MacGyver Reboot

honorius

Re: MacGyver Reboot

Post by honorius »

Nah...Katie he's right. the new show is crap and lucas not deserve to be Richard's son.....but unfortunately the show has the MacGyver label and no matter if they did it the wrong way Richard should think that most of the fans want him to be there after long 20 plus years.
even if we have lucas as his son it's better than to have no Richard at all.
it's better to have a kind of sequel that the auful reboot we have so far.

IN MY BOOK...........THEY SHOULD FIND A WAY TO FIX THE SHOW AND PUT ALSO RICHARD IN THE MIX.

THAT'S WHAT THE FANS WANT.

RICHARD IN THE SHOW.......AND A NEW WORTHY MAC RELATIVE TO CONTINUE THE SHOW.

If it was possible I would bring back DANA ELCAR too...........I really missed those past great supportive mac characters.
CMac

Post by CMac »

If this guy was Mac's son, do you think he'd necessarily follow in his father's footsteps? I mean, take a look at the son he had at the end of the series. He was a journalist. Sure, there were some similarities and overlap--the globe-trotting, some of the same knack for ingenious, clever improvisation--but he was essentially his own person. He wasn't a government agent like his dad. I'm not saying a son of Mac's couldn't do the same thing, I just think it's a little tiresome in these reboots where they use it as a plot device to "pass the torch."

It would have been interesting if MacGyver's son had been able to have his own spinoff after the original series ended -- it would be kind of fun to see what assignments he would get. If they wanted to reboot it, they could have tried this premise, but again as Kate said, it still wouldn't quite be MacGyver. Only MacGyver (AKA RDA ;) ) is MacGyver.

And as Caty mentioned before, MacGyver would have better sense than to raise a son as smug and arrogant as this one. :roll:
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

CMac wrote:If this guy was Mac's son, do you think he'd necessarily follow in his father's footsteps?
Not to mention, the actor who played Mac's son in the series would be 45 years old now. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maybe Mac's grandson? :lol: :lol:

How can it be that so many years have passed? (And I'm sure none of us have gotten any older in the meantime.) Did you all celebrate the 31st anniversary of the MacGyver pilot last Thursday? :D At least one good thing in all this - it's making me nostalgic for my original DVDs.

Kate
CMac

Post by CMac »

Yes, but Mac had Sam young, so theoretically this "new guy" could be his son, too. I'm just a few years older than the actor in this reboot, and my mom is RDA's age, so he could "still" be MacGyver's son, but of course then we have a continuity issue once again between the original series and this one. I hope that made sense. :lol:

Yes! I saw that it was the anniversary of the original! Woo hoo! :D It makes me nostalgic for a different reason--I wish I had been around when the original premiered instead of this new one. :(
honorius

Post by honorius »

yeah guys...years pass so quickly...I remember back in 1985 when the show started I was still in....HIGH SCHOOL.....trying to imitate what was MacGyver doing in the chemistry class......LOL

Anyways....what I hoped...(still hope) is that if there was ever a new MacGyver show we could see Richard in it for one final time as MacGyver before this life is finally over.

DO I ASK MUCH ?
CMac

Post by CMac »

I've heard discussions about how some people would have liked a female "Mac" for this reboot instead, maybe a daughter instead of a son. I used to pretend I was a female "MacGyver" when I was a kid, and it did get me interested in science. Of course the Citan ads RDA did as MacGyver also featured a daughter figure. What are your thoughts? It might have reduced the controversy somewhat, but then again it seems the trend these days is to "gender flip" every reboot. They did it with Ghostbusters, and I hear they're doing it with Magnum P.I. and even Splash, for heaven's sake! :roll: It seems like Wylie is more interested in theatre than television or film (which I think is a smart move, considering the poor quality of most productions these days in comparison to Hamilton, for example), but wouldn't that have been interesting if she filled her dad's shoes as a "new" MacGyver? ;)
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Whahaha Cmac, Honorius(WELCOME!!),

MacGyver helped me through high school, in class for example with science, but also helped me through a lot of bullying. He thought me to be confident...... tjee, I was 14 then, now 36, my goodness, I was 5 when MacGyver started, time FLIES!!!!!!!!

Now how are they going to put RDA in it?????? As a Harry???? Who is kicking butts out of everyone???......Now what are you thinking bud, where is your feelin? Wouldn't be logical cause he died, I can hear him say it :lol: and boy they need some kicks. Here in the Netherlands we always get shows when the first 3 seasons are over I guess, so I didn't see it, but when I am reading all of this I want to go and don't read it, almost hurts a bit.....How could they think of something like this, look how Rick made MacGyver, I mean, didn't they learn anything of it? Really to bad..
Lots of love,

Lies

honorius

Post by honorius »

hello to you too mac fan.............here my thoughts

They just have to fix the new show so to bring back Richard.

they need to make an episode in which past mac's enemies appear years after the past events chasing now mac's son in order to get revenge.

so they need to clear lucas is mac's son......Richard returns in action to protect his son and from there the new show flows.

maybe penny can be involved in the series as well as young mac's mother.

maybe a tribute to dana elcar can attract more mac fans from the past.

I am sick and tired of useless remakes without any connection to the old series.

one of the reasons I loved the new knight rider show in 2011 is that Hasselhoff was back in the pilot as Michael knight to welcome his son as his successor to the new series.

same thing must happen with the new MacGyver series...........there is no MacGyver without Richard and HURTS LIKE A BITCH TO SEE A NEW SERIES USING THE MAC NAME WITHOUT RICHARD IN IT.

AND WHERE IS THE GREAT THEME MUSIC ?

THEY NEED TO FIX THOSE THINGS...BRING BACK MAC..........SO ALL FANS COULD RETURN.

HIGH RATINGS IN THE PILOT EPISODE EARNED JUST CAUSE OF THE NAME................MACGYVER.

IF THE SHOW WAS NOT NAMED....MACGYVER............I BET YOU A MILLION RATINGS WOULD HAVE BEEN ZERO.

Imagine how much higher the ratings would be if we knew Richard was back and the show was fixed as it should be.

NEVER IS TOO LATE.............PLEASE THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE NEW SHOW................FIX IT ONCE AND FOR ALL.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

honorius wrote:maybe penny can be involved in the series as well as young mac's mother.
NOOOO,please ,NOOOO...
CMac

Post by CMac »

The original MacGyver is playful and childlike yet mature, qualities I see in the actor who portrayed him. ;) He has experience. He has been through enough and seen enough to share his wisdom with others.

I think one of the main problems I have is that this "new guy" lacks all of that, and it isn't simply because he's younger. You can be an "old soul" at 16 if you want to be. I'm fairly young and I consider myself wise beyond my years. The point is that the writers made him shallow, arrogant, and immature. If they thought they were trying to recapture the humor and mischievous side of MacGyver that RDA brought to the role, then they sorely miscalculated. :roll: