MacGyver Reboot

nicolemj@otenet.gr

Re: MacGyver Reboot

Post by nicolemj@otenet.gr »

Thank you CMac for this great article. Very interesting and very true about everything it mentions. It was a joy reading it.
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Just came home from night shift and almost felt of the couch while commercialbreak....
Watch MacGyver, the TV sensation now in America! What sensation???? That's not what I've heard :D it is sensation that it didn't took 10 years before it came on tv here though... :D
Lots of love,

Lies

Annelies

Post by Annelies »

At work right now missed the reboot yesterday night but it's the conversation of the day... a famous soccerclub lost last night..In the news was pronounced that it was even worse then the new MacGyver.. a whole discussion started here at the shelter.. The original MacGyver...those were times that was awesome ;) 8-)
GO RICK GO RICK...
Reboot wasn't so well received here also
Lots of love,

Lies

CMac

Post by CMac »

You know, I just thought of another reason why I find the reboot offensive as an original MacGyver fan. The new writers, producers, etc. seem to treat the MacGyver character as a generic superhero type, one who can be played by any actor, the role disposable. You see that all the time with James Bond, and the non-stop parade of superheroes--they are often played by multiple, different actors like so many moving, interchangeable parts. To me, that's not only insulting to the memory of the MacGyver character -- it makes it difficult to identify, hence "like" the character, because we never know who he really is or what to expect. Each actor brings their own interpretation which makes the character inconsistent, and much less believable.

Now, I often hear the argument from those who like the new show that MacGyver can be played by anyone and it wouldn't make a difference to them, but that's pretty insulting considering how much talent and effort RDA put into making the character whole.
Annelies

Post by Annelies »

Now, I often hear the argument from those who like the new show that MacGyver can be played by anyone and it wouldn't make a difference to them, but that's pretty insulting considering how much talent and effort RDA put into making the character whole.
I don't think that's true and I understand so well that you felt insulted....
If I look to the James Bond films there is a big difference....They changed the actor but kept the storyline of the character alive..
Also with the characters around him (Q for example)I think the change of actors was well thought.....
If they would have changed James Bond in a way they did with the MacGyver reboot I don't think it will have last like it did now. I don't think any actor can play James Bond either...
And boy, would Rick have been a good Bond!!
If they would have done that with the MacGyver reboot and had involved Rick it would be an other story and it would maybe be like Rick mentioned in his interview. One thing would be clear, Mac would be Mac, Jack would be Jack etc.. and not a whole different story......

The bad reviews gave me a boost actually.. My pride for our man grew (didn't know I could be anymore prouder but it grew.....)when I saw the comment on the news and hearing people talking about him and how they enjoyed MacGyver back then and this new thing didn't even come close......Nobody can replace him and that's not only here in this froggy land, it's around the world so it seems.......
Lots of love,

Lies

nicolemj@otenet.gr

Post by nicolemj@otenet.gr »

You said it perfectly Lies. I agree 100% with you. I like the fact that more and more people have realized that this new series, has nothing to do with the original. It's a totally different show. And it makes me also proud to know that they acknowledge the authenticity and the genuine character of the real MacGyver, which belongs, and always will, to our man. Bottom line, there's ONLY ONE MACGYVER, and that's RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON. And this quote you have posted (May you be proud of the work you do, the person you are, and the difference you make), is so beautiful and so true. Rick has certainly made the difference and we couldn't be more proud.
EMTP513

Post by EMTP513 »

I didn't want another MacGyver either but I was worried I was being too nostalgic for the old one or something.
I also disliked when they did a new Nightmare On Elm Street and even used a new actor as Freddy instead of Robert Englund. I don't think anyone else can do Freddy Kruger like he did, and I like Heather Langenkamp, the one who played Nancy in the first and third movies, also in Freddy's New Nightmare or something like that.
Some things I think shouldn't be messed with. Nightmare On Elm Street and MacGyver are two of them.
But I'm sure the guy doing the character will be okay doing it. Some things work out better than I thought, like the young actress who plays teenage Dorothy on Golden Girls. She was so good at it that you could hardly see a difference between the two people. It was like they were one person at two different times in life. Whoever that young woman was she was super talented.
Caty

Post by Caty »

After an argument on twitter about the new MacGywer show I found a way to put the difference in a nutshell:

While this new show is a lot of action and blowing up the original one (our MacGywer ;) ) was a show of (as we say in german) low voices.

The online dictionary says: "to give a modest account" but I don't know if that fits and how to put it in a phrase.
Can anyone help me here? Did I make myself clear? Do you understand what I tried to say?
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)
Anne

Post by Anne »

Caty wrote:After an argument on twitter about the new MacGywer show I found a way to put the difference in a nutshell:

While this new show is a lot of action and blowing up the original one (our MacGywer ;) ) was a show of (as we say in german) low voices.

The online dictionary says: "to give a modest account" but I don't know if that fits and how to put it in a phrase.
Can anyone help me here? Did I make myself clear? Do you understand what I tried to say?

I'm not sure what exactly you want to say - but you need to put a comma after 'blowing up' - otherwise the meaning of your sentence : While this new show is a lot of action and blowing up the origina show' - reads as if the new show is blowing up the original show :) I guess what you're trying to say is that the original MacGyver was more than just an action based show, that it had a much deeper meaning and a message, while the new one is just about action and explosives.
Caty

Post by Caty »

Anne wrote: I'm not sure what exactly you want to say - but you need to put a comma after 'blowing up' - otherwise the meaning of your sentence : While this new show is a lot of action and blowing up the origina show' - reads as if the new show is blowing up the original show :) I guess what you're trying to say is that the original MacGyver was more than just an action based show, that it had a much deeper meaning and a message, while the new one is just about action and explosives.
Thank you, Anne.
It's logical, I should have read it again before posting ;)
So again:
Caty wrote:After an argument on twitter about the new MacGywer show I found a way to put the difference in a nutshell:

While this new show is a lot of action and blowing up, the original one (our MacGywer ;) ) was a show of (as we say in german) low voices.

And you are right, I meant the original show was much more subtle, it gave people something to think of. It had a message!
"No matter how hard the past,
you can always begin again.
"

(Buddha)