MacGyver Reboot

CMac

Re: MacGyver Reboot

Post by CMac »

You made an excellent point, Caty! That's exactly why I like the original show. It has action, but it also makes you think. :)
EMTP513

Post by EMTP513 »

Grimey wrote:
CMac wrote:Agreed. There have been discussions elsewhere about this "new" MacGyver being cocky, and the argument I have seen from those defending the reboot goes something like this: "Well, RDA's Mac was cocky in the first season, too." Really? I didn't really see that--more like confidence. There is a fine line between being confident and cocky, and if RDA seems "cocky" in the first season, I think it's because he's being playful and humorous and as one writer from the original show pointed out recently on the MacGyver Project blog, he felt that was RDA's way of learning his character and being an actor.

Now, maybe this new guy is also learning about his character too, but from what I have seen so far there is none of the humor or humility that RDA projected--while also displaying confidence and strength. That is a difficult balance, and a difficult thing for an actor to portray adequately, yet RDA did it so brilliantly. :D I think it's as Henry Winkler once said--RDA has a screen presence that shows vulnerability. He is likable--people respect him. I have never heard from a guy one negative (or jealous ;) ) word about him. All the guys I know respect him and looked up to the character of MacGyver. I don't think anyone could look up to this new guy's character. He just doesn't have the same nuances, the same fun quirks, as RDA's MacGyver had. He made Mac a three-dimensional character. The jury is still out if these new folks working on the reboot can do the same.
Thanks for putting in words right what I feel about this!
I think people like the thought of being rescued by MacGyver themselves, because he makes people feel worthy, individual, important. Because he is able to move out of the focus himself. That was very special about this show, and is special about RDA, what I learnt.
Perhaps it is too much to expect a "normal" actor in a "normal" reboot to behave in a similar way... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hope I could express what I mean :? :?: :oops: :P :P
It was? I thought it was that way, sometimes, in later seasons. In the first season in one episode he said he wasn't perfect. That's about all I look for in a person. If they think they're a "work in progress," as one of my brothers called it, I can handle them. But I was married to a guy who's father honestly believed himself the picture of perfection walking, or sleeping, or sitting, etc. and I was with the son for 18 yrs. I got tired of looking at the picture of perfection every week when we went to his parents' house to eat Sunday dinner. I can't relate to a perfect person, I make too many mistakes of my own. I feel most comfortable with ordinary people.
Besides it was the writers who turned MacGyver altruistic, but I don't understand why the person playing the character doesn't have a say in the matter. I know actors on the B line (I'm guessing it's called that when you're not on the A list) and none of them ever argue with the director or writer. I don't know why. As a viewer I don't want a perfect character, that immediately makes them not like me and I can no longer relate to them. The only characters I can relate to are those who work in the health care profession but they never give EMT characters any traits at all. I was watching a movie yesterday with EMT's in it and all they did was treat the patient. I guess that's what writers think of EMS IDK. I wish they'd actually ask one of us. It can't be that hard to talk to people in EMS. The only exception I've seen was the movie about a firefighter and some woman who fall in love at Christmas because she has a cat and so does he.
I've never thought Richard Dean Anderson's characters were that bad except for the one that was supposed to be that way. I've only watched one movie where he played a bad guy.
Stoneridge

Post by Stoneridge »

We finally got to see the MacGyver reboot here in NZ last night for the first time. I don’t know if anyone has posted here about this or not but my personal opinion on it is that it would have been much better if they had of used the following scenario or something along these lines.

Older MacGyver (possibly even RDA) as head of the Phonenix Foundation. Promoted as such due to the fact that Pete had retired and he could no longer carry on with his eyesight affliction, (as was the case in real life) MacGyver’s son, Sean Angus Malloy (Malloy/MacGyver) as taking over the reins from where MacGyver left off but now in the 21st century. Since Pete (Dana Elcar) is no longer with us then I think this would have been a perfect portrayal of MacGyver carrying on as the lead of the Phonenix foundation as Pete Thornton did. As in the very last episode of MacGyver was shown with MacGyver and Sean riding off into the unknown. I am unsure what other people think but I feel that this kind of scenario would have pleased ardent RDA followers and MacGyver loyalists, at the same time intriguing a new younger generation of MacGyver followers. Unfortunately for me this re-boot was kind of a cross between James Bond and the A Team.

I was trying really hard to see the series as a re-boot, but it was difficult to say the least.
Clean/Green NZ
Take only photos, leave only footprints.
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Stoneridge wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:12 pm We finally got to see the MacGyver reboot here in NZ last night for the first time. I don’t know if anyone has posted here about this or not but my personal opinion on it is that it would have been much better if they had of used the following scenario or something along these lines.

Older MacGyver (possibly even RDA) as head of the Phonenix Foundation. Promoted as such due to the fact that Pete had retired and he could no longer carry on with his eyesight affliction, (as was the case in real life) MacGyver’s son, Sean Angus Malloy (Malloy/MacGyver) as taking over the reins from where MacGyver left off but now in the 21st century. Since Pete (Dana Elcar) is no longer with us then I think this would have been a perfect portrayal of MacGyver carrying on as the lead of the Phonenix foundation as Pete Thornton did. As in the very last episode of MacGyver was shown with MacGyver and Sean riding off into the unknown. I am unsure what other people think but I feel that this kind of scenario would have pleased ardent RDA followers and MacGyver loyalists, at the same time intriguing a new younger generation of MacGyver followers. Unfortunately for me this re-boot was kind of a cross between James Bond and the A Team.

I was trying really hard to see the series as a re-boot, but it was difficult to say the least.
Now that would be a better way and I actually hoped for such a thing..I agree with you Stoneridge and it would be better if they didn't use the names of the characters it's weird...Thursday last week I saw Nikki pointing a gun under table towards MacGyver...she made me think of Deborah....so NOT Nikki....and Murdoc....tried to yell MacGyver like Michael Des Barres did but didn't come close...
Glad to see you by the way ;)
Lots of love,

Lies

Stoneridge

Post by Stoneridge »

Aww thanks Lies. I am around - more lurking than anything. I did not realise when I bought this place two years ago that it would steal so much of my free time and it's been a hard road seperating that balance of home life from work life since I've been working at home since I moved down here.

I agree with you also, I found it difficult to get my head around the characters with the same names. Jack Dalton for a start was never that witty. And as for MacGyver having to rely on others to help him, somehow it just does not sit right.
Clean/Green NZ
Stoneridge

Post by Stoneridge »

Hey Lies, are you up to about episode 14 over there? This was our first one and who knows if Prime TV will continue with it. They had discussions on the radio this morning and sadly not one person liked it, the announcer even went so far as to say "I lost an hour of my life" that's a bit extreme and uncalled for I think. The writers/producers/crew are not attempting to make some sort of a flop at all. But I do feel that if they were using the same characters/names etc then perhaps should have kept it on par with the original characters.
Clean/Green NZ
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Well, same here... not a warm welcome at all but I think, just like you say, they should have made a different line in it... they announced here that it is a serie about the young MacGyver before the original series. Wrong announcement cause that would be very akward... I guess we are up to episode 14.. I have no idea... watched two or three episodes now but not anymore.. it irritates me a lot because of what they made of it..
Lots of love,

Lies

CMac

Post by CMac »

You know, I've been thinking about something...

They could have just released a made-for-TV movie that was a reboot instead of an entire new series, and I might have been OK with that. I still wouldn't watch it, though. ;)
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Yes just like they did with The A team.. played in the cinemas though but it was once.. you can't reboot that either, Dwight, Kirk, George and Mr T were the A team, kind of magical chemistry..
If you want to make a reboot it has to be done by professionals who cherish the original and make it alive again, like those actors and crew from Stargate SG-1.. know these people?? You should check them out.They are awesome!!!..I have one big favourite, his birthday is coming up soon.. Tomorrow to be exact (concidering it's Sunday the 22th right here) :P ;)
Lots of love,

Lies

BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB »

I decided to watch an episode of the new MacGyver just to see what it was like. I lasted about 10 minutes! It seems to me that the producers took the characters' names without any thought to their personalities in the original series. Some of my problems with it are:

No RDA

"Our" MacGyver did not need a team. He was the team.

He also did everything without the aid of a smartphone.

"Our" MacGyver would never have a partner, especially one who was so comfortable using a gun.

No hockey!

Although the new MacGyver uses some science, you really don't sense our Mac's love of science and the things he can do with it.

No RDA!

Barbara
Barbara