Are there any episodes you won't watch?

CMac

Are there any episodes you won't watch?

Post by CMac »

Hi everyone,

I was just curious if there are certain episodes of MacGyver you won't (or don't) ever watch. For me, it's The Coltons and The Stringer. Don't get me wrong - I like the Coltons as characters, but I think if they were trying to develop a separate show for them then they should have made a separate pilot episode for them instead of incorporating it into the MacGyver series. It's called MacGyver, after all, not The Coltons, and gosh darn it, I want to see Mac in each episode, and he is barely featured in this one! It just strikes me as weird. :?

My issue with The Stringer episode is...well...a little difficult. I have no problems with the idea that Mac might have children. I am a realist after all, and you have to imagine that after all the relationships our guy has had with women that he might produce a child at some point. After all, look at his horrified reaction to Kate's pregnancy in the Friends episode! :lol: It's just...with The Stringer...I don't know. It seems like a cliche episode to me: "Oh look, MacGyver has a long-lost son that he didn't know about!" That trope has been overdone in many shows and I find it tiresome. Also, the ending seemed anticlimactic for a series finale. After everything he's shared with Pete, and how close they are, you're telling me that halfhearted goodbye he gives to him is the best that he could do?

I just think that an episode like Passages would have been more appropriate as a series finale. You would have the high stakes and drama, it would emphasize Mac's strong bond with Pete, and it would have wrapped everything up nicely.

Now granted, I think most of season 7 is weak, but I still will watch it. The Coltons and The Stringer though, I never watch.

What about everyone else? Are there episodes you avoid?
eurmos

Re: Are there any episodes you won't watch?

Post by eurmos »

I agree with you on The Coltons episode. Darn it, it's Mac's show. He should have more than just a cameo appearance in an episode.

Beth
Beth
MacGyverGod

Post by MacGyverGod »

I usually watch them all, even the bad ones. But I really think the worst episode of them all must be: MacGyver's Women followed by The Lost Amadeus. They're downright terrible.

The Coltons episode is very well explained on the macgyverproject blogspot site. It was supposed to air after Hind-Sight as a spin-off with Mac in a cameo, but something else came in place and The Coltons aired in season 7 in the place of Mountain of Youth. That's why Mountain of Youth is called the lost episode.

The Stringer is still pretty solid in my opinion but again squeezed in 45 minutes. I think they just wanted to be done with it. Passages would've been a great series finale though.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB »

I probably wouldn't watch MacGyver's Women, The Mountain of Youth, and The Stringer.

I loved Serenity, but I just think that MacGyver's Women was silly and I really did not like Maria. I thought the plot was pretty lame in The Mountain of Youth.

As for The Stringer...well, inventing a son was a poorly used and unnecessary plot device. I think they should have ended with Good Knight MacGyver, which also happened to be one of my favorite episodes!

Barbara
Barbara
CMac

Post by CMac »

Hey, that's a good point, Barbara - Good Knight MacGyver would have made a cool finale! It's a two-part episode, plus you finally get to learn his first name! I also love that episode because it reminds me a little of The Princess Bride. Wouldn't RDA have made a great Westley? ;) :oops:

I'm not particularly fond of MacGyver's Women, either. If you want "fun Western RDA," you're better off watching either Serenity or episodes of his show Legend. Most of those are of much higher quality than this episode. I'm with you on Maria, too - I just think she's too sneaky, and I don't buy that our peace-loving Mac would ever fall for a violent ex-agent who almost kills a man.

Thank you for agreeing with me on The Stringer. I thought I was the only one who felt that way! :)
BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB »

Thank you for agreeing with me on The Stringer. I thought I was the only one who felt that way! :)
:)

Barbara
Barbara
MacGyverGod

Post by MacGyverGod »

Plenty of episodes in which MacGyver starts a fight though and he actually did kill Glass in Log Jam as he deliberately stayed on top of him on the conveyor belt before jumping aside and not giving Glass the chance to do the same. Besides he was supposed to love Nikki too, Nikki was also able to kick man-butt. Hitting him, that guy on the consulate, kicks Murdoc, jumping on Matt's back. But also Nikki says she had a certain training like Maria had. I think Maria did what she was trained to do and as the way she told MacGyver, she didn't seem to like Weise at all. Do you need to try and kill him for that? No, but I think she reacted the way she was trained to do.

The Stringer and Mountain of Youth were to me better episodes but that's the each his own. I do agree on Good Knight MacGyver though. Could've been a great series finale as well.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
CMac

Post by CMac »

I just don't think Maria has the right chemistry with MacGyver, either. She doesn't seem down-to-earth enough for him. Besides, her pressuring him to commit as much as she does is a little off-putting. :roll:

Believe me, I am not one of those women who thinks MacGyver should never have a girlfriend. It's absurd. I'm not possessive like that and I believe he deserves happiness where he can find it with a woman (although I may get a little jealous ;) ). I just think he has better suited matches throughout the series than Maria.