MacGyver Reboot

tvero80

Re: MacGyver Reboot

Post by tvero80 »

themacgyverproject wrote:At some point soon I'm planning to do a blog post about this, but in short my thoughts are that I'm more open to a reboot than most other fans. I don't expect the show to be good (because I think tv generally is not very good in today's day and age), but I'm willing to risk it on the 5% chance that it actually is a good, enjoyable show. And no matter how bad it is, it won't ruin the original for me at all. I feel the same way about the proposed movie.

All that said, I saw the article with the proposed characters, and that sounds like a disaster to me. I agree with Kate and BFT -- if you're going to make a show with a character that sounds nothing like MacGyver, just call it something different. I worry that the creators are just thinking of MacGyver as someone who makes something out of nothing, and they're not being aware or respectful of all the other things that made MacGyver unique and special.
Maybe they think they'll make money only because "MACGYVER " will attract people from all over the world out of curiosity.When they realize it 's different ,it'll be too late...
CMac

Post by CMac »

It's all about money to these people--not quality, not originality.

It's like labeling sardines as caviar and expecting people not to know the difference.
Captainvale

Post by Captainvale »

I agree , that they cannot replace his personality....which made all his work i have seen, fun and great.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

I think RDA is a wise man and he knows what is worth doing and what isn't.It may be a good idea ( this new MacGyver... though they didn't convince me !) . However,
I don't think he should be part of it ( too different from the original in many ways...).As if he was giving them 'carte blanche'...
MacsJeep

Post by MacsJeep »

I think the "spoilers" make this reboot sound awful. It may not be that bad, but I really don't expect it to work. The problem is, the people behind reboots tend to just want to ride in on the fame of the original. For it to work, it needs great casting, and some really good scripts, as well as staying as true to the original as is possible. I've never seen this happen with a reboot yet. The scripts are usually dire - and those spoilers don't make me feel any better about that.

Someone said it sounds like fan fiction - well I write fan fiction, and even I wouldn't put something like that down on paper/Word. It wants a match taking to it and burning!

Add to all that the small fact that Mac's character was mostly RDA and he's going to be nigh on impossible to replace and it doesn't look good. So why bother?

For me, MacGyver will always be the original '80's version with Richard. I feel the same way about all the other shows I watched as a kid too. Producers should leave well alone and actually get creative and come up with a NEW idea or two of their own.
CMac

Post by CMac »

*Applause* Hear, hear! Well said. :D
Anne

Post by Anne »

The comment that it sounds like fanfiction is an insult to any good written fanfic imho.

That aside, I would never go as far as wishing it was a flop and I sure won't be cross with anyone who wants to give it a chance ... it's just not for me. Mac had his time and place and he is RDA. Unlike SG-1 which was a team show and was not standing and falling just because of RDA imho because they had an amazingly talented cast all around. But MacGyver does stand and fall with RDA imho and if they want to redo MacGyver they really need to dig deep and figure out a way to make it believeable - and that is nearly impossible.
CMac

Post by CMac »

Just to clarify--I made the fanfic comment, and it was not intended to insult anyone. As I have said, there are many well-written fanfiction stories available. What I'm referring to are some of the poorer quality ones where people have written stories that sounded similar to this premise. Usually, it seems to me that those are the writers who are not familiar with the show, just as it sounds like these so-called "writers" are not. I hope that makes sense.
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

I agree with you all Rick is the only MacGyver and no one can replace him, but when the reboot comes I hope one thing...

If it succeeds, that it will bring out the same message... Solve problems in a peaceful way and talk, the world is in need of that I think, and again, I have my doubts, but I hope that, if it comes, it reaches lots people again with this message or reminds them of the original series..
Lots of love,

Lies

Caty

Post by Caty »

Wise words, Lies! :)
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)