MacGyver Reboot

LexiW

Re: MacGyver Reboot

Post by LexiW »

Lol, I think my friend was a little annoyed with my comments, but hey they asked and I stated my opinion.
nicolemj@otenet.gr

Post by nicolemj@otenet.gr »

Way to go LexiW, that you were honest and gave them a straight answer. As Caty said, I'd like to be somewhere near there and see their reactions. They should think twice before they proceed, but I think they got the message, loud and clear.
Caty

Post by Caty »

Yesterday night I spend almost one hour for a bag of shit!

Yesterday night the new "MacGaver" aired in Germany with the first two episodes.
I sufferd for one episode and I couldn't take any more.
A heap of crap, unsympathic actors - the whole episode was not worth watching it.
But I HAD to watch at least one episode, now I know what I'm railing about.
Really, what kind of person was Jack Dalton in the original series?
A sympathic but a little clumsy man, but everybody loved him.
And Nikki? We all know her, but the new one is disturbing.
And then there is Mac! We waited for 7 years to find out his first name. This guy is telling us every 5 seconds, that his name is Angus MacGyver!
And he touched a gun!!!
And at last but not at least - this young kid with that cocky behaviour and that arrogant smile will never be a MacGyver.

This whole thing is a very bad parody. It betrayes our fond memories!

Rick, I'm very glad, you never participated in it.
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB »

I for one checked out the first episode and I wasn't impressed at all and then a friend of mine who is a journalist and photographer was doing an interview and behind the scenes of the new show, she took me along with her knowing I used to watch MacGyver back then and I was even more unimpressed with how that show was being done. I was actually asked whether I liked the show and was honest and said that I truthfully preferred the original to the reboot and it turned into what I didn't like and I probably irked a lot of people that day on the set, but they said they wanted an honest opinion and I gave it.
Good for you, LexiW!
Barbara
LexiW

Post by LexiW »

I had checked out the first episode I admit before even getting to go with my friend to see the behind the scenes. I wasn't impressed by the show nor what I saw behind the scenes. To me it's not a good show for kids to watch , RDA was a great role model for kids to look up to.

I guess for me I've always been outspoken,before the original MacGyver ever aired where I was from went through a horrific tragedy and kids were going through a rough time and finally MacGyver aired and that show helped so many kids and so many looked up to Mac (RDA) as a great role model. So to see what they have done with this new show is garbage. Don't mess with perfection.
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

I totally agree with you LexiW!! And so good you gave your opinion!! Hurray for you!!
It's already gone from the telly here.. I doubt if they are going to show season 2...
Lots of love,

Lies

NiLa

Post by NiLa »

Ok, I promised my opinion on the MacGyver Reboot, sorry it took so long, I was busy. :?
I watched the first two episodes and honestly I don't know exactly how to begin....

The introduction in the first minutes begins with: "My Name is Angus MacGyver"....WHAT??? Mac was always embarrased because of his name and we waited 7 seasons to have it revealed.

And Mac works with a team....just like Mission Impossible?....one guy for the action (MacGyver), one for back up (Jack Dalton...and he shoots up people!), one hacker (Nikki Carpenter....and oh my god she's Mac's girlfriend (ok for me) and a traitor (very bad idea). And then there is Patricia Thornton, the boss in the background.
The characters are completely shallow, nothing like the original MacGyver.
The new Mac is too cocky and arrogant, not the friendly, caring, sensitive guy we love.
Jack Dalton is a kind of soldier, gives him back up, by shooting the bad guys. And he seems not to be very clever, e.g. in the first episodes he waites half an hour for Mac in a boat, then Mac comes with the bad guys on his heels, they escape in the boat and he did not disable the other one, so we have a nice pursuit on the lake. What did Jack do the complete 30 minutes? DISABLE THE OTHER BOAT, IDIOT! :x
The original Jack Dalton was always a bit annoying with his crazy ideas, but you just had to love him.
Nikki is out of the picture (apparently killed) after a couple of minutes, but later she is back and it turns out she is a traitor who sold out Mac and the DXS. Because of that the team needs another genius hacker and finds it....surprise.... in a prison where the hacker (girl) is sentenced for five years for whatever (I forgot, also her name, unimportant).
And Thornton is just the boss, there is no deep friendship like in the original.
There were MacGyverisms there, one of them I liked pretty much, Mac built himself an nightvision, that was cool. The other ones weren't bad either, but nothing new (for example the way tho get the fingerprint for the safe) but I didn't like the way they were presented. The producers used split screen to explain them combined with writings like "duct tape", "paperclip" etc. A little less pace with better voice overs would have been better. The voice overs were a bit condescending and arrogant. I didn't like them at all.
Also the producers didn't get the timeline right, so they were wrong about the death of MacGyver's parents.
A positive thing I remember is, during a hand to hand fight Jack Dalton threw a gun towards Mac, he cought it and knocked the other guy out with it. Then he just let it fall. Thanks for small favours.
The complete story is told way faster than in the original, much more action and explosions. I think that's the way producers want to keep the audience's attention....action from the beginning to the end. I see it with my kids, they are not patient enough to wait how a story unfolds itself, They are used to the fact, that a story starts with 100% and doesn't slow down until the end, unfortunately that's the way it is today mostly.
And one very important point:

Our original MacGyver is SO MUCH MORE HANDSOME! That was a man....not that kid from the reboot! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think by now you figured that I don't like the MacGyver Reboot very much. I endured two episodes and wasted two hours of my lifetime for it. No more!

For someone who never watched the Original it might be a nice action show, but it is definitely not MACGYVER.

As Cy says in her great clips in the end:

There the only one MacGyver .....is RDA and will be forever. Period.
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

https://stcloudstatearchives.tumblr.com ... loud-state
That's also the thought in this article of the st.Cloud State University ;) (but it wasn't cheesy imho..)
look at him :lol: LOVE it!!
Lots of love,

Lies

eurmos

Post by eurmos »

Annelies wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:36 pm https://stcloudstatearchives.tumblr.com ... loud-state
That's also the thought in this article of the st.Cloud State University ;) (but it wasn't cheesy imho..)
look at him :lol: LOVE it!!
And a couple of years later while at Ohio University.
(I had to add this one since I'm an Ohio girl.)
Beth
zuzik2301

Post by zuzik2301 »

MacGyver with blue eyes and blonde hair and Jack Dalton with a gun... Ok. Sure. Why not? --- Irony
Honestly now. They destroyed my childhood and my hero. :cry: I want 40 minutes of my life back. Sorry but this new show is like a nightmare. I'm really happy Richard said no to them. Because he is the one and only MacGyver.
If you want to know where your heart is look to where your mind goes when it wanders