Man Who Carries No Gun. I think maybe he likes Westerns the way I like World War II movies. Maybe it is some idealizing of the times. Things were less complicated. Maybe not in the war but in the western days... the idea of free lawless lands, the outdoors not touched by man yet... it's something we no longer have or at least having less and less of.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
LisaAnn65

Re: Why does MacGyver like Westerns?

Post by LisaAnn65 »

Good question. I noticed he turned the westerns on to go to sleep. Loved the episode where he was in the western in his dream. Solved all problems without guns and only brains again :)
One never knows till one tries