What is the new MacGyver supposed to be about?!

joan1984

What is the new MacGyver supposed to be about?!

Post by joan1984 »

Hi guys, I loved watching Richard Dean Anderson as MacGyver which why I was interested to see what this show would be like. I actually liked the concept, I think that Lucas Till does a good job honoring the original show even wanting to get Richard Dean Anderson on as a regular not just a cameo. At the same time it is very frustrating because I have no idea what the direction of the show is or what it is supposed to be about :x The new MacGyver does not remind me of the 1985 character at all, Richard Dean Anderson played MacGyver more like Indiana Jones NOT a reckless, egotistical super spy :!: My thinking was that he is MacGyver's son Sean Angus Malloy who appeared in the last season of the 1985 series, and that is a great idea. :idea: On Hawaii Five-0, Steven J. McGarrett is the son of the original character played by Jack Lord.

Then when I started reading the posts from the MacGyver Reboot Forum. From what I read the show is a weird prequel to the 1985 series about a young MacGyver in 2016 :?: :? If this is the case then the show should've taken place in the mid 70's or early 80's NOT 2016. Also there were flashback episodes on the original series that go into MacGyver's past like his dad being killed in an accident when he was 7 or the tragic shooting of his friend when he was 12. The story you describe makes absolutely NO sense, please clarify, Thanks Guys :lol:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :mrgreen:
PamK1950

Re: What is the new MacGyver supposed to be about?!

Post by PamK1950 »

The show was originally presented at a prequel to the 1985 MacGyver (before he joined the Phoenix Foundation). George Eads was going to play a character named "Lincoln" and there was no mention of Jack Dalton. I don't know why they decided to go with a remake/reboot. Maybe it was all of the negativity from the fans about the original concept. Who knows how Hollywood thinks.

I've been watching the show. It's okay, but there are some things I don't care for: Jack's over-enthusiasm with the guns and those lousy labels they show when Mac is explaining what he's doing. For instance, when he mentions he's going to do something to the landing gear on a plane, I think most people are smart enough to know they're showing the landing gear.

Pam
If you can't say anything nice.....

CMac

Re: What is the new MacGyver supposed to be about?!

Post by CMac »

That's the problem, isn't it? This new show can't decide what it wants to be--some kind of MacGyver ripoff, or Mission: Impossible. It has a serious identity crisis. :roll: